Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Hello Everyone - Page 38 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:00 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 69wvxm10Good Morning Everyone.  What a change from yesterday and thankfully we did have some rain during the night as I hadn't watered and this morning things are looking good, but it is such a cold wind out there and blustery with it.  If I go out there today (and I should) I will be well wrapped up.  I have even given in and put the heating back on low this morning.

Stephen and Rachel called by yesterday as he had a delivery to make in Northants and they warned me they would look in and asked if I needed any shopping, but told them I had enough in the house.  Before they arrived I wiped down a couple of the plastic garden chairs with jeyes outdoor spray and got them both a coffee and a slice of cake (having scrubbed my hands again!!) and we had a good natter, sitting 10 ft apart in the garden and after they had gone I washed up the cups and plates, disinfected down again and scrubbed my hands (again!!!).  What a way to carry on, but got to be done.

Going to give you all a laugh here - the day before last when I worked so hard on all of the planters in one of the beds, I kept hearing strange noises and couldn't make out where they were coming from.  Well after I had finished and later in the evening, I made a cup of coffee and stood outside for a while and kept hearing these peculiar noises and had a horrible feeling that in moving the planters around I might just have disturbed and trapped a hedgehog.  Well after Stephen and Rachel had gone I couldn't not see what was going on, so moved all of the planters again and between two bricks (one shielding the fence and one about 6 inches away from it (to support the planter) was a pile of dried leaves and yes there was a hedgehog snuggled down in them.  Well I think it is a female nesting and she was okay, but I think just making all of the noises of an annoyed disturbed hog.  So made that section a whole lot safer by placing a support across the 2 bricks and putting in more dried leaves and then put the planters back, making sure I left a route out of there for her.  After doing all of that it didn't leave me much more time to work a bit further down, but got some more sorted before I came in and all is quiet from that area now, except for a few contented snuffling noises, so madam is obviously satisfied with the arrangements  Rolling Eyes.  The things I do for the wildlife around here, but it is lovely to hear the birds that much clearer instead of over the constant sound of continual traffic, which is few and far between now on the local roads, but not far from me is the A43 and the A45 both leading to the M1 and despite what was said on the t v news about motorways being empty - definitely not true here because I can still hear heavy traffic at a distance and Northants is a big distribution centre of warehousing for necessary goods.

Dian, unfortunately for you it is going to be difficult for quite a while to do any proper gardening as you still have to use a stick - got to give yourself time for things to improve.  Yes I have always liked that style of slippers - anything too flat is no good for me, even indoors.  See you managed to sit outside yesterday, even though it was a bit chilly.  When I was in the garden sitting talking to Stephen and Rachel I had to move position, because the sun was too hot on my neck - not like that this morning.

Rita see you went out for a little walk yesterday and picked up that crisp packet, but be careful about picking up any litter now, because apparently that virus can lurk on paper, etc., for a few hours.  See you watched the Easter services yesterday, but as you say (and me being a pagan) it is good to see how all people of all beliefs are working together to do what they can for others. Would be good to think that after this is all over things could stay that way between all beliefs and nations, but probably too much to hope for.  Still not good news about your family as Lana is still going through it and Elaine is now coughing, so best for them all to isolate until they are better.  How is Elaine's mum at the moment?  Yes I am enjoying the garden work and the time to do it all properly and you seeing girls in sun dresses yesterday - definitely not good to wear them today with the temperatures back down again, but nice to have had the chance over the Easter break to get some sun for a lot of people.  Well cat has definitely not appeared the last couple of days, so he might just have given himself a fright realising he could so easily get trapped in with me  Smile .  Hope you got the rain last night like I got here, as your garden needed moisture again and hopefully your oven will start working again for you.  I have just noticed that you had posted this morning - when I went to post this, the site warned me about your new message, so back to continue the section to you.  Up in the night again for you, but cocoa and toast and then back to sleep and see you have been hair trimming again.  Think the hairdressers will be so relieved when they are finally allowed to work again and sure there will be plenty for them to do.  Oh do be careful how you move around and see that you managed to grab onto the door frame to stop you falling. Yes please wear that lifeline alarm button on a cord around your neck and you are probably right, you obviously caught it while it was being worn on your arm. When you hear them talking to you, just explain to them that you are deaf and cannot hear clearly what they are saying and explain that you are okay (that is if you are), or do the same if you do need help and first say you are deaf and cannot hear them clearly - I take it they do have the two key holders listed with them.  Still no change with Peter and family and enjoy the coffee (as you mustn't drink so much tea now).  

Jean I see you wore yourself out clearing out the porch and the jelly babies didn't help afterwards to up the energy again.  That was strange you not getting the rain in your part of Northants, because I certainly got some here for which I was thankful.  Yes I think that cat was determined to adopt me, but hopefully has now changed its mind.  Well now I see that Barry is a Great Grandad and hopefully he will stay well once he is home again and his daughter makes sure he has everything he needs.  Did you get that delivery from Asda finally?

I am going to be lazy for a while and go upstairs to get on the gardening clothes, but first will catch up on Belgravia, that I recorded last night, but was too tired to watch after catching up on a couple of other things.  If any of you have been watching The Nest (which was on last night) the final one is on this eveniing.  Wishing you all a peaceful day ladies.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:03 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Fvlifi10Pauline your pansies will have perked up with their new home and you must be so pleased you have got so much up to date in garden.Hope your having a good day
Jean know the feeling with no energy grrr so annoying. Hope you and David also Coco have a good day
Rita sorry Peter and family still not too good but maybe getting over the worst.Lucky you did not fall but really wise to have your safety button whether on arm or neck
.Son in Law just off the phone so he is getting me some shopping which is a big help.Another dry day but still quite chilly.....done nothing this morning but got myself washed and dressed.then sat and watched Pretty Woman which I enjoyed.Have a nice day ladies and take care
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am
Pauline never did hear from Asda and no use trying to phone. I even got a volunteer card for son but that did not come either. they have not taken the money
my gt.grandson made some lovely easter eggs with real eggs with masks on. very clever no doubt he had a bit of help. have been trying to get it onhere
and do a print, it is in a zip thing, have unzipped it, but still working on it.
I am watching The Robe this afternoon Dian, my Mum took me to see it and I thought Richard Burton as great. I was about 14.
It is a bit chilly here too. hope it gets better.
Rita please do not pick up rubbish because now it is not safe to do so. hope the family are getting better
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am
Hello Everyone - Page 38 8yqdhw12Hi Ladies.

Got a few more things done in the garden yesterday and hope to do the same today.  Seeing as it was a frost threatened for last night and early this morning, I got out the fleece again and draped it over the fuchsias and geraniums, but there was definitely no frost this morning, so have removed the fleece again.  Last evening caught up with a lot of recorded tv and still have The Nest to watch from last evening and a few other things.  I see that Emmerdale and Corrie are due to run out of filmed episodes by early summer and there is no more filming from the BBC of EastEnders, Holby, Casualty, etc., so we are definitely going to be short of regular programmes to watch.  I ended up watching some old black and white films for a while yesterday and enjoying them.

Friend Mary phoned yesterday and we last saw her on 9th March when we had a meal here for mine and Rachel's birthday.  Bob didn't come with her because he was spending the day with one of his brothers, Tony, who was undergoing bypass surgery in the John Radcliffe in Oxford the next day.  Well that op didn't go too well and he was in a coma, then they got a phone call to say they didn't expect him to last the night, but he did and until the visiting was stopped, they were back and forth seeing him.  Awful to have come out of a coma eventually and then find out about the virus and visiting stopped.  They have had some contact by phone when they can, but he is still very ill and receiving oxygen, so don't think there is much hope there.  Also another of Bob's brothers, Steve, is undergoing chemo for cancer, so a worrying time for them both.  Mary is keeping up home education for some of her home  pupils by video link and three times a week going over to Corby to look after her grandchildren while their daughter does 3 part time sessions in the bank where she works and some weeks it is afternoon and other weeks in the morning.  Their son Simon is in his flat as he is on furllough from Easy Jet (he is cabin crew) and keeps contact with them all by phone.  So Mary is pretty busy at the moment back and forth and doing shopping for them all.

Going to phone Stephen and Rachel after this and catch up with Maria and Gennie and get any news from them and let them know about Mary.  Gennie knows them well and also one of the houses where she was a night manager with Mencap was next door to Bob's Mum and it was Tony, the son at home, who did most of the caring of his Mum.

Dian, yes those pansies are looking very healthy now and must get them in the baskets soon. See your son-in-law phoned and was getting you some more shopping and you were still lacking energy yesterday and sat and watched Pretty Woman - good film that and I always enjoy it when it comes on.

Jean see you thought the same as me with regard to Rita picking up litter - leave well alone these days.  I see I have some fly tipping dumped outside this morning - child's bike (broken), satellite dish and some other metal object, so got to report that.  At least the recycling bins were collected this morning and I noticed that no garden bins were out for collection, so doesn't look as though anyone is paying for that service in my area. At least Asda never took the money for the delivery, so that was something.  Rachel mentioned the other day that you could get a code from Iceland for deliveries for vulnerable people, but I can't find it anywhere and apparently the slots are snapped up fast, so despite all the advice to stay at home, if we don't want to starve then it means shopping in person in the slots alloted for our ages.  I don't need anything at the moment, but see that Aldi are opening up half hour early on a Monday and Saturday for our ages and that means being there ready to get in the store by 7.30 in the morning.  Hope you can get the photo of those Easter Eggs on here that your Great Grandson made.  Enjoy The Robe - when I was young I read both of those books by Lloyd C Dougals, The Robe and The Big Fisherman and like you, enjoy seeing The Robe - I recorded that just before last Christmas and watched it the other week.  Maria always says that Richard Burton was one of her favourite actors.  

Rita hope you hear some better news soon about the family and their health.

Well I had better get a move on if I am intending to spend an entire day in the garden, but will sit out there first with a coffee and catch up on the phone calls.  Have a good day all of you.    
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:05 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Happy-12 Well hope it is happy for some Very Happy
Pauline good to have lots of recordings to catch up on when it suits us. See more work in garden being done but it does make a big difference.I enjoyed the Nest.Now we are all starting to feel this Lockdown but just have to get on with it but think people with gardens are lucky at least can get some fresh air and potter about I sat and read a book yesterday for a little while
Jean hope you are all fine and coping.good you have coco to take out and good company
Rita wishing you a good day and do hope your family make a quick recovery soon
Well not a good morning for me but guess maybe when I get a small washing out will help At least good to have friends and family to chat to on the phone.So sad when you hear of so many people dying especially in nursing homes.Have a good day all
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm
Good news!  Granddaughter is better and will see about going back to work. Probably have to have a test first.
Peter says he is ok now and Elaine  feeling better but  think that what Elaine  had/Has in an ordinary fluey cold.
I have not been informed but Elaine said she has seen on the Locsl parish news that the road outside my house is going to be closed for 2 days and nights while they install water pipes.  - that will be for the two bungalows which are being built next to me.  More disruption, lorries etc I will be very glad when they get those houses finished, it is taking a long time as only the one man doing it all, with a bit of help from his young son.
Pauline, what a surprise to find a Mrs Hedgehog sheltering there, i think it is absolutely marvellous that you can HEAR the hoggy grunts.
Having Stephen snd Rachel to see and chat in your garden  would be a treat.  I think it is awful those folk dumping stuff  by your fence, there are still so many rotten uncaring folk about whilst others risk their and families lives helping people.
Dian,  I reckon we have another two months of solitude ahead of us yet. I Wish I could knit or crochet
, can you? But then one would have wool and patterns to hand, thats no good,   I saw an Argos van go by here, so they must be taking orders on line,   I wonder what people were having delivered.   Made me think that perhaps I could order a few bedding plants to replace the polyanthus, pansies etc, but then thought That I might tip over if I tried to do anything, - best to wait and see if my son  will be able to do it then, whenever allowed .
Jean, i hope you and David are getting used to being housebound, although it seems you will still have to venture out to do food shopping.
I dont know where the time goes, i used to do so much but it takes me ages on here, one fingered snd then when I used to whiz thro housework  its  all tiring now.
I saw my neighbour across the fence this morning, we swapped some books.
I might go sit outside for a few minutes now. Byee
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 am
well the sun is shining and it is a bit chilly still.
last night found out that Barry had been returned to hospital again as the infection returned then last night his daughter phoned me and said he was home as they did not want him
to stay in all night, will be going back tomorrow morning and then home and a nurse should go and give him antibiotic injections and he is on a drip and poor man on his own.
do not know about Jills care home
Rita good news about your family. I have not been out food shopping itching to go.
it takes me ages to do things as well, and once down on the floor cleaning it have a job to get up.
Davids arm is playing him up and he can hardly move it.
I am still trying to sort out the photo!!!
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Axdyxy10Hi Ladies.

Another sunny day, but was a little bit of a chilly breeze about first thing, but good to work in again today out there.

First of all I got your email Jean and have managed to resize that photo of the eggs - very appropriate too  Very Happy and here it is:-

Hello Everyone - Page 38 Eggsrz10

Jean, had to laugh at that one.  I bet you are itching to get out shopping, but if the coming trip for you is anything like I went through last Friday, then you will be happy to get home again.  I can understand the hospital not wanting to keep Barry in, but for goodness sake, if he is on a drip then surely he should be in there.  Hope things improve for him soon.  Also hope that David's arm gets a bit more mobile.

Dian, yes The Nest ended up well as far as I am concerned and that actress who played Kaya's mother, what a wicked witch she was (well played).  I think that this needs and deserves a second series to see how things get on.  Yes, those of us with gardens are lucky during this lock down, but must be frustrating for you not being able to do all you want to out there, but hope the good weather continues and you can enjoy sitting out there.  That is the worst thing at the moment and so sad, seeing and hearing about all of the deaths of loved ones that cannot be with their close family at the time.

Rita thankfully at last, good news about the family.  More upheaval with regard to the buildings next to you - road closure for installing the water (and I expect sewage) pipes and does that mean the buses won't be able to use that route too?  You will be pleased when it is all over. Always the rotten ones amongst us that don't care where they dump their rubbish, when all of us try and abide by the rules and are thoughtful of other people.  From my upstairs windows I can see piles of black sacks next door up against my fence.  There seem to be a few eastern european men in there coming and going and they never put out the rubbish bins and think as the hotter weather takes hold I am going to have to report that to our estates warden, otherwise I am going to get inundated with flies and also that could attract mice and rats and don't want that.  Yes, best to wait until Peter can see to the garden for you and then order bedding plants on line.  Must say I am tempted to do that at the moment, because the things I am going to be short of this year are the begonias and fuchsias for the baskets and edges.  

Yesterday I got all of the planters out of the front garden - those where I had replanted all of the lily bulbs and had covered them with mulched grass and all of them have come up well, so they are now being placed in the back garden to give splashes of colour.   Nearly worked my way down the right side of the garden and got to the rockery bit, so next job (while I have some space to put the step ladder) is to cut back the Eucalyptus again, before it gets too high once more - got to keep that under control this year as it was Stephen who had to get the last two branches down for me last Autumn.  Also managed to do some cooking when I came in from the garden and cooked that minced angus steak I bought reduced in Lidls on Friday, in gravy with sliced up onions.  Left it to cool last evening and overnight, but think it might just need a bit more cooking time and looking forward to some of that with mashed potatoes and veg this evening.

Must get a move on now if I am to achieve all I want to do in the garden and hope all of you can enjoy the good weather today.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:32 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 U5kuhm12Pauline you will be looking forward to your meal tonight. .Makes you so angry and so annoying folk dumping black bags at your fence.Well your garden certainly going to look so smart and colourful. Does cheer you up when you look and see it so nice.Yes I did enjoy the Nest and as you say would be good to have follow up
Jean laughed at your eggs. Sorry Davids arm giving him pain.Yes know the feeling being locked up. Sorry to hear how bad Barry is keeping Do hope he recovers soon
Rita really good news about your family so .that would cheer you up .That is a nuisance your road going to be closed and the building works next to you but hopefully for not too long till the work is completed Then will look good
Dry but chilly today .Sun does pop out but not for long so hoping to sit out for a short time.I have had a few phone calls from family and friends so enjoyed the chat.Stopped watching the news as so depressing.Have a good day ladies
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:16 am
it was freezing this morning had the heating on. sun coming out now.
Barry is home, and now a nurse is coming three times a day to do the pill and the drip. at least he will see someone.
#David says his arm is better today but sometimes he does not speak the truth......
there will be lots of noise with the builders Rita, at least you can turn off your hearing aid. will all soon be finished hopefully.
I see that you have new neighbours Pauline, and they are not very good at getting rid of the rubbish. Our lot of Poles never
do the garden and it looks like a tip. also their fence has blown down but nothing is being done about it. they shout a lot
when their window is open, otherwise are quiet. you will have to report it as as you say you do not want those files.
thank you for putting that photo on
Dian hope you can sit out soon
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:42 am
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Thursd10Good Morning Ladies.  I have received an email to say that my Debenhams order of those trousers is now with Hermes in their depot and should be delivered  today, so do know the online ordering with Debenhams is still okay.  Last evening I certainly did enjoy that meal of the minced steak and onions with mash and mixd veg - very tasty and have got another 3 meals to enjoy from that purchase.  Got a lot of the seeds sown yesterday and a few more to do today, better late than never and hope a lot of them come along quickly, because there are certainly no plants to buy at the moment.

Caught up with Gennie yesterday and she is keeping well and also said to Maria, that hay fever or not, she should be trying to get out for a bit of walking and she said that she has done a couple of little walks around the green area in front of her house, but she should be doing more than that.  Anyway she now has heard that the scan is booked for her on 23rd of this month and then bloods to be taken on 4th May (and the doctor should get these straight away) and she sees the doctor after that in the hope that he gives the go ahead for the chemo on 5th May.

Dian, with regard to the dumping of the rubbish, I didn't have to report this because someone walked off with (what looked like) the parasol base and then someone else went off with the child's bike and that just left the small satellite dish and I reckon that might be collected by the "any old iron" man that comes around in his van.  The black bags belong to the house next door to me and the men in there never put out the rubbish for recycling and you can bet none of the bags contain properly recycled rubbish and I just wonder how high they intend the pile to get  Mad . As you can see from above, I certainly did enjoy that meal last night and looking forward to another one of the same today - that was a bargain reduced buy from Lidls.  See you had quite a few phone calls yesterday and was hoping to sit out in the garden, although it was a bit chilly earlier and hope it warmed up for you so you could do that.  Yes I am trying to avoid a lot of the news programmes now as the news certainly doesn't do much to cheer us up, but those bits about Captain Tom Mooore raising all of that money, that is amazing and well worth watching.

Hi Jean, they aren't new neigbours and it is hard to tell who lives there, but it is mainly men I see coming and going and the language is one of the eastern European ones when they talk (mainly on the phone in the garden for a while), but otherwise never see them and windows always closed and curtains never open (think they are night workers) and at times I do wonder how many of them are in the house  See the Poles next door to you aren't much better either.  It was cold first thing this morning, but warming up now and I have resisted the urge to put the heating back on again indoors and it does seem colder in here than in the garden - will get out there shortly to warm up in the sun.  At least Barry is getting a visit from the nurse 3 times a day, so that is something and let's hope that David is being truthful about his arm and that it is a bit better for him.   Glad you managed to unzip the photo and was happy to get it on here.

Hi to you Rita and hope you had a good day yesterday and that was much better news for you about your family.

Off to make a cup of coffee and then do a bit of work in the front garden, to keep an eye out for the Hermes delivery of those trousers from Debenhams.  Also the slippers might arrive today with the post - still waiting for the glasses and come tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since they were originally supposed to be at the shop for me to collect and I know I received a message to say production was a bit held up, but think I am going to have to chase for them - after all, they were paid for when I had the original appointment, so they have had my money long enough.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:26 am
Hello Everyone - Page 38 54ywe111 Good news Pauline about your trousers so do hope not long till you get slippers and your glasses.Good some of the items dumped have gone.Better news for Maria too and good Gennie also fine.Yes that is remarkable what Captain Tom Moor has collected....... definitely deserves a Knighthood.Cheers us up in all this miserable sad news on TV and newspapers.
Jean hoping your having a good day and hope David,s arm not so painful
Rita I,m sure the good news about your family is a great relief. Trusting your having a good day
Well I did pop out in back garden and sat for 5 mins but noticed tubs really dry so knew would need to water them somehow opened the shed and managed to get the hose down back garden to my tap and got tubs all watered. Sat for 10 mins and looked at back grass and decided would try cutting it took me quite a while to work out which was the best way but did manage to get it cut  aft er a lot of stop starts.lol Not a pretty sight  but i was so pleased got that done but will not tell family as they will be angry hehe .S_I_L just off the phone so he is bringing me some groceries so that is a big help.Dull and chilly today  so here,s hoping will warm up some so I can sit out for a little while.Have a good day all
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:27 pm
I am sorry I thought I had posted earlier, time has no meaning now, I sleep a lot, dont do much else.  I had a delivery of food today, they charge £2.50 delivery. But they keep telling us old folkd (91 now) to stay in fir another two monthsI so no shopping for a while.    I  get lots  of fresh! Veg, trying to eat sensibly,  but I make it and eat it,  must keep going, not be a bother.  
I don't  think i have watched The Nest, but did watch Wolf Hall about Henry V111 and Anne Boleyn, what a nasty scheming lot they were.
Jean, its sad about Barry but better him being home with carersNurses looking after him.  I hope you snd David coping with the lockdown,
Dian, my goodness, you did well watering and then mowing you lawn, but Im sure you feel pleased  you managed it..
Pauline, your beef was a bargain, and more to look forward to eh!   Gardening is certainly keeping you well occupied now that your social life is at a standstill. Msybe Maria thinks we are only allowed to keep close to home for walks, as I thoight too.l
Nice that you are keeping in touch with her and , their  hospital treatments will be so uncertain now with such risk of infection.
I hope. You all keep busy one way or another,  I had intended baking scones e tc but oven has stopped working.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 am
I took the car round the block yesterday otherwise it will not start when I can use it. the thought police have not been round yet.
Barry phoned the home yesterday and was told that Jill was ok, but they had a lot of sickness to deal with. do not know quite what to make of that
today I have the heating on. the promised rain did not come, and hopefully will do so today. it is a bit dull and very windy
David is sitting in the conservatory reading the paper and leaving the door open so the heat goes in there instead of the lounge. lost track
of the times I have told him to shut.
the door. I have had to take my jumper off so it must be getting warmer so have turned off the heating.
Rita I think you are doing ok. just wish I could get an online shop no slots.
Dian glad you tackled that bush made you feel better....
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:53 am
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Nv10fi10I have given in this morning and turned the heating back on for a while.  Very chilly wind out there and cold indoors too and my fingers feel frozen, so definitely need some warmth.  Apparently rain is forecast  so might not be able to achieve much in the garden today.

Yesterday I continued on with sorting out the front garden and shifted one slab that had been put on top of another one as it wasn't needed at the time and that will do nicely for the patio extension in the back and then finally sorted out that new bed I was creating in the front and put some spare plants in there.  Also sorted out around the water meter, because the ridged plastic I have around it, was being squeezed in with the weight of earth behind it. Stayed in the front so that I didn't miss any deliveries and at last my glasses turned up and then the slippers arrived.  According to the Hermes site, the Debenhams trousers were in their depot, but didn't get delivered, so waiting to see that they are out with the courier (hopefully today).  I really wanted that delivery yesterday, because today I wanted to walk along to where Aimie and Sean live and put Kylian's 1st birthday card through the door - don't want to post it because have put money in the card for Aimie to spend on him.  Was talking to her yesterday on the phone and she said that although Sean is still working in the warehouse (because the company he works for deliver to M & S) there is no overtime, so money is a bit short and the owner of the house they rent from has been good.  She said so long as they have enough to cover their mortgage on the house she was happy to lower their rent at the moment which was good of her.  Also Aimie said that she had been shopping at Aldis and hardly any shortages there and that is what I was considering doing next time I need to shop.  Just means catching the 1 bus and staying on it for two more stops past the shopping centre.  She also said they had some nice plants in this week.

I did enjoy the second lot of that minced steak last evening with mash and mixed veg and do have another two lots to eat and could quite happily enjoy another meal of that this evening.

Dian well that was a bit naughty of you doing all of that watering in the garden and cutting the grass and yes, you had better not mention that to the family, although I expect the shorter grass will be noticed  Wink.  Bet you did enjoy a sit down after that lot and don't go overdoing things too soon.  See your son-in-law was bring some groceries to you and do hope it warms up today so you can sit in the garden for a while and appreciate the work you did yeserday.

Rita that is a reasonable charge for the goods delivery and see you are ordering a lot of fresh stuff to eat and at least that keeps you busy keeping up with cooking from scratch.   Really with this lock down it doesn't matter when we sleep, because we have no need to keep organised or rush off anywhere, so enjoy your rests.  That Wof Hall you watched - was that the series with Mark Rylance as Cromwell and Damian Lewis as Henry VIII?  I watched that and really did enjoy it with those two great actors in.  With regard to what you said about Maria walking - yes I do think it is meant for all of us to not walk too far from home, but what I meant about Maria, seeing as she isn't doing much gardening, then she should be doing walking more often than she has done.  That is such a nuisance your oven still not working, so the idea of making some scones wasn't to be.

Jean, see you put your heating on this morning and like you I did the same and am warming up now - got some life back in my fingers and not hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard now.  See you took the car out yesterday just around the block, to keep it moveable ready for when you go shopping again.  You talking about online ordering, I see that Aldis are now going to do this, but it is a set parcel, including a few things that I am sure people won't really want, so not much help there.  At least you managed to talk to Barry yesterday and see that the home said that Jill was okay, but as you say, not sure what they meant by having a lot of sickness to deal with.  I did ask Maria about Vi and Claude and apparently Vi is back in the home and is well (that is news from Phyllis who they both used to work with) and Claude does phone and does nothing else but moan about the manager of the care home  and does from time to time, remember to ask how Maria is  Rolling Eyes.  I did say to Maria that she should say to Claude that she doesn't need to hear moans and groans, just some pleasant news for a change.  Mind you that woman will never alter and I think that being bitter and angry keeps her going.

Well ladies I must away and make a decision on what to do first before that rain arrives and hope all of you have a reasonable day.  
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am
Just popped back with a laugh for you all, here is the latest rendering from Pam Ayres:-

I'm normally a social girl
I love to meet my mates
But lately with the virus here
We can't go out the gates.
You see, we are the 'oldies' now
We need to stay inside
If they haven't seen us for a while
They'll think we've upped and died.
They'll never know the things we did
Before we got this old
There wasn't any Facebook
So not everything was told.
We may seem sweet old ladies
Who would never be uncouth
But we grew up in the 60s -
If you only knew the truth!
There was sex and drugs and rock 'n roll
The pill and miniskirts
We smoked, we drank, we partied
And were quite outrageous flirts.
Then we settled down, got married
And turned into someone's mum,
Somebody's wife, then nana,
Who on earth did we become?
We didn't mind the change of pace
Because our lives were full
But to bury us before we're dead
Is like a red rag to a bull!
So here you find me stuck inside
For 4 weeks, maybe more
I finally found myself again
Then I had to close the door!
It didnt really bother me
I'd while away the hour
I'd bake for all the family
But I've got no flaming flour!
Now Netflix is just wonderful
I like a gutsy thriller
I'm swooning over Idris
Or some random sexy killer.
At least I've got a stash of booze
For when I'm being idle
There's wine and whiskey, even gin
If I'm feeling suicidal!
So let's all drink to lockdown
To recovery and health
And hope this awful virus
Doesn't decimate our wealth.
We'll all get through the crisis
And be back to join our mates
Just hoping I'm not far too wide

To fit through the flaming gates!
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm
Thank you for that Pauline. I got up very early had visions of doing everything, had  a bite to eat, tried laptop, it needs servicing ir my mind does, but got no sense out of it, then was so tired went back to bed and have just now surfaced..  So, I will try again, must make myelf DO something, but what, usual, floor, dust , ah! i can read the linstructions fir my fancy microwave, (I have on,y ever used the micro bit) and find out how to use it as ordinary oven then I can make those scones and grow even fatter.   Byeeee.........
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:21 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Eyffgs13 Good more work in the garden Pauline.You will be pleased the glasses and slippers arrived.Hope your trousers will arrive soon.That will be a big help for Aimie with her rent being lowered Yes tough times for a lot of people Cant believe Kylian,s a year how time flies.Yes very chilly today so I did not venture out Makes such a difference when you really enjoy a meal .Really enjoyed Pam Ayres poem
Jean good idea giving the car a short run. Pleased to hear Barry and Jill are fine.
Rita snap as I was going to do wonders today and so far not much.We just need to plod on and hope it will not be too long until it gets better
Well really having a lazy day and chilly outside.now going to see what i will have for dinner not feeling hungry but will need something Cat pawing me for his dinner boy never knew cats could eat so much Rolling Eyes
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 am
it is raining today and we do need it badly.
loved that poem Pauline.
It is quite cold sitting here with the heating on. shall have to get that coffee.
Coco has not gone out today. as yet. will soon...................she does not like the rain. sitting in her basket under the radiator.
Dian my sons cat is huge, maybe that one needs worming. .
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Fhfxpp20Pauline hope you got your trousers and just know you will have a busy day
Jean hope the rain stops for you to get out with Coco still as you say really did need the rain.Duke is a small cat he was a rescue cat from a building site him and his sister but she got run over a few years ago and the vet took blood from Duke to try and save her but sadly she died
Rita hope your having a good weekend and feeling fine
Well took all morning to finally get going but have showered and washing on as it is a nice day even though chilly so will go and have a snack now.Enjoy your weekend all
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:22 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Kiyfcc10Hi Everyone.

Well I didn't sleep so well during the first part of the night and got up at 5 and made a drink and about 6 went back again and slept until 10 this morning and seeing as it was raining I wasn't rushing outside.  Yesterday the trousers were delivered and they fit well, so kept one pair on to go out in and just after 2 went and caught a bus (not too long to wait) to go along and put Kylian's birthday card through the door and then walked past the first bus stop from there on the way back (no shelter and the wind was cold) and arrived at the next stop where there is a shelter.  Had about 10 minutes to wait and the bus came along and I went along to Aldi's and had a little while to wait outside there.  Picked up a bit of top up shopping and when I came out I checked on the plants they had at the side of the building - not too many bedding plants, but plenty of climbers that I didn't want, so over to the bus stop and 1 minute wait to get the bus back to the centre and went straight to the lock up and fitted a few more things into the shopping trolley to bring home.  Came away from there and the bus came along in about 5 minutes and straight home.  Got in and put the small amount of shopping away and then caught up with Maria on the phone - still a bit of hayfever hanging around with her, but she said that she has now finished quite a bit in the garden and has a garden bin full up, but hasn't bothered to pay for collection and will wait for a while.  I had a lazy evening and caught up on some recorded tv as it started to rain when I got in, which I was pleased about - not getting wet myself and not having to water the garden.

This morning it started to dry out, but still too damp to do much out there, so a day indoors for me catching up with things on the computer and sorting out the finances and the heating is back on again and after this I have to read the meters and put through the readings to Eon, so an expensive week coming up with that bill to pay.  Weather forecast for tomorrow doesn't look that bad, so hopefully more things to do in the garden.

Rita I see you were up early yesterday, but went back to bed again after fighting with the laptop.  Glad you liked the poem and hope you have sorted out the instructions for the microwave and just might be able to cook some scones in there - yes think we might all be worried with lack of exercise and some boredom, that we are over eating and putting the weight on.

Dian as you can see the trousers did arrive, so that is all of the deliveries I was expecting, except for the auction of the hat and bag for the wedding.  They have kept in touch with me and the lady's husband emailed me to say she was in hospital with the coronavirus and did I want a refund, but said it was okay to wait for a while (won't need those until the wedding in September, which just might hopefully take place).  Glasses do seem a bit on the tight side behind the ears, so wearing them on and off in between using the existing ones and might just have to get them slightly adjusted when Boots opticians open up again.  Yes that year has flown since Kylian was born and Aimie has now received the confirmation of what school Hunter will be starting in September - little bit further away than her first choice, but a very good school.  Seeing as I had eaten sensibly and healthily during last week, I cheated last evening and had two bacon sandwiches which I enjoyed while watching Vera, but back to another tasy meal this evening.  I thought you would all have a laugh with that Pam Ayres' poem.  See your feline friend was after you for his dinner before you had decided on what you were going to eat yesterday.  That was interesting in your today's post, the information about Duke and his sister and shame his sister got run over.  See it started as a nice day your way and the forecast did say that Scotland would get the best of the weather today, so hope you enjoyed a little time sitting in the garden.

Jean, I though that poem was hilarious and just right for our ages.  I saw Pam Ayres at the Corby theatre and that was one of my presents for my 70th (now 80th looming in a couple of years). Same here Jean, heating back on again and last week I was so determined to keep it off, but not going to sit here cold and miserable.  Seeing as it has been drying out now since this morning, hope you got out with Coco for her walk.

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon and the evening ladies.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:17 am
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Floati10Hi Everyone.  Sun is out and I am off to the garden early.  Read the meters yesterday after I posted and put the readings through and the bill is ready, so that can wait until tomorrow when the pension arrives in the bank Rolling Eyes .  Nothing different to add from yesterday and yes, I had to think hard to remember what day it was today as one day seems so much like another at the moment. Just hope you all have a happy day with good weather.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Cqvrhw28  Pauline good you have another nice day for working in the garden so I am sure you got lots more done
Jean and Rita hope you have both had a good day
Changed my bedding and got it washed and out as a lovely day also finally got bed made up.I did sit outside for a few hours then son popped in and got my bench out of shed for me .I was going to do wonders but afraid felt so tired so just sat down. Now off to tidy kitchen then watch my shows.Got 2 taped
hope all have had a good weekend
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:11 am
yesterday did not get on here because I could not use my left arm from the elbow to the wrist, quite painful....apparently this is what David had in his right arm
so where did that come from.......better today.
the sun is shining and the wind is terrible, maybe no dog walk today.
Dian see you have the bench out now hope the sun shines up there and you can get lots of vitamin D
Rita I would probably sleep later, but have to get up for the dog,do not worry you are still doing things. me I do not bake now.
Pauline see that you saw family and had a chat. good that Maria and Gennie are OK
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:51 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 38 Ric8aj11Hi Ladies.

Yesterday got a lot more seeds sown and then shifted the garden furniture out of my way and that left a good space to put the shelving with the seeds on to where it gets a lot of sun and found the cover for that shelving near the top of the garden store and it didn't need any repairing, so got that over them.  Today want to finish the remainder of the seeds and put those on another lot of shelving and find the cover for that lot.  By shifting that garden furniture it has also given me more room to work on that patio extension, so hope to get that finished this week.  Excitement this morning - there is life out there, 2 police cars at high speed with sirens going and lights flashing went along the main road opposite me to the direction of the A43 Kettering Road, so seen a little bit of life.  Last evening saw the last of Belgravia and The Good Karma Hospital and I see next Sunday there is a completely new series starting on ITV of Van der Valk.  I can remember that from years ago with Barry Foster.  This new one has Marc Warren playing the part and the theme music is different (not Eye Level this time), so looking forward to that.

Dian although you said you were going to do wonders, I reckon you did with getting the bed changed and the washing done and see you enjoyed a sit out in good weather for a while and then your son got the bench out of the shed for you.  I see you were intending to tidy the kitchen and then catch up on the t v shows you had recorded and hope you enjoyed them.

Jean well here it was a slight chilly breeze first thing, but must admit there were some strong gusts a bit later, but all seems to have settled down now so hope you can get Coco out for her walk and enjoy the exercise.  See you had trouble yesterday with your left arm, so you made a pair with David, as his is the right.  Anyway I see it is better this morning.  I wake up every morning (despite perhaps having taken pain killers the night before), with both arms playing up and it takes a time to get them mobile.  It doesn't matter how I plan to sleep you just don't have any control over which way you turn at night and probably at one time or another, trap one of the arms for a while and constrict the blood flow.  I just have to accept the aches and pains now and yesterday I did have to take a couple of paracetamol during gardening - got a pain above the right side of the waist and that was probably due to sieving a lot of the potting fibre and being a bit too energetic.  Anyway tablets worked and I managed to get on with things.  It was on Easter Sunday that Stephen and Rachel popped down, but not seen family since, as I just walked along to put Kylian's card through the door and wouldn't have gone in to see them, but spoke on the phone with Aimie.  Also another call from Stephen and Rachel last evening and Rachel's firm have been fighting to get money - as they do training schemes for people and get them jobs and work with the job centre and three times they were told no, but they got an ombudsman involved and it now looks as though they will get the money.  After all, they are still working from home and doing the training on line for their clients and helping them with job interviews and CVs. Sounded okay all of these plans to help companies, but not easy getting the money for a lot of the smaller ones.

Rita and you talking about baking, I did up the flour supply and did intend to try out my Mum's cake recipe again, but garden work comes first.

Rita, hope you worked out how to cook the scones in your micro wave and had a good weekend.

Enjoy the day all of you and now coffee first and then out to the sunshine.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum