Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Hello Everyone - Page 20 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:50 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 6ujrhj20 Rita so sorry to hear your TV not working so do hope not anything serious. I,m sure you would have enjoyed your time with Muriel.You seem quite happy in your bungalow and seem to be nice neighbours which counts for a lot.I have only one cooking apple tree and one eating apple tree but there seems to be an awful lot of  apples this year
Jean so sorry you did not get your carpet laid and seems such a poor excuse not to have lifted the carpet.hope you can get it all sorted soon
Well a better day here so got some more housework up to date also tried on some clothes as going to caravan this weekend so had to find out what would fit and pleased did find some items
[/b[b]] I,m sure Pauline will be enjoying her break
[/b]
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Cz348n18   Hello Ladies.  Got home early afternoon after calling in B & M and Rachel did quite a bit of shopping she needed and got loads of plants for the Winter to replace some in the planters and I reckon she now needs to buy some more planters to get all of them in.  I just bought two trays of their winter pansies to liven up the baskets here and really must start the big tidy up of the garden this week.  I have got the washing done (3 lots and of course, ironing will be piling up again), case emptied, clean clothes hung up (although not back in wardrobe yet) and my bus pass was here so can use that tomorrow to collect prescription and the £50 from YouGov surveys is in the bank.  Been working out how much I spent and seeing if I have anything that can be switched back to the savings.

We had a great break and any small amount of rain never bothered us at all - mostly sunny and good temperatures while we were there.  On the way there we called in at Diss and had a light lunch and arrived about 4 - Guest House was great and we got settled in there and went out for a walk along the front and then had a Thai meal.  All in bed fairly early on Friday night and then off on Saturday morning, after a full breakfast, to Yarmouth market where we got a few bargains and looked in the charity shops and Rachel and I both found a black handbag each, which we needed and then off to Horsey Beach where we had a paddle (sea not too cold either) and watched the seals playing in the breakers.  Drove back, calling in a couple of other places and got back to Yarmouth early afternoon and decided to have a drink and an early meal as we were off to the Greyhound races that evening.  Enjoyed that too and bought some tombola tickets for the greyhound rehoming fund (didn't win, but all in a good cause).  Won a bit of money on a couple of the races, but came out down on the cash, but not that much and all enjoyed a good evening with a few drinks. Got back and had some snacks while we watched a DVD which I found in a charity shop  (a bit later to bed that night).

Sunday, again another nice breakfast and off to West Runton to see Hillside's Shire Horse Sanctuary. I have supported them for years and because their Animal Sanctuary at Frettenham was closed with a lot of work going on, they had moved some of the animals from there to the Horse Sanctuary and I actually saw Inti and Lupi the two alpacas that are my adopted pair.  Also because of the virus and the fact that they couldn't put on the rides or usual entertainments, they had opened the whole place for free until October - well you couldn't leave there without donating.  We also had coffee there and then back along the coast to Sherringham where we stopped for a drink and that lager went down well with me.  Walked around there for a while and then back to Yarmouth and just had to visit the arcades losing the pennies and a walk along the pier and then back to the guest house and rested for a while, changed and went for another walk and found a great restaurant where we enjoyed another evening meal.

After breakfast yesterday we went straight back to Rugby because Stephen had a small amount of work to do when he got back on the computer and we all wanted to be back before Ralph finished his first day at work (he got the apprenticeship in admin) and Rachel went to pick him up and one of the ladies at the firm was pleased to see her and showed her around  - really friendly people and Ralph seemed to be happy there.  I actually managed to finish the book I was reading when we got back and in one of the charity shops I bought another book which I am going to start this week - reckoned to be one of the top books "The Tatooist of Auschwitz" - love story about the Jewish tatoo artist who put the numbers on the arms of the prisoners and fell in love with a girl he was tatooing - sounds so different from a lot of other novels.

Going to post this message and then read your posts and see what has been happening with all of you and answer you all in another post.  
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 37kv0y10 Back again and now to read what you have all been doing.

Dian, yes I was lucky with the £50 being available before the weekend break and we were so lucky with the weather, but of course, had to pack more than what really was needed (thicker cardigans, etc., in case they were needed) but really could wear them in the evening and go out without a coat (just a light waterproof in case it rained, which it didn't). As you can see from my post above, the replacement bus pass was here already, so that is lucky. See you had nasty weather last Thursday with rain lashing down and when Rachel picked me up on Thursday we did get rain on the way to Rugby and during that evening. Anyway see you were off for a fish tea at your son's with some gin too Smile  and your d-in-l was picking you up for that. Never ending for you at the moment with the apple collecting, but see your daughter picked you and a friend up on Friday and you all went for a snack and then after dropping your friend at home, you went to Home Bargains where you wanted some shopping and you were going to enjoy a relaxing afternoon after that. On Saturday I see you made an appointment to have your hair trimmed this week and on Sunday it was your youngest granddaughter's 16th birthday and you had the card and was going to put money in that - much appreciated at that age. See your daughter picked you up on Sunday and you spent the afternoon there celebrating the 16th birthday, but still horrible weather with the rain on Monday and you were facing picking up more apples. Thank goodness the weather was a bit better today for you and you got some housework done and sorted out some clothes again to see what fitted as you are off to the caravan again at the weekend and hope the better weather settles this week and it is a good weekend for you all. Here it got very grey this afternoon and we lost the sun, but it had that very hot feel out there - almost as if a storm was coming - I hope not and we have been promised a heatwave now. Talking about clothes fitting, we have all decided that now we are home, we have all got to try and get the weight off.

Rita, sorry you lost that post congratulating Jean and David for their anniversary and commenting about my bus pass (as you can see above, now have the replacement). Sounded a nice lunch out with your niece and her young friend at one of Bedford's best hotels. It certainly is a lovely feeling to get out of the house and dine out and see other people (even if it is at a distance). Sitting in Gt Yarmouth on Saturday when we had an early meal, it just felt so normal again to be able to sit and enjoy a drink before the meal and see people walking past. I see on Friday you went to the chemists again for more eye drops and it is awful the time you have to hang on the phone to get through for an appointment. That is why I gave up trying to phone the council about the bus pass - three times when you get a series of numbers, then press the one you want and then another load of them and eventually you join the queue which I gave up on after 5 minutes, so was really thankful the library was open on Wednesday and I got the bus pass sorted there and can imagine how tiring it has been for you trying to get through for an appointment and it really is wrong. when there is something urgent that should be dealt with. After you chatting to that lady on the way back it made me realise that the £900 I had to pay for my fence to be replaced, was quite reasonable - I knew it was because the amount of upright posts and cross bars that had to be purchased and cement and then plank by plank it was built with nails holding each plank on the three cross struts and there were the boards at the bottom finishing it off, the v cuts that had to be made for the cross struts to fit into the uprights and that was about 32ft long and then turned a corner to cross a further 8ft, the removal of all of the old stuff and the breaking down of that and as you can see, not ready made flimsy panels used, but built with individual planks all the whole length. It certainly was an expense I could have done without, but at least it is a good sturdy job done with all treated timber. What a shame that your niece couldn't spend her holiday in Canada with your daughter and son-in-law and disappointing for all of them as that lodge had been booked in the forest. Looks as though things are getting bad again here and restrictions getting stricter as to how many of us can get together again in a house and some places back to complete lockdown. Hope you did manage to get some weeding done in the garden - can be quite a help the garden work when we have to be by ourselves. Just read your post from Monday and that's all you need, the t v not working and Virgin saying it isn't them, so now you have got to wait until Friday for the repair people to come out. I do hope you manage to see Muriel this week and just get hard hearted with regard to all of the charity pleas - after all Rita, we do what we can and you can't let yourself get upset about what you cannot do. All week without the t v and do hope it is only something small and can be repaired. Suppose it is best to keep busy and do some turning out. Has your local library opened up yet and can you get any books for reading? Plenty of books in the charity shops we found over the weekend and I mentioned that one in my first post above, that I am going to read next.

Jean see you were searching for black rugs on Thursday, but no luck and have you managed to find what you wanted on Ebay yet? Glad there was no damage done when David fell and Okient and Kaz had to help him up and that was really because he couldn't use one of his arms when he was trying to get up the carpet tape. See your eyes were affected by the paint when Okient got the first coat on in the hall and says that another coat is needed. Still the carpet not done - what a palaver over that and problems with Virgin about the t v channels you are supposed to have - I am wondering if it is Virgin that is causing the trouble for Rita, although they said it wasn't them. Makes me so happy that I just have Freeview and not bother with any of the other suppliers that charge and seem to give you all so many problems. Well I hope something got sorted for you in the end and you get that carpet down soon and the painting finished.

I think I have caught up with all of the posts now and had my bath before I started this, so had better get myself off to bed as it is now midnight. Have a good night's sleep all of you.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am
Pauline I would have freeview for myself but David has to have the sport.....Virgin are complete rubbish
still awaiting carpet fitter.....another phone call
place is like a tip now we do not have a room free.
catch up with you all later
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:06 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Ckplib16 Pauline you certainly had a lovely time and got to visit quite a lot of nice places and outings and weather was quite good too which makes a big difference.Laughed at you buying more plants as I did too at HB last week I got some autumn plants.Great you have got washing done ect and good news for your bus pass.Yes fencing is expensive but worth it especially to get done properly.Your book does sound interesting
Jean lets hope you finally get sorted out with your carpet laying then you can relax.
Rita hope your having a good day Do hope you can get your TV sorted soon
Well another dry but blustery day so far so another lot of apples to pick up and lots more to come down grrrr. See this virus is spreading again which is a worry.My son in London is coming up this weekend so looking forward to seeing him.Now off to local shop to get milk and bread.Hair getting trimmed and set tomorrow (I hope)Have a good day ladies
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm
Its me, hurrah! Tv ok. I phoned my son and he came round and fixed. It.  bUT what puzzles me is that I know the disco time it went funny and I had never moved me ir the TV so how did it cone to be a loose fitting at th bsck if the AtV, however, all is well, thankfully., I must say i am feeling rather irritated by the noise snd disruptions from next door where they are still building two bungalows on land I which has been vacant fir  the twenty years i have been here. Two huge lorries a crane snd a digger thing all out there, all parked  in front of my house,. So noisy. Of course it's one w ay traffic too so cars queue up to get by.
I saw Muriel yesterday, her hubby pushing himself to get garden things done as quote fir cutting trimming trees exorbitant, she always  got something wrong snd Dr tablets never help, I mentioned that I take vitamins etc but she  scorned that,  doesnt like to say her age etc a birthday coming up..   It takes me long time to do y housework nowadays where I used to whizz thro, but it's doing it properly. Into the corners, skirting boards etc. Dunno how home helps manage with just one hour a week for people.  Friend told me Age Concern charges £17 hour now). Spiders seem to be coming in more, must be the colder nights and I found a ladybird in the
crevice of the window, I suppose it is Autumn now.  Tomorrow I will get the pick up bus to Sainsburys and then be dropped off at door with shopping ion return. Such a good help.
Pauline, what a relief getting your bus pass there when you returned from your happy break away.   Glad you Had decent weather now your garden will be crying out for your attention.
Dian. Oh it will be a treat for you to see your son from London, actually seeing him. We are fortunate to have such good means if communication but  csnt beat  actusl presence.  You have a good selection if shops around you, are peopke keeping their distance. Lol it's a sort  of "dance around folks" isn't it.!
Jean, I see you too are with Virgin, it us a frustrating time on the phone trying to get thro to someone on their line, press this/that gies on fir ever, and then when do get thro they transfer to someone else.m another Dept. Patience is definitely needed. It was suggested to me that I email, cannot see hiw that would get attention.
I think I will just walk up and down the road a but to get away from the noise next door.  I hope thus mskes sense when you read it, but I am using iPad snd csn hardly read it myself it's such tiny letters.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:15 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Gml_fa12 Pauline hope you managed into the garden to get it in shape for winter.The break will set you up for the winter I will need to try and loose quite a few pounds as have to try on several items to find one which will fit ....grrrr
Rita so pleased your son fixed your tv for you Bet that cheered you up.Yes the noise next door will be getting to you when it never stops.Listen we all slow down with housework the older we get When I think how much I could do when i was working and now just cannot be bothered
Jean do hope all gets sorted soon with your carpet.It is so annoying when you can not clear your feet
Funny day not sure if it will rain or not.Daughter taking me to hairdresser so pleased with that as would have had to have a taxi.Back has been quite painful these last few days but just going to take some painkillers and hope they work.Quite a wind blowing so hope it eases up soon.Now off to have a snack Have a good day ladies
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:20 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Framed11  Hi Ladies.

I got so held up yesterday with unexpected things, phone calls, emails, chasing an Ebay order, etc., that I never did get to the centre.  At least I did get all of the finance sorted, what was left from the holiday spends and what should be switched to the holiday savings and switched the YouGov survey £50 to the savings (still hoping I can save hard to do something about my kitchen  Rolling Eyes) and had enough medication left to leave the collection of the prescription until today, so that is where I am going this morning after posting this.  I also ran out of time and energy to post yesterday, but as it was midnight when I posted on Tuesday and got to bed so late and didn't get the right amount of sleep, I thought I would catch up with your posts today.  I have managed to get all round the bird feeding staton tidied and the grass trimmed around that and the birds are appreciating it and it appears the hedgehogs were back, because their food  had gone by this morning, so that was something achieved in the garden yesterday.

Rachel sent me a photo of a friend that Tilly brought home yesterday - not sure what Ossie their other cat will think about that, but looks a lovely cat:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 Tilly_10

and here are some photos of Hunter on his first day at school:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 11876610 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11879110 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11879610  Hello Everyone - Page 20 11872410 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11888610 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11879210

Sean had booked the day off and took him to school with Aimie (who was taking the photos) - first one walking with Daddy to school, then we get the look on the face as he goes in and then the back look as he has to leave Mummy and Daddy and then after a long day (and it was only about 2 hours for the first couple of days  Smile)

I have got a few photos which I took on holiday and some that Rachel took of me and Stephen and will try and find the time to get those on here tomorrow.

Jean, yes I know you would be happy with Freeview, but it is the men and their sports that you have to put up with the Virgin hit and miss service.  You must be feeling so unsettled with everything out of place and still waiting for the carpet to be fitted - hope it all gets back to normal soon for you.

Dian see you have got some more plants for the Autumn, same as me, but Rachel really did go mad and said to me yesterday that so far she had got one plant in and has to be in the office today and tomorrow, so she will be longer than me getting the lot in that she bought - I really think she will end up with buying more planters and potting fibre. More apples for you to pick up after a blustery day yesterday and you will be looking forward to your son coming up from London at the weekend.  See you got to the local shops for some shopping despite the blustery day and today hope you get the hair trim and set sorted.  It certainly is worrying about the virus spreading again and now back to limiting visits in our homes to six and I think it will get worse when the colleges and universities start again in October. because we know it is a lot of those young adults that haven't been careful enough. Just seen you have posted today before I got this one finished and the weather your way still doesn't seem that settled so that is good that your daughter is taking you to the hairdressers. Do hope the back pain eases for you when you take the tablets and take it easy today with any physical work - housework and gardening will always be there waiting for us Crying or Very sad.

Rita, good news that Peter managed to sort out the tv for you.  It is sometimes vibration that can shake loose some of the connections at the back of those and you must be getting enough of that from all of the building work and heavy machinery being used next to you and can understand you going out for a walk to get away from it all.  I see you met Muriel and had to laugh at your advice being ignored about the vitamins, because she doesn't like to take age into account when it comes to her health and she mentioned that her husband was working in the garden to get ahead ready for the winter.  Same here Rita, physical work takes me much longer these days, but as you said, at least you know the housework gets done properly (into the corners and where dusts collects) and there is no way that any of these homehelps can do things thoroughly in such a small amount of time.  Yes I was very happy to find the bus pass waiting for me on return from that lovely break.  See you are planning to get the bus to Sainsburys today - that is really so handy - Tescos here used to run one from the local villages, but they have stopped that, so is good that Sainsburys still keep theirs running in your area.  I have just received an £8 off of a £50 on line order, if I order from them by 7th October, so might see if that is worth it.  Don't you worry about any spelling mistakes or hiccups in your posts Rita, because I know how tiny it is when we are posting on here - we can understand it all and just lovely to see you posting.

Well ladies I must away now to the centre and hope you all have a good day.

Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 pm
I am worn out cannot do much and there is lots to do. yesterday carpet fitters arrived and sorted it all out and could not understand what all the fuss was about.
they lifted the bed and said dog hairs did not matter and the carpet would be going up the tip anyway. I intend to complain about the cowboys they sent on Monday
I think it was an excuse because they could not put the carpet under the wardrobes, which were empty. the other lot had no trouble.
virgin in my room is not working at the moment and David is trying to fix it., do not think this will happen so will have to get someone in.
Virgin are a pain to contact Rita, and a three hours on the phone is record, two hours followed next day by more.
Glad you had a nice time Pauline look forward to the photosl What did Hunter think of school
Rita one good thing about the noise next door Rita is that you can hear itlllllllllllllllllllllllllwonder how much noise the new neighbours will make.
Dian I agree cannot do much and it is so annoying
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:23 pm
Just a quick note. I have had a very pleasant day. This morning on the bus to Sainsburys with shopping carried right to my door. Then just as I was finishing wiping everything I had bought,, before I put it away in fridge cupboards etc. My niece phoned and
she came for lunch, then we had a walk but it was very windy, I managed very well with two sticks. The Sue helped me prepare the salad for our tea, spring onions, avocado, peppers, lettuce. Tomatoes, boiled eggs and ham. , so nice to have company eating.
Dian, I hope your back pain eases soon, - it's picking up all those apples to blame ! Take care.
Jean, what a relief, you have tp your carpet fitted, and now comes all the work of setting things back in their places again. Such a tiring job.
Pauline, Now that you are back home don't go mad sorting the garden out, even tho you will be itching to get working at it. I hope Hunter likes going to school. I guess being with lots of children yet trying to understand why they all cannot mix closely together and the newness of it all Will be confusing and tiring.
I must go do the washing up now and watch my TV. Byeeeee
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 7acpi412 Wild wet day ....grrrrr
Pauline lovely photos of Hunter How time flies.Laughed at the cat.Good all your finances up to date something less to bother about.Rushing here as getting picked up soon
Jean so glad carpet all done and know it will take time to get all back together Hope David managed to get tv fixed ......so annoying
Rita so pleased you had a lovely day out with your niece also got all your groceries sorted
Rushing here as getting picked up soon.I will not be posting till Monday so have a good weekend ladies
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:14 pm
this morning I had a strange thing that rebooted my computer it was call ed DPCwatchdoginformation. turns out it is something that windows does when your computer
freezers, looked it up on line.
David got virgin to go thank goodness. the place is still in a mess and have to wait for Kaz and Oklent to come tomorrow, as he is at work today.
Rita you had a lovely day out
have a nice time Dian
Pauline how was Gt.Yarmouth?
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Uqqddi10  Yesterday I did get to the centre and collected the prescription, sorted the bank and did the shopping.  Also popped into the lockup and managed to bring home a couple more items - two games that need checking to see if all contents are there and a round box that I had covered, but had only been out for sale once, so I will use that to keep things in as it blends in with my bedroom.  Today I must get out there and really get ahead with the garden work, but so far have been working on the photos and getting them resized to get on here.  Will put them on now and then read and answer your posts afterwards.

These are the two that Rachel took of me and Stephen at West Horsey while we were watching the seals and there is one of the lovely beach there:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 11885810 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11888710 Hello Everyone - Page 20 11883610

There were several taken of the seals playing in the sea, but as you can see from that first one, nothing to be seen until I closed in on them and cropped them so you could see some of the seals in the breakers enjoying it all:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130248 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130249 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130250 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130251 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130252

The last two you can just see a glimpse of them swimming through those breakers as they come into the beach.  There were about 30 of them, but trouble was you just couldn't catch them all at once.

Here are some photos of Hillside Shire Horse Sanctuary taken last Sunday:-

First three taken in their small museum with first one showing some of the vehicles in there and photos of the shire horses working on the land then two different views of the bus advertising Colmans from a London route:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130253 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130254 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130310

Three of the bay coloured horses on a hillside and then two different photos of another group, there were a lot more in individual stables feeding and unfortunately their large protective building blew down in that storm in February (that is when my fence gave up the ghost).  Fortunately none of the horses were injured, but it is costing a lot to replace the building ready for this winter:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130255 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130311 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130312

Now for Inti and Lupi my 2 adopted Alpacas, with a friend and one of Rachel with a goat (no not Stephen who is a Capricorn  Rolling Eyes  Wink):-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130314 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130313 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130315 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130316

I had to laugh at those last two photos, first is Inti with one of the Llamas behind her and notice the Llama's ears are up and in the second one there is Stephen near the fence and don't know if he was talking to that Llama, because the ears are down in that one Smile.

Well that has dealt with the photos and am going to post this message and then read and answer your posts in the next one.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:23 pm
I use to pass that horse place on my way to Norfolk. lovely Norfolk skies there.where did you stay?
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Zalof111  Now I have sorted the photos I am back again to post today properly.

Jean I did describe all we did when we were in Gt Yarmouth and that was late on Tuesday evening and you can see the photos above and bet you wished you were in Norfolk again instead of coping with all of the mess you were in over the last few weeks and we did thoroughly enjoy the break.  Well at least the carpet is down at last for you and the ones that arrived this time to fit it, got on with everything and not like the cowboys that first arrived.  Well done David getting the Virgin service back on the t v, because you didn't need all the waste of time with Virgin on top of everything you have got to do.   Glad to read the computer is going fine after the Windows reboot and see you will get help tomorrow getting things back to rights when Okient and Kaz get there, as he is working today.  Hunter did enjoy his first day at school, so everything went well there.  Just see your other post between my two and my cousin used to call Norfolk the county where the sky comes down to the land  Smile.    I have been a supporter of Hillside for years, but that was the first time I was able to visit and the Horse Sanctuary was once privately owned, but owner had to give it up and Hillside took it over and having seen that side of it (and there is the Animal Sanctuary at Frettenham which is closed at the moment) we realised how well run it is and the care of the animals must run into thousands of pounds each year.  We stayed in a guest house called The Shrewsbury in Trafalgar Road, Gt. Yarmouth and were well looked after.  Here is the link to their website:-

https://www.shrewsburyguesthouse.co.uk/

Rita glad to read that you had a pleasant day yesterday with the trip to Sainsburys and yes, it isn't really easy unpacking all of the shoping and wiping it all down before putting it away and same here - washing of hands first when I got in yesterday to make a coffee and sit down for a while, then wiping things down before they get put away and after that disinfecting around, including the shopping trolley, door handles, etc., and again hand washing - takes so much time.  That was nice your niece calling again for lunch and then you both going out for a walk and her then helping you to prepare the salad that you had with ham and boiled eggs.  I found a couple of bargains yesterday and one was a pack of a smoked haddock fillet, which I had for my meal with mash and coleslaw (fat reduced one), so started the diet again after the lovely meals over last weekend.  I am definitely not going to go mad with the garden, but so much to do and will take it slowly.  It must be really confusing for the children going back to school and finding it so different, but for the new starters, like Hunter, they won't know anything different and he enjoyed it. Such hard work for the staff looking after them at the moment.  I have just seen your post Rita saying that you had posted and reckoned we clashed and posted together and that is why your one didn't appear - sorry about that. Anyway glad you enjoyed the photos.

Dian, another wild, wet day for you and here I am wondering where that heatwave has got to that we are all supposed to be enjoying during September - cold, grey and breezy here and last evening I put the heating on again.  Enjoy your weekend away and the visit from your son and hope the weather improves for the stay in the caravan.

Yesterday I did manage to get the order sorted out with Ace catalogue that I tried to put through before I went away - they weren't recognising the discount code, but at last got it sorted.  Only ordered a pack of four new black panties (getting a bit low on them) and two pairs of winter boots (which will be needed), plus another extendable oven shelf as I could do with another one so I can cook more things at once, so long as they are shallow things and can fit on three shelves in my small oven.  I was good and didn't order any clothes, because I still have plenty of them and will get some more cleared out when I have the time after the garden work is sorted (and that looks like a few weeks to get through all of it).

Off to rake the leaves from the grass and then cut the rest of it, plus the baskets and tubs must get watered today as the wind is drying them out and then over the next couple of days I want to get the new winter pansies in them.

Hope today goes well for everyone.

Last edited by Pauline on Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:02 pm
I have posted earlier and it was at same time as your second post Paulinr, so it might turn up somewhere and I will only say I have seen and enjoyed your photos, likewise jean, hope all goes well for you getting furnture etc back in place,
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:02 am
Obviously Oklent is working today so cannot help out at the moment. they probably have lots of bookings at the hotel where he is second chef.
another frustrating day living in a muddle. then David managed to pull a musale whilst tacking up cable so that has to be left.
Paul returns home today, but there will probably be another week before he can help If only I could move some stuff could get on
with throwing out. worn out at the moment
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Gml_ow10  Hi Ladies.

Up early this morning with the intention of going straight into the garden, but it had rained during the night and although the garden needed it, I could have done without waiting for it to dry out before I could start today.  I didn't get much done out there yesterday, as seemed to have so much work to do on the computer and did achieve getting the photos sorted, but did manage to create some more composting with old salad stuff from the fridge, coffee grounds and shredded paper and card and all seems to be going well in that compost bin and that was a good buy for me - think the council did me a favour by starting to charge for garden waste - their loss and my gain as being more environmentally minded is concerned and also saves money and effort buying and bringing home potting fibre.  I did water the baskets yesterday and some of the tubs, so that was a waste of my time really.  Anyway drying out well now and I must get out there and achieve more than I did yesterday.

Sorry you lost another post again Rita, but glad you enjoyed all of the photos.

Jean I had hoped you could get on this weekend with getting things back into place, but have just seen your post from today and see there isn't much chance of that happening with Okient working today, David having pulled a muscle and Paul just returning and can guess how fed up you are with living in a muddle and hope you can get a bit more energy back and carry on with turning out some items at least.

Hope Dian has good weather for the weekend away and the visit from her son from London.

Now away to the garden - sun is now out here and hope it has arrived with you all.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:11 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 L8h7zs10    Hi Ladies.  I thought I would sneak the apple gif in while Dian was away, because I expect when she gets back after this weekend there will be plenty more apples for her to pick up.

Rita, it will be nice if you get another visit today from your niece, like last weekend, but anyway I hope you are enjoying the sunshine.

Jean, I hope you managed to get some items turned out yesterday and you must be so looking forward to when Okient and Kaz can help to shift the heavier items back into place.  At least this nice weather means you can get out for a walk with Coco and escape for a while.

Yesterday the mower didn't come out, but it will today, because I was concentrating on doing all of the edges around the lawn, the path, the bird feeder and bird bath and the two roses and Red Hot Poker that are planted in the lawn, so plenty of edges to sort out and as I went along I started cutting back some of the plants, collecting more seeds and have dug up all of the gladioli corms and they are now drying off in the sunshine ready to store for next year.  The robin kept on appearing to see what I was doing and all I can say is that I think I will cut down on the food for the hedgehogs because they are getting lazy and not catching the slugs and snails, because I found enough of them hiding as I worked my way around.  Aiming to finish off the grass cutting today with the mower and hopefully tackle a few of the baskets and put in the new winter pansies.  Looks like another sunny, dry, calm day and as I had to put up with loud music and bbq smoke from the neighbours yesterday, they can put up with smoke from some of the things I am going to burn today in the bbq - ideal day for doing that without any wind.  The grass cuttings will end up in the compost bin.

That is today planned out and hope all of you can enjoy the sunny weather.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Rounde15  Hi Ladies.

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted to yesterday, but made some more space by getting rid of a lot of the old cuttings that had dried ready for burning and in the afternoon didn't feel so good (had a stomach upset) so stayed indoors and rested and kept away from food and just had a hot cup of tea.  This morning, not feeling energetic at all and taking things slowly and sitting here with two slices of seeded bread toasted - no dairy spread or butter, just marmalade on that and sipping a glass of orange juice slowly - that usually deals with any stomach upset for me, so hope today I will start feeling better, but until I do I am not going to do much physical work.  Just got one load of washing done this morning and one lot yesterday, so ironing pile is going up - don't think I even have the energy to tackle that yet.  Last evening I phoned Gennie and said that I was feeling so bad I would call off the visit until Wednesday and then told Maria, because she was going to come with me if she was feeling well enough today.

Hope all of you start the week feeling better than I do at the moment and have had a good weekend.

Last edited by Pauline on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 7fw3im17Pauline hoping your starting to feel a lot  better soon.Your photos looked so good and interesting.We can see you had such a nice break.just go easy on gardening till you feel so much better
Jean just need to stay calm till you can get all sorted but know how hard that can be.Just think how nice it will all look when finished
Rita hope your weekend went well
I really enjoyed my weekend as visited a fishing museum in fishing village and enjoyed a nice meal there then we visited another fishing village and enjoyed a nice snack in that one.Weather in Glasgow on Friday was dreadful in the morning but as we left west coast and headed towards East coast the weather turned out really nice with blue skies and sun so what a difference that made.On Sunday back to Glasgow which was dry by then.All the family got together in Hotel where we all enjoyed a nice meal and catch up.We had 2 tables of 7  and all enjoyed a nice meal and catch up I swapped seat with daughter to be with grandchildren and had a good laugh with them.Youngest 16 oldest 27 so did enjoy their chat Son and partner were staying in that hotel and were going home next morning.Son -in-law was taking them to airport early Monday morning.Pleased we just missed the new rules.Back quite painful this morning so not done anything so far but need to get a move on Cat waiting at back door when I arrived home
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:04 pm
Glad you had a lovely time Dian that fishing village sounds lovely
Well Saturday at around 10.30pm David managed to trip over the suitcase and it took me thirty minutes to get him up.
Yesterday. Paul, Lorraine, Oklent and Kaz turned up to put the heavy things back for us. place still looks like a tip
Today David says his legs are wobbly, so that left me to go and pay the papers, and whilst there remembered I had to get two
birthday cards for James and Paul, who have January birthday and you cannot get them then. took three shops to achieve this
James is 30 this year.
Somewhere I have 4 cushions which I cannot find, having washed the covers., writing about covers, the washing machine
is not getting much water out, and David says it is because I put too much in. I think it is the little opening you check for things on this machine it is at the back
So next time I get a washing machine will sort that out, always use to be at the front.
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Hello Everyone - Page 20 Empty Hi there ladies.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:19 pm
Pauline, oh dear you'r not feeling well, please look after yourself, gardening can wait. You've got to try to slow down a bit. I hope you soon feel better.
Jean, somehow you will have to leave all the work to the young ones when they have the time to do it, if weather is ok take Coco and get away from the chaos indoors.
Dian, I am pleased you had a good weekend in the fishing village and git the njce weather, and the cat waiting to welcome you home. Sorry thst your back is psinful.
This afternoon I walked round to see friend who had fallen in her kitchen snd broken her wrist, they kept her in hospital four days and did MRI scan as she was delirious too.., I am pleased I managed to walk OK with my walker, 25 mins there 30 to walk back.
I get the days mixed up, should get myself a wall calendar.
Work still going on at house building next door, council been today and finshed laying footpath, I am hoping that that is the last of the heavy vehicles to the site,, not so noisy.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Gmnl_l11  Thankfully as the morning went on yesterday I started feeling so much better. Over the last few days I have had some pastry when I had the quiche over a couple of days and also had tried one of those plant extract (what look like chicken fillets in breadcrumbs) items, so probably down to that causing indigestion and my own fault - two lots of pastry over a couple of days followed by the plant extract items over another couple of days and will steer clear of those in the future and make sure only a small amount of pastry is eaten by me.  Anyway having improved by the afternoon I went out there about 2 and got the main lawn and edges completed, having got the mower out and this morning will tackle the small lawn on the other side of the path and do a few baskets.  Looking so much better and although still loads to do, I will feel better about it all with the tidy section to look at. Sorry the photos appear to be not as sharp as usual, but took them hurriedly yesterday evening when the light was going.  The lawn will require a bit of attention, but looking so much better now it has been cut:-

Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130317 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130318 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130319 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130320 Hello Everyone - Page 20 P1130321

Dian glad the weather improved and you all had a good weekend at the caravan, with your son and his wife in a nearby hotel and your son-i-l drove them to the airport for their flight back to London. That was handy just missing the new rules and you were all able to have a meal together in the hotel where your son and his wife were staying.and looks like a good couple of visits you had to the fishing villages. One we went to years ago was just over the border from England and that was Eyemouth in the Borders area, when we staying near Berwick. See your feline friend was waiting at the door for you when you got back. Take it easy and don't rush at things if your back is still painful. I definitely don't rush these days and although I was feeling better by yesterday afternoon I certainly didn't rush at things - so much slower these days.

Jean do hope that David didn't do any damage tripping over the suitcase and you had to take a long time to get him up - hope you didn't do your back in getting that done. With help from Lorraine, Paul, Okient and Kaz the heavy items are back in place and although you say the place still looks like a tip and you can't find the cushions for the covers you washed, at least things are now gettig sorted, so that is something. See you had to get the papers yesterday as David said his legs were feeling wobbly and you also had to go to three shops in the end to get the cards you were after. I found that during lock down, when the card shops were closed, the choice elsewhere was so poor, but thankfully card shops are open again. That certainly isn't good news about the washing machine and hope you can get that sorted.

Rita, really I do take things much slower these days and don't rush at anything - as you can see from above, that upset was probably caused by me eating the wrong things because these days I do find quite a few things can cause indigestion for me now, so have to be careful about what I eat and yes I did start to feel so much better yesterday and am fine this morning - again it will be toast for me without any dairy spread, but with marmalde on, together with a glass of orange juice - all healthy and sensible. There is another thing I should take into account, weekend before last I had three fried breakfasts while I was away (which is something I only do on holidays and never at home), so too many rich things in just over a week - serve me right for being so greedy Rolling Eyes  Crying or Very sad  Hope your friend is now on the mend and well done you for having those two long walks there and back with the walker - you did well. Think we all get the days muddled now and that lockdown hasn't helped at all - I keep my desk sized diary on the table to check what I am supposed to be doing and if I am supposed to be going anywhere and also when I am on the computer will just hover over the time and date on the toolbar and up comes the day Wink and it has just let me know it is Tuesday  Very Happy.

Talking about new buildings, this morning I have been looking at the plans intended for the area of the health centre (which at present includes two doctors surgeries and my dentists), Lings forum (where there is the swimming pool, squash courts, etc., and cinema) and a whole new health place is planned which will include the library which at present is in the shopping centre and they will be using the land where the buildings and car park are at present, plus the land left over from the old Lings Upper School, which was rebuilt further down as an Acadamy. All looks good on paper, but have left my comments on the website this morning and mentioned that at the moment there isn't enough parking as it is and I hope they take this into account. Apparently there is a public meeting planned during the next couple of months, but don't know if that will take place with the new restrictions about limiting the size of groups. More disruption and building work in the area and we have had enough all through the last 18 months with the new houses built on the old middle school site which has often blocked the one and only footpath we have leading to the shopping centre and health centre and there have been so many heavy lorries passing my house on the way to that site, so more to come!!

Sun is out again and I am going to make the most of it in the garden (although slowly) and hope you all have a good day.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 am
Pauline hope you are much better and that garden looks really lovely.
Rita well done walking all that way.
Dian hope your back is better soon.
well today David was going to ring the doctors about his feet swelling since he has been off the water pills, and of course.............................
I shall nag and nag, not that it gets me anywhere.
today I have emptied six sacks of stuff and there is still loads today. having a rest now and enjoy the sunshine
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum