Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Hello Everyone - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Ely1y211Back again as I forgot to mention that Tescos have 50% off of all homeware and F & F clothing and I bought two bras - originally £8 each, so got the two for the price of one.  That offer is on until 19th May.

Dian yes I am looking forward to seeing Rachel tomorrow and she is also bringing over a bag full of photos and papers that was cleared by Stephen's dad from his mum's flat when she died and he never sorted through them and Stephen was left with them when his dad died, so he is hoping that I might know what a lot of them are - another job to do  Rolling Eyes, plus sorting through those two bags of fiddly little toys that I brought home from the lock up, so no chance of me getting bored.  It is being talked about so much, the wearing of masks, so I thought I wouldn't waste anymore time when I saw friend's posting on Facebook and she said she ordered the two she wanted on one day and they arrived the next.  It is a shame they never did find Ted as I think he was always Stephen's favourite, but as you say, Ossie is a lovely cat and I know why he got that name - named after Oswaldo Ardilles who played for Spurs from when Stephen was aged 10 until he was 20  Wink  Rolling Eyes.  Fancy you having to go indoors after reclining in the garden for a while, as it was too hot, but I agree with you, far too hot for me to go tree climbing again, so have stayed indoors and worked out all of the money I spent today and run off the latest bank statements - still solvent and no more shopping to do for quite a while - daren't look at Tescos website at all of their reductions on the homewares and clothing.  Will try and get on and finish that tree early tomorrow before Rachel gets here, but must definitely water this evening.  Have a good evening all of you.  
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed May 06, 2020 6:16 pm
Just had long chat, typing on line with daughter in Canada, she says talk of opening golf courses, garden centres. Her husband having various tests at hospitals there.  The my Hospital phoned me, but I had difficulty hearing, I think it's an  appointment up date from when I was there Six months ago. I phoned back but got put  through to appointments which then said leave a message, which I did, but I am no wiser as to why they  phoned me about further appointment, last tests they said were OK. So I await word or letter from them or perhaps I will try my special typetalk phone tomorrow.
Builders next door are banging on, I Went for a twenty minute walk around the houses, nice to be out in sunshine  others out too.  Magnolias, lilac etc bloomimg in gardens,
am longing to do a bit if weeding in mine, But if I lose my balance that will not help anything. P
Dian, thanks for sending me funny and interesting  posts, I do forward some on to Muriel who doesn't get much mail.
Jean, is your shed//summerhouse finished, have you sat outside today. Too noisy here with builders next door.
Pauline, I guess you bought more plants when you were out, I am hoping my son will be able to tidy my garden, it's hit a long way to go to be as lovely as yours.. Did you see any more of yr hedgehogs?
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am
today started off well, with the electricity going off, with the trip thing. tried everything, David could not reach it with arm so called son who came over to see if
he could reach it. after turning somethings off we got it back on again. I think it was the microwave which we are replacing, but cannot get out to do that.
so if I disappear you will all know why. am trying to get the unit moved but the electrician who was coming to do that never arrived. so trying again
after Monday
we tried to keep apart as far as possible.
hope you get that phone call sorted out Rita., could they not email you
glad you enjoyed the sun Dian
Pauline shall look for the card thanks
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Galas_15 Pauline I am missing in getting out shopping .Yes could be easily tempted with Tesco, sales.Good deal with the bras.Sad when one does not know what happened to their cat.Sorting through photos will keep you busy and bring back memories
Jean so annoying when things like that happens with the electricity  but good son got it working again. Hope you get your unit moved
Rita good you managed out for a walk Makes a difference .Great you get to talk to your daughter in Canada but do hope her husband improves soon. Lucky them in getting out again
Well a dry but chilly day here so unless sun appears will not be sitting out.Washed and set my hair last night and showered this morning ......hair is a disaster Embarassed Think people are starting to get stir crazy now so lets hope some things start to open soon
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Thu May 07, 2020 5:35 pm
I am definitely not a computer intelligent person stupid I must be as have just lost another this time lengthy post.
Suffice to say the Jean Zi understand your frustration and anxiety when electricity off as I had similar problems, no tv etc tried everything looked at fuses etc, checked with neighbour's,mt heirs was ok, then next day looking at meter I noticed three switches tucked right underneath outside the meter box, could hardly get finger in to press, then nothing happened, tried agsin and  WOW all well again.
Jean, I went to post a card for yr birthday but after I had dropped it into the postbox I noticed that collection will not be until 7 a.m. ,
Saturday, so who knows when you wnill eventuslly get it.
Dian, I don't know how long we have to be locked in, I went just a little way to the postbox but it seems others walking miles. I really need stuff at the chemists but better not to risk going there until I get masks which I have sent away for. But again  I Had posted order in the village l postbox so goodness knows if it will ever get there.
Pauline, I made the banana bread, just a small one as it's an small oven, and it Is. very nice, I had some for breakfast this morning. The min ro/combination works ok but nothing like proper oven.  Haha I recall my first experience with gas oven having only ever used coal oven, progress eh! And now with this virus it is setting the world back in so many ways, appreciation of the modern technicalities but realising the ever needed old down to earth  basics.
I am hungry - well peckish. - must  look in freezer. -     Lol old lady like me appreciates a freezer recalling days of warm milk and melting butter!
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Wjbous10 Hi Ladies.

Well been a lazy day and didn't get the rest of the tree finished because I did a few jobs indoors this morning and Maria phoned me just before Rachel was due here, so I said to Maria  to walk down and see us and made sure I had the chairs well apart for us all to sit.  Maria arrived first and I showed her all of the wedding outfits and she said how well they all matched and we had a natter for a while and then Rachel turned up with Stephen, so that was a pleasant couple of hours spent with everyone and they finished off my banana bread for me - so no more temptation for me.  While they were here a lady phoned and asked whereabouts my front door was because she had brought the face mask down for me.  When Maria saw that she asked me to order one for her and also Gennie wanted one, so when everyone had left I got on and ordered them and Maria also brought her bus pass down for me to renew on line.  Well I kept filling in all of the details and wondering why it wouldn't proceed onto the next page and then read fully what it was telling me - that the pass expired on the 10th May (we knew that), but in 2023.  Just given Maria a laugh and said to her I know we are all kind of forgetting what day it is, but not the year Rolling Eyes.  Anyway next time she goes down to the local shop either tomorrow or Sunday she is going to collect it from me.  Rachel and Stephen brought down a large bag of photos, albums and paperwork and he started looking through them while he was here and now I have been left with them to sort through.  We found one photo of his nan and grandad when they were young, holding his dad as a very young baby and we had never seen that before and there was a letter from the Middlesex Regiment (that his dad did his National Service with) telling her what to expect about the training that Brian would be receiving in the Army - so quite a bit of family history there and plenty for me to go through - and none of the photos dated or in any sort of order in the albums.  That should make me get on with my own ones that I need to sort.

Rita do hope you get that hospital message sorted and find out what it was about.  That was nice being able to have a long chat with your daughter, typing on line and see they are talking there about opening up golf courses again and the garden centres in Canada and we will have to see what Boris says on Sunday about easing the lock down.  Hope things will be fine for her husband and the results of the tests will turn out okay for him.  See you went for one of your walks in the sunshine yesterday (and got you away from the building noise for a while).  No good worrying about the weeds (look on them as wild flowers), because we don't want you tipping over.  No Rita, I resisted the urge to buy anymore plants and I have got quite a few seeds coming up now - some petunias, plenty of marigolds and nasturtiums sprouting through. Hoping I will get a few delphiniums to a fairly good height, ready to overwinter for next year, as I am now short of them.  My hedgehog is definitely still around, but don't know where he is sheltering because he has got too fat to get back into his original shelter. Sorry to read you lost another post today and you had big problems with your electric, but solved it in the end. Hope you get your masks soon and I am pleased with the one I got today.  Glad the banana bread turned out well for you and yes, like me, a slice for breakfast - naughy, but nice. Laughed about what you said at first getting used to using a gas oven, but must admit things are so much better now with refrigeration, no butter standing in cold water to stop it melting or leaving a bucket of water out for the milkman to put the pinta in while we were out at work.

Jean, electricity problems for you too to start the day off and your son came over to try and sort it out for you, but you reckon the problem is with the microwave, which you want to replace.  Will be a wonder if you can get an electrician at the moment to sort things out for you.  

Dian, sorting through those photos is going to take for ever, but will keep me busy and no chance of me running out of things to do.  See it was chilly for you today, but got to say, it was very hot here and in fact got a bit too much sitting out in it, but enjoyed that catch up we all had.  See you washed and set your hair last night and you reckon it is getting to a disaster stage.  Well my hair still looks okay after a couple of days from trimming it again, but not going to last, because I must have cut most of the perm out now.  There are certainly more people about near me and cars on the road and it really doesn't matter so long as we all go by the guide lines and keep a safe distance from each other - I feel so sorry for those that are having to look after very young children, in high rise flats and no gardens to get into with them, must be so stressful for families like that.

Well ladies I had better go and water some of the seedlings and get the food out again for the birds and the hedgehog for later.  Enjoy your evening and have a peaceful night.

Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri May 08, 2020 9:06 am
sitting here in the dining room wearing dressing gown over clothes
hopefully the sun will come out soon have turned off the heating
Rita shall have a long birthday this year maybe get your card tomorrow no post today of course
to think I should be going to the Isle of Sky sunday seemed nice on the TV this was our 4th attempt to get there
now have found out Coco has a rash on her underneath. she did sit in the garden a lot yesterday
shall have to sort that out or it is vets they charge£8 0 to come out here
happy VE day everyone
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Yellow10Talk about being my own worst enemy when it comes to time wasting. After going briefly through those photos and papers that Stephen brought down and as it was VE day, I decided to find the certificate below and post it on my Catford and Bellingham groups on Facebook and of course, since then had a load of remarks made about it and had to answer them:-

Hello Everyone - Page 2 Img20211so now got to get that back where I got it out from (and of course, if was the bottom of the bottom shelf)  Rolling Eyes

So far only achieved watering the seeds this morning and filling up the bird bath (due to all those starlings liking their baths) and must next get the covers again over the seeds and feed the birds - continual that job this time of the year.

Jean and Rita, you know this lady as she has joined us at our meet ups and lunches out, Joey who used to go to one of the clubs Maria and I belonged to.  She phoned yesterday to see how we all were and was saying that she does miss the garden at her old house, because she moved to a retirement place at St. Crispins area where her sister had moved to previously (built on land that had been part of the old mental hospital property) and she said there is only a communal area outside to sit with very uncomfortable benches and the management of the area have told them they can't use it, so rebellion at that place this week.

Jean I am looking forward to when we don't have to put the heating back on again throughout the coming summer, but no chance with the forecast for this Sunday.  You have got your wish becaue the sun is out and very hot too and I have some washing out there drying on the airer (at least one more job I achieved this morning and means the ironing pile will be getting taller).  Hopefully you will be lucky with a 5th attempt to get to the Isle of Skye - that is if you don't give up on trying.  Hope you can deal with the rash on Coco - perhaps caused by insects when she was in the garden for quite a while yesterday - you definitely don't need any vet bills. Enjoy your birthday on Sunday and I must phone Margaret Twyner tomorrow (another club member) as it is her birthday (you and Rita met her at the lunches out).

Maria just called down to collect the bus pass and is going to try and get her phone topped up at the local shop on the way back and I have managed to cover the seeds again to protect them from the sun and fed the birds, so off to consult the list to see what to do next and don't think I have the energy today to finish off the tree.

Hope Dian and Rita that your day is going well and the rest of the afternoon and evening goes well for all of you and you are having a happy V E day and enjoying all that is on the t v.  The film The Darkest Hour is on tomorrow evening on BBC with Gary Oldman playing the part of Churchill and if any of you haven't seen it yet, it is brilliant and well worth watching..
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 63683121Pauline good you enjoyed your visit with Rachel and Stephen and i,m sure Maria enjoyed the company too.Yes have enjoyed the shows on TV today which is why I am on here late.I did do a small washing also washed nets and windows ,A day  which was not sure what it was going to be.......chilly then sun then clouds all day
Jean shame you missed your holiday but maybe better luck next time
Rita hope your day has gone well Plenty to watch on television today
Well pleased got nets washed and up and 2 windows washed but afraid watched a lot of tv today
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 pm
I do not remember ever getting that letter from the King and nor does David, so am printing it out thank you.
Coco is better today rash nearly gone, but now yesterday she recovered enough to have a fight with a magpie...bit worried here as it might get her eyes out.
she was not having it torment her and when he zoomed past again she nearly got it in the tail. been looking for it this morning.
The post has been today and no cards have appeared although I know there are some on the way.....
I am not looking forward to tomorrow was planning to have a barbie so that people could come up and sit far from the food and may even speak
to each other. One of my friends says that they were all sitting out where I use to live and talking, and then she fell over getting back indoors and has
been quite poorly.
Another friend phoned today and said her doctors nurse has phoned her, informed her that the surgery was open, and was she ok. also that it would be open
yesterday (unheard of and the next Bank Holiday) SHe says that she thinks they are phoning people who live on their own, as some of her friends have had a call
Dian my get up and go has gone today, see yours is still working
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat May 09, 2020 3:48 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 F1wevx10Thought we all needed to be looking at cool water today with all of that hot sun out there, that I hope you are all getting.

I phoned Margaret this morning (the lady I mentioned yesterday) and said to her that it wasn't such a good birthday for her today like last year - Maria and I were both at her birthday party last year and it was so enjoyable and she is getting bored as she is in a one bedroom flat with just the communal garden around, but does see another friend who lives in the same complex and they both sit well away from one another when visiting and she didn't even realise that we could use our bus passes at the moment 24 hours a day.  She did manage to get over to Amanda (her daughter on our estate) last week and Amanda is disabled, so was able to do quite a bit of housework for her and the ironing, but totally has only been out a couple of times since the lockdown.

At the moment while I am typing this I have got Garden Rescue on and thinking I sould be going out there and rescuing mine and I didn't water last evening, so it badly needs it. Last evening watched Kinky Boots again (one of my favourite films) which definitely put Northampton on the map.  Steve Patemen (the real Charlie Price) eventually closed his factory in 2000 which was in Earls Barton and at one time there were 6 thriving shoe factories in that village and now only one.  I used to walk past his and some of the old factories when I was on the way to do Greg and Tess's ironing (Greg being my plumber) and there was one opening up again when I last went there several years back.  He eventually stopped the business in 2006 (which he had been running from his home after closing the factory) and is now a fireman with the Northants Service and has just written his book:-

Hello Everyone - Page 2 Boss_i10

Tonight I am going to watch the Darket Hour again which Maria and I saw at our local cinema and looking forward to that, but not looking forward to that cold weather forecast for tomorrow.

Dian see you enjoyed the VE shows on t v yesterday, but still found time to do a couple of windows and wash the nets and it was a chilly grey day for you, so best spent watching television.  Wondering if you have better weather today.

Jean glad you can print out that letter from the King - they were apparently sent out to all parents of children at school, so perhaps it was something that yours and David's parents never kept and glad you have printed it out.  On the back of it was all of the interesting dates of important events during WW2. See the rash that was on Coco has almost gone, so that is good and she is determined to sort out that magpie who is swooping over her - don't think you have to worry about the bird going for her eyes, because watching them in my garden, they won't even take any chances when it comes to standing up to a wood pigeon and soon back away from any fight.  Shame you didn't get the birthday cards today ready for your birthday tomorrow and I did post mine on Wednesday and hoped it would have been with you by now, but know the post is sluggish. Sorry to read about the fall your friend had after being able to sit out and have a chat with others and shame the weather is going to be so horrible and cold tomorrow (forecast) so you can't even get together in your garden at a distance from one another and no bbq.  With that info from your friend it does look as though the GPs are contacting people because they are worried about people ignoring health conditions and then having to face a tsunami of very ill people from other illnesses that they have been ignoring.  Like you said to Dian, my get up and go has vanished off somewhere today, but must get the garden watered at least.

Hope things are okay with you Rita and all of you take it easy and enjoy the sunshine today (that is if it is pleasant weather where you are).

P.S just heard on the news that Little Richard has died at the age of 87.

I also just found this on one of the answers to my posting on my Facebook groups and this is the back of that letter from George VI:-

Hello Everyone - Page 2 97088510

Sorry it is a bit on the large side, but if I had made it smaller then the lettering wouldn't have been clear.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sat May 09, 2020 6:48 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Cqvrhw29Pauline what a shame about your friends birthday but think we are all in same boat at the moment.When I was watching war films think we are so lucky considering what people had to put up with then .......dreadful so feel.I really should not complain.Weather not so good today till later on but did get out in back with a book
Jean shame you have not got your cards yet.Coco will defend herself I am sure. Magpies really like to annoy but are fly.Good her rash has gone. I am sure you will have a nice birthday tomorrow so enjoy
Rita hope you are having a good weekend and maybe manage a small walk
Dull day to start with then later in the day sun did appear so enjoyed sitting in it reading a good book Son popped in for a chat and said gardener was coming tomorrow to do garden for me so pleased to hear that, Shrubs really needing trimmed also hedge needs trimming too.Just finished my meal which I did enjoy now off for a nice cuppa.Have a good weekend all
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Sat May 09, 2020 11:20 pm
Sorry friends I thoughtI had posted recentky,  don't know where it's gone or  what I've done to lose it. Maybe it's me who îs losing it.
quiet times not seeing anyone altho I did see my next door neighbour this morning when I was tidying front door and windiw sills. We remarked on empty buses going to and fro to nthampton and she said there is a woman who seems to ride on them all day everyday, -she can see the bus stand from her window.  
I saw on facebook daughter in Canada they had had SNOW again, had been pleased that daffodils and tulips blooming then snow.!
They had been looking forward  to gardening.  
I made my self go into garden this afternoon,  emptied two large pots of spent Spring flowers, cleaned soil as best I could, and bagged it, to keep,  then did a bit of weeding,  then so tired  I Made   tea then went to bed and slept.  
I have watched some of the victory programmes, so many lives lost.  I vaguely recall  the bonfire celebrations in the village., but remember when the street lights went on and the blackout was lifted,  
I can't think what to write. Take care all. Bye
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun May 10, 2020 9:25 am
Be back later to read and post Ladies, but in the meantime here is wishing you a very Happy Birthday Jean.

Hello Everyone - Page 2 Oie_fr10

Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am
Many thanks for the card Pauline, very nice.
I have asked my friends in different counties if they had a letter and all have said no. still I have got one now.
It is horrible here today like the middle of winter.normally I put on my summer dresses and keep wearing them on my birthday
at least we have not got the heating on yet.
when we went to L.A. Little Richard had the whole floor on the top of the hotel, we never saw him
we found it all a bit sleazy
have a great day everyone, I have put the winter stuff back on
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Sun May 10, 2020 11:18 am
Many happy returns of Your Birthday Jean.
I have posted a card, you will get it some day.🍝🎂
It's cold, dull and windy here today. No sitting outside.!
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun May 10, 2020 11:33 am
.Hello Everyone - Page 2 0sfnge18
Jean wishing you Many Happy Returns .........Enjoy your day xxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun May 10, 2020 11:38 am
Hello Everyone - Page 2 1o3wsa19
Nothing new from last night ladies.Change in the weather as quite chilly this morning. Gardener has called so pleased with that.Trusting all are having a good day especially you Jean on your birthday.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun May 10, 2020 12:10 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 Clemat10Back again having answered the emails and fed the birds and closed the door on the outside world and put the heating back on again  Sad.

Jean not a nice day to celebrate your birthday on, but I expect you will make the best of it and at least you have one card. No summer dress for you today either and see the winter items are back on again, but so far resisted in putting the heating back on again - you can see I have just switched it back on. See you were in the hotel in L A where Little Richard had the whole top floor - never having been I would imagine that all of LA is a bit on the sleazy and glitzy side and well over the top.

Dian, See your comment about the war films and what people went through then and being a toddler there are quite a few things I can remember and of course, the shortages going on well after the war, but watching the Darkest Hour again last night for the second time, it made me realise what a mammoth task that Churchill took on and quite honestly I don't know where any of us would have been today without his determination and thank goodness he went with Admiral Ramsey's plan and the British Army were rescued from Dunkirk, but with so many awful casualties and deaths, but we should be so proud of being part of a nation that went through all of that (and on that occasion without any help from America), just the British nation helping each other. There is so much of that going on at the moment too, with those that are still working and others in the community helping family, friends and neighbours, so a little lock down is nothing and we will get through it eventually and like you have said, we are lucky compared to what others put up with in the past. I see the weather improved for you yesterday and you did manage to sit outside reading a book for a while, but don't think that is going to happen today for any of us. See your son popped in and told you that the gardener would be arriving today and just caught up with your post from today and despite the chilly weather, the gardener got to you.

Rita I think we are all losing it at the moment and Maria and I had to laugh about missing the date on her bus pass and being 2 years early trying to renew it for her  Rolling Eyes. See you had a chat with your neighbour when you were outside the front cleaning the window sills and front door (must do mine soon) and you commented on the buses to and from here being fairly empty, but one lady seemed to be travelling on them each day . Snow for Leigh in Canada and this morning they showed snow in the north of Scotland and the coastal areas of N E England, so winter is back for a while. Well done with all of that garden work you did yesterday and reckon you deserved that tea and a sleep in bed after that. I can remember that my dad made a wooden V sign with lights on it that we had in our landing window that looked out on the front street, but that is about all I can recall of VE day and see that you can vaguely remember the bonfire celebrations in the village.

Well ladies, I am going to go back and get in my bed and sort out a few photos (the ones that Stephen brought over), do some sewing and catch up on more recorded t v and stay warm and cosy today. Hope the day goes well for all of you.
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 pm
As I said the victory celebration bonfires etc  seemed strange. Men still away. People still not knowing where their loved ones were in the world. So many never returning.  One a navigator in the RAF, a  neighbour just 18 Navy, gone,  a soldier in the Lancashire Fusilier gone,    Merchant Navy, gone.  Young as we were we dreaded seeing them telegram boy on his bike, which house was he going to? .  Olive Williams schoolfriend bomb on the house.  My sister sheltered under her bed with her baby when the house opposite was bombed, all  in a small village, not the terrible destruction as in the towns   The lad next door was in Burma, he returned for VJ Day.
Men had been conscripted to work in the mines instead if in the forces (Bevan Boys). The coal essential  for  everything..
Memories.
Now neighbour came to tell me of friend  Jean whose family made her move into a flat which she hated and she has had another fall breaking her leg etc and is in hospital with the Corona ViIRUS..........
I am ok, and thankful to be so.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 am
I had a nice birthday yesterday with lots of flowers. today shall continue having a birthday because at least four of the cards are still in the post?
My Aunt in the home got her son to send me one, but that has not arrived either. they have the bug in the home, with two of them. so am worried about her. she is much brighter and remembered my birthday.
Spoke to Barry yesterday and they tell him all is well in Jills home.
This morning woke up with a headache and only had one glass of gin last night, but it was 40% proof
Pauline my friends were pleased about that letter from the King although they did not get one, but are printing it out
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am
Hello Everyone - Page 2 W9epvn10Sun is out on and off, but that wind is so cold and strong and heating still on indoors.  Yesterday sorted through quite a lot of those photos and paperwork and caught up on a bit of sewing and also recorded tv, so a bit of a lazy day indoors and I don't think I will be going out there today into the garden, but when I do there is quite a bit of tidying up to do again because of the wind e.g honeysuckle got to be tied back again and it is growing very well but lots of branches of it now blowing here and there and not running where it should and of course, the grass is growing at a pace.  Went out spot on 10 last evening (because that is when the hedgehog appears) to put the food down and there were two of them waiting.  

Well I don't know about any of you, but got even more confused now with regard to the latest instructions from the Government and hopefully it will become clearer when the 50 page document is issued today and thinking how confusing it is for people who now might be asked to return to work and still have children at home - what about the child care for them and how many arguments is it going to cause between employees and the managements?  Just far too muddling at the moment for a lot of people and I also see it is reported that since Germany eased lockdown, the cases of the virus have started going up again and where it started in China they have reported their first case in weeks since things eased.  Just very worrying still all round and let's hope they can find a vaccine soon, so until then I am going to be just as careful as I have been over the last 7 weeks and know you ladies will feel the same.

Rita it is strange that I have only that one memory of VE day, considering I have quite a few of the actual bombing and being ready when the air raid sirens sounded and on one occasion I heard the one from the south coast before the inner London one started and grabbed my Gran's bag with the important family paperwork in, called to her from the front room door - she was on a low stool dusting a ledge above the fireplace at the time and hadn't heard it and thought I was wrong, but soon reacted when the London one started wailing, but you being that much older have far more memories of the actual war time and VE Day and interesting to read of those that you have mentioned.  Compared to what we went through then, this situation, although worrying and frustrating, is nothing to complain about really and see you feel the same.  Upsetting news you received about a friend Jean, whose family made her move into a flat which she hated and has since had a fall and now in hospital with the virus - do hope it isn't too serious for her and you get some better news soon about her.

Jean good to know you managed to enjoy your birthday yesterday and now have more cards today and got lots of flowers.  That is good to know that your Aunt is alert and remembered about your birthday, but worrying to know that the virus has affected at least 2 people in the home where she is.  Good news that all is okay in the home where Jill is and hope that Barry has improved in health by now.  Well with the headache this morning, at least you know you had that gin last night  Very Happy.  Glad to read you have been able to pass that letter from the King onto your friends, yes all children who were at school were issued with those and I suppose a lot of parents didn't perhaps hang onto them, but nice to be of help and know we all deserved one of them.

Hi Dian hope today goes well for you and expect you will be in later to post.

Going to make a cup of coffee next and then brave the cold and get the food down for the birds and get back in the warm quickly.  Have a good day all of you.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 2 1i6fjy15.Pauline I am sure you would find going through the photos quite interesting and take you back in time. Good you enjoyed some time for yourself yesterday.Always something to be done in garden and as you say grass keeps on growing no matter what. See your hedgehogs are back.I have never seen a hedgehog about here.I have noticed one of my shrubs has died cotoneaaster but as there is 2 of them and intertwined not sure which one as difficult to get in .mind you has been in for years.Gardener said leave it at the moment and maybe the other one will grow over it not sure about that but think when I feel better will investigate more.Always something going on in garden. One Rhododendron in flower and pretty second one halfway there in tub so garden on the move and most of the blossom down and it was so pretty but gardener blown most of it away now and pleased with that as was sticky underfoot but lovely for short time. He trimmed all shrubs at back and in front also grass and pleased he cut grass other side of back fence so pleased he done that and hedge  looking tidy again but so annoyed I never got it done as really enjoy the garden
Jean good you enjoyed your birthday and flowers so nice to receive.you will get your cards soon I,m sure.Pleased to hear Jill is fine also Barry has improved too.That was nice your aunt remembered your birthday
Rita that was a lot you remembered from the war.I just remember bits and bobs but do remember the telegram boys on their bikes and how folk dreaded them.I also remember my mother getting eggs in the post from her sister who lived in the highlands and they kept hens My lot did not believe at first when I told them Their  was special boxes for that then
Turned out another nice day but chilly when sun disappears I did sit out for an hour after I hung out a small washing. Now going to vacuum upstairs as dusted 2 rooms yesterday and might finish another one.Hope all have enjoyed their day
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 pm
Hi Ladies, back again for a second time today and just received an email from you Jean (and have answered it with the name of the white flowers) and here is the photo of the flowers and cards you sent me:-

Hello Everyone - Page 2 Jean_s12

Dian I only did a bit of dead heading this morning in the garden because it was so cold and windy out there and still is, so got on with those photos and what a job that is, but as you say, am enjoying the memories as I sort them.  See you have one shrub that you have got to investigate later when you get the chance (and the weather), but sounds as though the gardener did a really good job for you and has cut the hedge also.  I know how you feel though, not being able to do a lot of it yourself at the moment, because I know how you enjoy doing your own gardening.  I  see you remember the telegram boys on their bikes and everyone dreading their appearance in the neighbourhood - that is one thing I don't remember.  Interesting reading about the eggs from your sister in the Highlands - we had fresh eggs because my grandfather always kept chickens.  See the weather wasn't as windy for you as it has been here, although a bit on the chilly side, but you managed to get some washing done and sat out in the garden for a while. Well done with getting your housework done upstairs and I must really try and get more done of mine up there.

Enjoy your evening everyone.  
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 pm
Hi Change in the weather, I have noticed that when daughter in Canada  tells me of change (they had snow) then soon after it changes here too.    I had another restless night then slept for three hours this afternoon. One day goes into next having on,y TV for up dates.   Realised it was bin day tomorrow when I saw that neighbour's had put their bins out..
I meant to do an order  for groceries from shoo but firgot so must do it now to get delivery.  It will be a treat to lok round a shop sgsin A note came up to say postings made whilst I on line.  I firget what I said before. Did I say I had done a bit of  clearing up in garden can't do much tho.   I mean to do all sorts, of course keep my home clean, but  can't do inside Windows or high up jobs any more. It will be nice to be able to go out and about, chat to someone.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum