Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Hello Everyone - Page 20 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Sat May 22, 2021 2:10 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 C4s9sg10 Pauline you are certainly cracking on with the kitchen work Sorry you got those nuisance calls at such an early time it is not fair how they are getting away with them.

Jean you are having such a tough time with the worry for David. Really do hope now he will be getting the right treatment and you will be getting the right help .Good the family are there for you which does help

Barbara hope you and David also Andrew are having a nice day with no problems

Rita good you got out for shopping. I always wished I had curls......lucky you

Funny day here not too sure if it will rain but we have had wind and some sun so far .Got a washing out but was not too sure if the washing machine would work but so far seems fine. Still quite chilly so will not be working outside. Going to youngest daughter tomorrow for lunch They will pick me up about 11 am so looking forward to that .She is back at work now but has to still attend hospital for more tests. Wishing you all a nice trouble free day
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We have much calmer weather here today, thank goodness!  Rain was forecast for this afternoon but it hasn't arrived yet.  It's still not at all cold, thankfully.

David did the essential shopping early this morning and then went to the terrain to take part in the club's AGM.  It had to be held in the open air due to the need for social distancing.  Luckily the weather stayed fine.  Andrew has gone into Central London to meet up with some of his old uni friends.  They'll be having lunch in a nice restaurant and then enjoying the rest of the day together.  I went out for a walk this morning and did some shopping, when there was a slight drizzle which didn't amount to much at all.

Dian, yesterday your daughter picked you up at 9am and so you weren't long in when you posted and were feeling quite tired but I'm glad you enjoyed the day out.  You were able to buy 2 nice tops and also more plants.  You'll need to get your finger out and get them all planted up soon.  You did manage to get a nice snack in a hotel near where your daughter lives.  After posting, you fed the cat and had a snack yourself.

Jean, Pauline has posted a copy of your email regarding David.  I'll be thinking of you both and saying some prayers.

Rita, you went to Sainsburys and indeed were fortunate not to get wet.  You went straight onto the bus going there and it had stopped raining when you came back.   Yesterday, you had a phone call from a man.  You heard him say your name but after that couldn't make out anything he said.  You can't follow when people talk too fast.  You found it upsetting, as it might have been important.  The implant you have for hearing is ok if you can see the person speaking but you rarely hear anyone otherwise.  Masks are a bother and so are phones.  You paid £20 for a young woman to come and cut your hair.  It seemed ok, but you've cut more off here and there, as you thought it was too long.  It won't stay put being curly, and so it'll be a while before you dare ask her to come and sort it out for you.

Pauline, you were up early and put out the bird food, but decided to go back to bed for a couple of hours.  Just after 7, the phone went.  It was one of those nuisance calls and you tried to get to sleep again, but there was another call at 7.45, and so you gave up trying to rest as a bad job.  You came downstairs and made a coffee and altered the settings on the main phone so that the answerphone switches on after two rings.  If it's someone you know, they wouldn't be phoning at such unsociable hours and you can always phone them back when they leave a message, but the scammers probably wouldn't bother and gradually they just might get fed up with your number, but they are becoming a real nuisance at the moment.  We get loads of those calls too and they're just so annoying!  The trouble is that the Telephone Preference Service only covers calls from the UK and Europe, but most of those calls are made by computers in the US, Africa, India, etc., and so aren't covered by that system.  When you got up again, you went outside after sorting out the phone to drink your coffee and the rain started spit spotting again, and so any idea of garden work went out of the window, and so you continued indoors.  Yesterday you used the caulk on the two areas where the wood had been sawn away either side of the blind.  It was originally constructed that way when the house was built, for the width of curtains to be put up, but you knocked that idea on the head a long while ago as, being behind a sink, they used to get so splashed, and so you only need a net up now and the blind.  That took well and with the weather being continuous rain yesterday, you carried on with the decorating and got the first coat of white all along the window wall and turned the corner and worked to the area where the hob is.  You also had to use some of the caulk where the worktop trim on the walls didn't quite meet the walls evenly and that went ok.  Today you'll get the second coat of white on so that colour is all even and then you might do some more of the blue.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun May 23, 2021 10:37 am
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20102617/656]Hello Everyone - Page 20 Ckplib25[/ur l Hi Ladies Just a quick hello as waiting on daughter to pick me up shortly .Weather not looking too good at the moment.......Jean do hope all is improving for you and do hope you finally get the help which you really need......Barbara hope you and the boys having a nice Sunday........Rita also hope your day is going along nicely........Pauline just know you will be busy as ever with the kitchen birds and garden........Just know I will be too tired when I get home form daughters
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Sun May 23, 2021 11:51 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Rounde12  I really felt like that this morning and would have loved to stay in bed, but knew there was still a lot to get done.  Yesterday unexpectedly I managed to get a couple of hours in the garden in the morning as the sun stayed out and it was dry and then later in the evening cleared up a lot of the cuttings. I did get a lot of the edges sorted and trimmed and other patches of tall grass cut with the shears and I can now see my bamboo edging all around the garden and the pathway is clearer.  Large pile of cuttings swept to the side near the back gate, but out of the way and will deal with them when I get the mower out, as a lot of that can be spread out on the lawn and get chopped down smaller.  Also got some more painting done with the white and finished off the blue near the boiler cupboard and washing machine - so fiddly getting those edges straight.

This morning I have shifted two large carrier bags full of my table cloths, tea cloths and hand towels for downstairs and found room for them in the kitchen cupboards. They were on the landing and I have got to sort out the items that are perched up the stairs and make more clearance as I will need the space for the chairs to stand when the flooring goes down and as I am only returning from Rugby the day before that happens, I must think ahead now as there won't be a lot of time when I get back.  A lot of the items for crafting that I had been working on before the upheaval started, got shoved in boxes and bags, so temporarily will put them back in the craft room for the time being, until I can start work on them once again - that is when the kitchen/diner is finished, house back in order and garden tidy once more Shocked.  Got one lot of dark and working clothes washed this morning and after this going to put in the lighter articles (thinking ahead for my short trip away and better get cracking with some ironing too).  I am also debating whether to perm my hair tomorrow and trying to last out with regard to shopping until Tuesday, because got the optician's appointment then and can get the shopping in one go.

Dian, glad to read that your washing machine worked fine yesterday (no leaks) and hope you got the washing dry, because you weren't sure what type of weather to expect.  Enjoy lunch at your youngest daughter's today and good to read that she is getting better and back at work, but still more tests for her to receive.

Barbara,  as you can see from my post, I made the most of that dry spell yesterday morning and looks as though it was the same for you, but rain was forecast for late and same here and it did arrive in the afternoon.  See the AGM for David had to take place in the open air, so good job that it stayed dry.  Sounds as though Andrew enjoyed that lunch out with friends in central London and you managed to get a walk in and did some shopping, bit of drizzle while you were out, but not enough to worry you.

Rita I hope your weekend is going well and have answered you email.

Jean emailed me and said that yesterday she just felt "yuck" and I answered and told her to get some rest in for herself when she could, because she has had such a worrying and stresful time to go through and tomorrow Paul will be there to alter the fuse box, etc.

Stephen and Rachel just phoned and were on the way back from Fordingbridge (New Forest area) where they had a break for a couple of days with Rachel's cousins and had a good rest and although the weather wasn't that good they enjoyed the break and I am looking forward to seeing them for next Bank Holiday weekend.  Back to the clearance job for me and hope you all have a problem free day.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun May 23, 2021 4:07 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

Today's weather started off with lovely warm sunshine but in the late morning, the rain arrived and it's been raining on and off ever since! Luckily it's still not at all cold.

David went out to buy a newspaper first thing this morning and then went to the terrain to play in the club session. He won 2 games and then started a third but soon after that, the heavens opened and so the members decided to abandon that game and they all went home. That was the end of that! Andrew has been having an easy day after yesterday's outing with some of his old uni friends. They had lunch at a pub in Greenwich and then walked along by the River Thames. All in all, a nice day out for them! We all watched the Eurovision Song Contest last night but were disappointed that the UK song didn't even get one point! This morning, I watched a Mass from a nearby church and then did some work on my computer. After lunch, I attempted to complete the General Knowledge Crossword in a TV magazine but didn't get very far with it. I also completed some word puzzles in Take A Break magazine. When I've completed all the puzzles, I shall send them off on line. After that, I did some more work on my computer. There was no chance of my having a walk this afternoon, due to the on/off rain.

Dian, you came in here this morning just to give us a quick "Hello" as you were waiting on your daughter picking you up. Your weather wasn't looking too good and it sounds just like ours! I expect you were tired after arriving home from your daughter's but I bet it was a "nice" tired!

Pauline, you would've loved to stay in bed this morning, but knew there was still a lot to get done. Yesterday, unexpectedly, you managed to get a couple of hours in the garden in the morning, as the sun stayed out and it was dry. Later in the evening, you cleared up a lot of the cuttings. You did get a lot of the edges sorted and trimmed and other patches of tall grass cut with the shears. You can now see your bamboo edging all around the garden and the pathway is clearer. Large piles of cuttings have been swept to the side near the back gate, but they're out of the way and you'll deal with them when you get the mower out, as a lot of that can be spread out on the lawn and get chopped down smaller. You also got some more painting done with the white and finished off the blue near the boiler cupboard and washing machine. It's so fiddly getting those edges straight! This morning you shifted two large carrier bags full of your table cloths, tea cloths and hand towels for downstairs and found room for them in the kitchen cupboards. They were on the landing and you've got to sort out the items that are perched up the stairs and make more clearance as you'll need the space for the chairs to stand when the flooring goes down. As you're only returning from Rugby the day before that happens, you need to think ahead now as there won't be a lot of time when you get back. A lot of the items for crafting that you'd been working on before the upheaval started, got shoved in boxes and bags, and so temporarily you'll put them back in the craft room for the time being, until you can start work on them once again - that is, when the kitchen/diner is finished, the house is back in order and the garden tidy once more. You got one lot of dark and working clothes washed this morning and after posting this, you're going to put in the lighter articles (thinking ahead for the short trip away and better get cracking with some ironing too!). You're also debating whether to perm your hair tomorrow and you're trying to last out with regard to shopping until Tuesday, because you've got the optician's appointment then and can get the shopping in one go.

That was good advice that you gave Jean, in that she should get some rest for herself, with the worrying and stressful time that she's having at the moment. I do hope there's some good news about her David soon.

I hope that Rita is in fine fettle.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon May 24, 2021 11:31 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Lfvtai10  Hello Ladies.  Yesterday I spent the entire day on clearing items back into the understairs cupboard (tools, decorating materials, etc.,)  that I had finished with and making sure that I could reach everything without too much trouble and even got one of the stepladders back in there.  Paint and tools that I am still using are all sorted and have been placed on the side of the lower stairs, and when I close down the picnic table and pasting table that I am still using to work on, there is now room for them to stand in the hall.  It was a bit of a tedious and tiring job keeping on going in and out of the understairs cupboard and bending down at the back and making sure I didn't bang my head on the drop of the stairs, but got it done. The few geraniums that were still in the porch are now outside, making room for items to be stood in the porch out of the way and a lot of items that were on the landing and stairs that were for crafting, are now back in the craft room and now I have places to stand the chairs out of the way when the flooring is done.  Finished off with a bath and washed my hair ready for perming today and that is going to be done next after posting this.

Barbara, I see yesterday started off okay for you, but then the rain arrived on and off through the day.  We had the same here this morning, brilliant sunshine until 10.30 now the rain has arrived once again.  David and other members called a halt to the games after playing two and went home.  I see that Andrew enjoyed an easy day after the meeting and lunch with his old uni friends in Greenwich and enjoyed a walk along the Thames.  My Mum was born in Greenwich (Column Street), but moved away because their house was bomb damaged and they were rehoused in Bellingham just before I was born. When she was 80 we took her for a day out back there again and the people who then owned the property let us take her inside and see how different it all was and of course, plenty of time spent in Greenwich park that day, where we all used to go to regularly on a Sunday or myself and friend would visit during school holidays.  Yesterday you watch Mass from a local church and attempted to do several crossword puzzles, etc., and see that when you complete the Take a Break mag puzzles you will enter them on line - best of luck and hope you might win.  I still think the voing with regard to the Eurovision song contest is political, although I really don't think our entry was that good and I had that on while I was trying to get some straight edges with regard to the painting, on Saturday evening, so I was listenting rather than watching and cannot say that there really was one entry that really impressed me enough to stop and watch

Dian I know you will have enjoyed the lunch at your youngest daughter's house.

Rita, although quiet I expect you had a good weekend and just wish you were feeling better.

Jean thoughts with you and David and do hope be is benefitting from the nurses' visits and that you don't have to wait too long for the test results.  I know today Paul is sorting out the electrics for you and your granddaughter is supposed to be there with you. Hope the work goes well.

Well ladies I must away now so that perm is completed by early afternoon and then I will set it and keep it covered until tomorrow morning, so if I get the chance to do some more painting today or any dusty work, it is protected from that, then tomorrow I have the opticians' appointment followed by the shopping.  I hope the start of the week goes okay for all of you.  
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 F1wevx21 Pauline you must be so pleased now with so much done and tidied away and new homes found for items. That was a lot of hard work. Good you are now off to perm your hair as it makes us feel so much better

Jean do hope you are having a better day and do hope you are getting the help which you need

Barbara see you got the rain yesterday and rain stopped play for David which was wise. Andrew enjoyed his day with his friends from Uni. That was good you watched Mass from a nearby Church then attempted more crosswords

Rita hope you had a nice weekend

I got picked up at 11am and we drove down the coast to a nice large  garden centre where we had lunch then a walk about and I did buy more plants so now will be busy getting them potted on .Then we came back the scenic route which was nice and had tea in daughters house. Later I enjoyed a nice meal out with family then I got home about 8pm.Very tired but happy .Daughters mother in law also enjoyed the day out with us. It was good to catch up with them all as grandson and granddaughter also joined us for the meal out. I have got a cold so having a lazy day to see if I can shift it ( a good excuse Very Happy )
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Mon May 24, 2021 4:47 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We're having a day of sunshine and showers here, except that there hasn't been much in the way of sunshine! Consequently, the only one of us to have gone out today is David and that was when he went out early this morning to do the essential shopping. The weather wasn't too bad back then, fortunately! I've never known a May like this one! This is the last spring month but we haven't really had any spring weather yet!

Andrew is now eligible for a Covid vaccine. He rang our GP surgery this morning to try and arrange a slot at the Fairfield Halls, in Croydon, which is where David and I had ours, but there are no slots available for the time being for the Pfizer vaccine, which is the one that our government has said that Andrew's age group should have. He was advised to ring back next week, after the Late Spring Bank Holiday next Monday, but in the meantime he went online and found he could book that vaccine at Guy's Hospital, which is near London Bridge, for next Sunday morning, and it's very easy to get to on the train. I've worked on my computer today, have attempted the cryptic crossword and have completed and sent off online the puzzles in my Take A Break magazine.

Pauline, yesterday you spent the entire day clearing items back into the understairs cupboard (tools, decorating materials, etc.,) that you'd finished with and making sure that you could reach everything without too much trouble and even got one of the stepladders back in there. Paint and tools that you're still using are all sorted and have been placed on the side of the lower stairs, and when you close down the picnic table and pasting table that you're still using to work on, there is now room for them to stand in the hall. It was a bit of a tedious and tiring job keeping on going in and out of the understairs cupboard and bending down at the back and making sure you didn't bang your head on the drop of the stairs, but you got it done. The few geraniums that were still in the porch are now outside, making room for items to be stood in the porch out of the way and a lot of items that were on the landing and stairs that were for crafting, are now back in the craft room. Now you have places to stand the chairs out of the way when the flooring is done. You finished off with a bath and washed your hair ready for perming today and that's what you did after posting in here.

I see that our weather has been similar again. Annoying weather, isn't it! Some years ago, you gave your mum a lovely day on her 80th birthday and took her back to Greenwich to see her old house which she and her family had to leave due to bomb damage. It's my belief too that the voting at the Eurovision Song Contest has been political for some years now and should be all about the songs! This is why we got "nil points"! I don't think our song this year was strong enough to win the contest but we should've at least got some votes.

Dian, you got picked up at 11am and drove down the coast to a nice large garden centre where you had lunch and then a walk about. You did buy more plants and so now will be busy getting them potted on. Then you came back the scenic route which was nice and had tea in your daughter's house. Later you enjoyed a nice meal out with the family and you got home about 8pm. You're very tired but happy. Your daughter's mother in law also enjoyed the day out with you. It was good to catch up with them all, as your grandson and granddaughter also joined you for the meal out. I hope your cold soon goes away!

Jean, I hope things are getting better for you and David, including getting the help you need.

Rita, I hope that you're OK.

I've been watching the link to the ospreys' nest. It's so interesting! I caught up with the adult feeding the young ones, but the smallest kept being pushed out by the two bigger ones. Eventually, the adult made sure that the smallest one had some food!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Mon May 24, 2021 6:14 pm
It's hailstones here. Lights on in house as so dark outside.   Of course, not been out today, but a friend from church called with a piece of cake from their Golden Wedding. It was nice to see her although briefly as she was taking cake to others too and dashing between downpours.

My niece came yesterday, she is still waiting for news from hospital tests.  Antibiotics not working for me, guess I will have to get in touch with GP again, what a carry on these days, wait in telephone queue for half an hour to get through.

Thinking of Jean and David, just hope they are getting some attention there.

Pauline, I hope  the weather improves for when you go to Stephen's, but nevertheless I am sure you will enjoy all being together.

Barbara, you keep active with your daily walks and  exercise your brain with the crosswords, do you do the Sodoku puzzles?  I rarely do much now.

Dian, I see you had a really nice day out  and able to have a good meal actually inside restaurant. What a treat.

I should go and make something to eat,    Bye all.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue May 25, 2021 10:11 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Rhoh5i10   Hi Ladies.  

Yesterday I got my hair permed and it has turned out well - cut a lot off, but can still get it up in the flexicomb if I want.  Also managed to find room for three of my chairs in the porch after cleaning that and the lower hall, found a few more things to clear, one lot of washing done and a bit more painting - some of the second coat of white needed on window wall.  Several jobs fitted in and was surprised I managed to get through that lot. This morning got to get a move on because the opticians' appointment is at 10.30 and want to do the shopping after that, so thought I had better post on here before going out and have already dealt with the emails, surveys, petitions, etc.

Hope all want well for Jean and David yesterday and also Paul got the electrical work sorted for them.

Dian, yes the perm is done and it does make you feel so much better when those are new and you know the hair styling is going to be so quick for a while.  That sounded a lovely day out with your youngest daughter and so much fitted in, including lunch at the garden centre after a drive down the coast and see you purchased some more plants.  Drive back on the scenic route for tea at your daughter's house and later a meal out with the family. See your daughter's mother-i-l joined you for the day out and also your grandson and granddaughter, so a good gathering.  Shame you ended up with a cold yesterday and hope that doesn't get too bad, plus I know you want to get some more plants in.

Barbara, you are so right about not knowing a May like this one - usually this month seems to be when everything looks so perfect in the garden and you just wished it could stay like that, but this one is so awful with the wind and rain.  Good news that Andrew can now get the vaccine and see that is lined up for him at Guy's Hospital.  I think we both feel the same about the song contest that the song wasn't that wonderful, but didn't deserve that lack of votes.  Yes watching the Ospreys is so interesting and yesterday she managed to take her time and feed the youngest chick, because the first one will grab as much as it can.

Rita,  awful weather again yesterday and as you say, lights on in the house to see what we are doing.  That was a nice surprise that friend from the church bringing you a slice of the cake which had been to celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary and see that your niece also visited on Sunday.  Rita, perhaps you should make an appointment to see your doctor, because none of the antibiotics seem to be working for you and to avoid that long wait on the telephone, could you email the surgery, explain about the difficulty of using the phone and request an appointment to be emailed back to you?  

I must really get a move on now to get out in time for the appointment and hope you all have a good day.

Last edited by Pauline on Tue May 25, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Eviffi21 Pauline can see you are winning with the kitchen. Good hair all done too.....hope all goes well at the optician and no problems with the shopping

Jean do hope all is going fine for you at the moment and you are getting much needed help

Rita that was nice having a visit from a friend in Church with a nice piece of cake also a nice visit from your niece. Yes maybe wise to see your Doctor again and try another remedy which will work for you

Barbara that is good news for Andrew in getting the vaccination. Good David got out for some shopping. Yes not like May at all so I am hoping weather will improve to get my bedding plants potted on. Well done you with your puzzles and crosswords........hope you win.

Well I have done nothing but cough and it is so tiring. i did have a good nights sleep but still feeling tired so will have a lazy day and see if I can shift this cold .Weather still miserable so no potting on today. Wishing you all a good day
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue May 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Omstm111  Back again ladies.  Home from the opticians and the shopping and pleased to say that no new glasses needed this year, which I am happy about as have enough to pay out for at the moment.  Another load of recycling shifted for me today and got the bin full again with another 4 sacks of cardboard, plus other paper and plastic containers from indoors, so that is ready for collection again in two weeks and now down to about two and a half sacks of the cardboard.  

Dian so sorry to read that the cold has developed so badly and you now have a continual cought, which is so tiring and wearying.  Make the most of a lazy day today and hope the cold shifts and the miserable weather disappears and you can get on with the planting out tomorrow.

Got another email from Jean and you can read this below.  I have told Jean that from now on until next Tuesday when I get back from Rugby, I am lacking time because must shift myself to get everything completed for the flooring and get the items ready to go away, which might be either Thursday late afternoon or Friday morning and won't be back until Tuesday, so possibly Jean might find the time to let you know on here how things are for her and David and not good news at the moment as you can see:-

"Hi Pauline

Paul did a good job yesterday and the clearing up will take a day or two - years ago it would all have been done by then.

Then this morning David had a phone call and was told he had kidney disease, news to him, so more stress. I am gobsmacked at the moment and a bit down, as he was getting better. Had to go for the endoscopy after all.

love Jean"
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had early sunshine today but then the rain arrived later this morning. It lasted quite a while and then stopped and hasn't come back so far, thank goodness. It's been cloudy since then and with a slight breeze.

David did the essential shopping early this morning, while the sun was shining, thankfully. He then did some tidying up in our garden, and it's all looking good, apart from our poor lilac tree, with the blossom now going brown. I don't know if that would've happened anyway or whether it's as a result of the damage done by the strong winds a few days ago. Andrew has had another quiet day. It's his birthday tomorrow and so we'll probably celebrate by having a nice evening meal and a bottle of wine, as we did for our wedding anniversary last week. Hopefully by this time next year the celebrations can go back to normal! I went for a walk this afternoon and collected my prescriptions from the pharmacy. I spent some time on my computer this morning and again this afternoon, after watching a programme on catch up on the TV.

Rita, you had hailstones yesterday. You've had to have your lights on in the house as it's so dark outside. You haven't been out today, but a friend from church called with a piece of cake from their Golden Wedding. That was very kind of her! It was nice to see her although briefly as she was taking cake to others too and dashing between downpours. Your niece came yesterday. She's still waiting for news from her hospital tests. The antibiotics aren't working for you, and so you'll have to get in touch with your GP again. I agree with you about the carry on these days, waiting in a telephone queue for half an hour to get through! As I recall, we have Jeremy Hunt to thank for that, as he changed the rules while Health Secretary! It's made worse at our surgery by the long and involved recorded message about Covid that you have to listen to before you can get through, in addition to the usual message about "Press 1 for this, and press 2 for something else".

No, I don't do Sudoku puzzles. I did try them for a while but couldn't make any progress. I much prefer word puzzles.

Pauline, yesterday you got your hair permed and it's turned out well. You cut a lot off, but can still get it up in the flexicomb if you want. You also managed to find room for three of your chairs in the porch after cleaning that and the lower hall, and found a few more things to clear. You got one lot of washing done and a bit more painting - some of the second coat of white was needed on the window wall. You fitted in several jobs and were surprised you managed to get through it all. This morning you had to get a move on because the opticians' appointment was at 10.30 and you wanted to do the shopping after that, and so thought you had better post on here before going out. You'd already dealt with the emails, surveys, petitions, etc.

Dian, I'm sorry to hear that you've done nothing but cough. I know how tiring it is. You did have a good nights sleep but you're still feeling tired and so have had a lazy day to see if you can shift the cold. I do hope you feel better soon. Your weather is still miserable and so you couldn't do any potting on today.

My prayers and thoughts are still with Jean and David and I hope that they're getting the help they need.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue May 25, 2021 5:08 pm
Added by Pauline:

You're back home from the opticians and the shopping and you're pleased to say that no new glasses are needed this year, which you're happy about as yo have enough to pay out for at the moment. Another load of recycling was shifted by you today and you got the bin full again with another 4 sacks of cardboard, plus other paper and plastic containers from indoors, and so that is ready for collection again in two weeks and it's now down to about two and a half sacks of the cardboard.

Thank you for posting the latest message from Jean and I'm sorry to hear that David has now been told that he has kidney disease. I shall continue with the prayers for them both.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Gmever11    Hello Ladies.
After I got home yesterday the rest of my day was dealing with paperwork and making sure the end of the month finanaces were sorted, like putting some savings in another account (which thankfully I could do as there were no new glasses to pay out for) and getting the online bills for this week paid a couple of days early.  Also bearing in mind the small corner here in the lounge I have been working in at the computer desk, paperwork was piling up and I just had to sort that and shred a lot of things that were no longer needed, so my tiny corner is now clearer.  Today I have finished the emails, petitions, surveys, etc., and after this post I am going to sort out the floor next - there are still a couple of places at the kitchen end that need a bit of levelling, so will get that done and then sand those patches when they are dry, possibly get in a little bit more painting and then continue with getting things together for the break away.  I did start gathering up a few things yesterday in advance and got any necessary washing done.

Barbara, Birthday wishes to Andrew and expect you will enjoy the celebration today the same as you did for your wedding anniversary last week, with a nice meal and a bottle of wine.  One of our former members, Joan (Jojo) who used to post on here regularly and who died so suddenly and unexpectedly, spoke about their lilac tree and damage caused to that and did say it took a couple of years for it to recover and start blooming again, so think it might be a case of waiting for yours to recover - such a shame it was damaged at the time when they start to look their best.

Sorry this is so brief this morning, but lots to fit in today and expect you will all post later in the day and do hope that things are going well for you all - special thoughts to Jean and for David and hope she has the time to post on here while I am away and let you know how things are going.  I answered your email yesterday Rita and at least you were feeling that much better.

Coffee first and then tackle that floor.  
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed May 26, 2021 12:39 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Fvlifi28 Pauline that is good you have caught up with your paperwork ect which makes us feel so much better .Wish I was so organised .

Barbara do hope the rain has stayed away That was good David managed the shopping while there was no rain .He was also busy in the garden and it is all looking a treat except for your lilac tree so do hope it recovers. My best wishes to Andrew and hope he has a nice day. you enjoyed a walk and also collected your prescriptions. Later you were busy on computer

Jean do hope your having a good day

Rita also hope your day is going well

Wish I could say I had a good morning but it was all go. I had a terrible night with coughing the whole night.Phoned daughter and she got her husband to take me for a covid test .........in the meantime my son had popped in and could smell gas He thought I had not turned gas off properly but was not sure. Afraid I have no sense of smell to be on the safe side gas board was called out and it was all checked out.  Grrrrrr now off for something to eat
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed May 26, 2021 8:01 pm
Hello.  

Barbara I hope you enjoyed a birthday celebration for Andrew, did you all eat at home, it is difficult knowing where to go for a good meal now.

Pauline, are you all ready now for your  well needed break.  I forget, is Rachel picking you up or will you go on the bus. Have a happy time.

Dian, it is a worry losing your sense of smell, I lost mine when they operated on my ear (all connected)  .  It was the right thing to do getting the gas people out to check, all well now.   How is your cough? Is it easing?

Jean, I am glad you have  caring family to support you and David.

I have no news of anything as have not seen anyone or been outside except to put washing on the line.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am
[size=24]Morning All......
site playing up this morning cannot get Giff on

Pauline enjoy your break with family as you have been working so hard non stop.

Barbara I am sure you will all be busy as usual. Hope weather has improved for you
[size=24]
Rita  good you got your washing out to dry as makes them smell so nice

[b]Jean do hope you are all feeling a bit better
[size=24][size=24][b]
Well I had a good nights sleep with out any coughing so pleased with that. Now off to shower then wash and set hair
[/size][/b][/size][/b][/size][/size] as off to caravan till Sunday tomorrow
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu May 27, 2021 12:07 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 A1gmpi10    Hi Ladies.  This is the last post from me until I get back on Tuesday and then might not have the time to post that day as got to make sure all is ready for flooring to go down on Wednesday, but will certainly be posting then, because I suppose I will be out of the way tucked in my little works corner that I have at the moment.  With regard to my phone, I can get onto the internet, but I never trust security on the phones like I do with the computer, which I know I have well protected, so avoid posting when I am not at home   Also Stephen and Rachel's computers are always busy with work related items, so don't bother to borrow those.

Yesterday got the rest of the patches in the floor smoothed over and completed the first coat of white on the side window wall and turning the corner to the bifold doors, then got a second coat of the white in the recess of the window, put the blind back and that is finished (definitely decided that the dining room end is staying white) and as my computer desk matches the cupboards that are going back in there, then that will be shifted into that room and the bar will stay in the lounge, so prefer it brighter that end of the room. Got the washing done and there is a small amount of ironing to be done this morning, plus yesterday got all that I needed to take with me sorted and packing that this morning, so almost ready for Rachel to pick me up this afternoon. Already this morning completed the emails, petitons, surveys, etc., and after posting on here I have got the indoor plants to water and they will have to last out until I am home.

Dian, you certainly have got trouble on here this morning, plus the trouble you had with your continual coughing and see your son-i-l took you for a Covid test after you spoke to your daughter about the way you were feeling (and I am assuming that went ok), then your son arriving and thought he could smell gas and always best to get that checked out, bearing in mind that you were really stuffed up with the cold and couldn't smell anything. Seems as though everything was okay there after Gasboard checked.  Hope you are feeling much better this morning and can enjoy that break away at the weekend when you are all off to the caravan.

Was away for about half an hour with a couple of phone calls coming in - this time genuine ones (no scams for a while now, so perhaps putting the answer phone to switch directly on seems to have worked).

Rita, yes Rachel picks me up now and brings me home, or Stephen does.  I used to go up there on the bus and mostly back again and they would meet me in Rugby at the bus stop, but with the lockdown, although I was allowed to join them in the family bubble up there, going on the bus was then not possible and to be honest I don't think they will let me do that in future.  They were both able to come out of their area because of being key workers, so it was okay for me to get there during the lockdown.  Hope you got the washing dry that you put out on the line.  At least when I get back I will have something different to post about and so looking forward to that flooring being done and then getting my home back again - must admit I am a bit fed up with camping out in my own home and being little Jack Horner, sat in a corner  Rolling Eyes.

Barbara, expect you all enjoyed celebrating Andrew's birthday yesterday.

Hope Jean manages to find the time to post directly to you ladies while I am away, but she does have quite a bit to cope with at the moment and yesterday had to sort out a blood test they wanted David to get to the hospital for - how many times do they have to be told that he isn't mobile enough to do that????????

Have a good day and hope it is free of any further problems for you all and the weekend goes well, plus do hope the weather is going to be better for this Bank Holiday weekend.  
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu May 27, 2021 2:11 pm
Pauline enjoy your break ......you certainly deserve it........just popped in to say test was clear so I was pleased with that

Jean do hope you are managing and do hope you get help. I will leave tomorrow for the caravan so do hope all have a good weekend. Now off to hang out a small washing as quite a pleasant day
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu May 27, 2021 5:02 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We're having lovely sunshine here today, which is a welcome change from all the heavy rain and strong winds that we've had in recent days. The sky has clouded over now but the sunshine was very pleasant until just now.

David did the essential shopping early this morning and went to the terrain for a while this afternoon to practise his shooting. Andrew is still enjoying his time off work (he usually takes his birthday week off). He went into Croydon this afternoon to spend some birthday money sent to him by a relative. I went for a walk this afternoon and called in at our bank and a shop afterwards. I also worked on my computer before and after going out.

Pauline, after you got home on Tuesday, the rest of your day was dealing with paperwork and making sure the end of the month finances were sorted, like putting some savings in another account (which thankfully you could do as there were no new glasses to pay out for) and getting the online bills for this week paid a couple of days early. Also bearing in mind the small corner in your lounge you've been working in at the computer desk, paperwork was piling up and you just had to sort that and shred a lot of things that were no longer needed, and so your tiny corner is now clearer. Yesterday you finished the emails, petitions, surveys, etc., and after this post you sorted out the floor next. There are still a couple of places at the kitchen end that need a bit of levelling, and so you'll get that done and then sand those patches when they are dry, possibly get in a little bit more painting and then continue with getting things together for the break away. You did start gathering up a few things on Tuesday in advance and got any necessary washing done.

Today's was the last post from you until you get back on Tuesday and you might not have the time to post that day as you've got to make sure all is ready for the flooring to go down on Wednesday, but you'll certainly be posting then, because you suppose you'll be out of the way tucked in your little works corner that you have at the moment. With regard to your phone, you can get onto the internet, but you never trust security on the phones like you do with the computer, which you know you have well protected, and so avoid posting when not at home. Also, Stephen and Rachel's computers are always busy with work related items, and so you don't borrow those.

Yesterday, you got the rest of the patches in the floor smoothed over and completed the first coat of white on the side window wall and turning the corner to the bifold doors, and then got a second coat of the white in the recess of the window, put the blind back and that is finished (you've definitely decided that the dining room end is staying white) and as your computer desk matches the cupboards that are going back in there, then that will be shifted into that room and the bar will stay in the lounge, and so you prefer it brighter that end of the room. You got the washing done and there is a small amount of ironing still to be done, plus yesterday you got all that you needed to take with you sorted and were packing that this morning, and so you're almost ready for Rachel to pick you up this afternoon. Already this morning you completed the emails, petitions, surveys, etc., and after posting on here you've got the indoor plants to water and they will have to last out until you're home again. Have a good break!

Dian, yesterday you wished you could say you had a good morning but it was all go. You had a terrible night with coughing the whole night. You phoned your daughter and she got her husband to take you for a covid test. In the meantime your son had popped in and could smell gas. He thought you hadn't turned the gas off properly but wasn't sure. You have no sense of smell and so to be on the safe side, the gas board was called out and it was all checked out. Last night, you had a good night's sleep without any coughing and so you're pleased with that. After posting, you went off to shower and then wash and set your hair, as you're off to the caravan till Sunday tomorrow. Have a lovely time! By the way, thanks for popping in to tell us that the test was clear!

Rita, we did enjoy the birthday celebration for Andrew, thanks, and did all eat at home. He'll have his first Covid jab this coming Sunday and so we thought it safer for him not to eat in a restaurant yet, although he has already eaten in restaurants twice with friends!

I hope that Jean and David are being able to sort out their problems with David's medical issues. I'm thinking of you both and saying some prayers.

Thanks to everyone for your kind birthday wishes for Andrew.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Fri May 28, 2021 5:25 pm
Hello  Barbara, I think you and I and Jean are at home this weekend, as Pauline and Dian are away, I hope weather is good for them.

Jean, if you are looking in I understand what a worrying difficult time you are having, and think of you.

Barbara, I see you got out to do a bit of shopping and had a walk. Nice you having Andrew about at home a bit as not working so much.   As you know I live alone, like so many others and, of course, it does get lonely, but in these days in lockdown one dare not even get on the bus to  town , as Bedford is high on infection rates for Covid virus.   Yesterday I went on special pensioners bus, only ten of us, to Sainsburys and got stocked up, enjoyed my cream cakes when I got home, but have not seen or spoken to anyone since.  This afternoon I managed to do a little bit of weeding in the front garden, not a lot, just a bit in the middle and edges and put some weed killer on persistent weeds which grow in the gravel,  no lawn now as I cannot keep it right now.

I hope to catch up with my daughter on computer chat maybe late tonight. She and her husband live in a place called Hastings in Ontario, Canada.  She was a radiographer living in London and her husband worked for gas board then they emigrated to Canada and were both working there, then Leigh retired and Richard had heart problems so also retired and is still waiting to be admitted to hospitsl for a heart operation, but, of course, with the Virus the hospitals are too busy. Anxious times for everybody.   I have been to Canada several times, it is beautiful but very long, very cold winters there, sadly now, at my age, 92 and with present travel situations, I doubt that we will ever meet again, but one must be very thankful for the internet as we can chat and actually see one another and she can take me with her and show me round her garden, seeing how quickly everything grows after a hard winter.  Also can see just what they are going to have for dinner, peep into oven etc. Technology is wonderful.  I recall having to get a neighbour to sit with my son while I ran along the street to the telephone kiosk to call for the Doctor,   Haha how times have changed.

My son lives  in this village, they have a beautiful house and garden, but his wife wants to move again, still in same area as their daughter lives with them and works in office hospital at Bedford.  He comes here on a weekend, and is on call if I need him.  His mother in law lives in same village but she  is housebound, but has adult grandson living with her.  It will be great if and when visiting restrictions are lifted and we can all get together again.

I am wondering what to have to eat, fridge and freezer full, haha how fortunate to have to make a choice eh!

So Barbara I do not think I will come on here anymore this weekend, as not going out, don't expect to see anyone except my son, so nothing at all to write about.   It was sunny this morning but very dull now. I feel better than I was, had very bad cystitis, but am doing well for an old woman.     Cheerio for now. Take care.
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Fri May 28, 2021 5:34 pm
Just read back after posting and I see it put Girl instead of the word. That In front of Andrew and spelt Dian as Fion and other mistakes which I am sure you will guess and work out right. I am one- fingered on iPad. Rita
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sat May 29, 2021 10:57 am
Hi everyone. finally got in here. For some reason the group is not being sent to me....must be me.

Well as you know we have a rough time, starting with David not being able to get off the garden chair, grandson came and could not do it. ambulance called. they were
lovely and are getting someone to monitor him. the first one came in and sent him straight back to hospital, where he had 7 ECGs.....

Then sent home and these people came everyday for a week. to be told you have heart failure when you have never been told was a shock, also being told you have
kidney disease.....to this end he is going to have that thing up his rear on Thursday next....before that have to get a covid test on Bank holiday Monday, 20 miles there and back.  Surely the  docs. could have done it.

Anyway thanking everyone for their kind wishes. there was no mention of parathyroid.....

Rita glad you had a trip out on the sainsburys bus at least you saw people;. hope Pauline is having a good holiday, see Dian has been shopping.seemed to have
missed out on you Barbara, wishing you all a good Bank holiday Monday, at least we can complain then about the heat.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sat May 29, 2021 3:46 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We're having lovely weather here today, with gorgeous warm sunshine, a light breeze and no rain! Yesterday's weather was warm and with a light breeze but it was cloudy all day, which isn't so pleasant for me. Sometimes I get a bad headache on warm cloudy days. Luckily, that didn't happen yesterday.

David did the essential shopping this morning and has gone to the terrain this afternoon to play in the club session. As usual, Andrew and I have given him his instructions, which are for him to win all his games! Of course, he usually does! Andrew has gone into Croydon this afternoon to buy some clothing items. I've been busy on my computer this morning and again this afternoon. I've also completed the cryptic crossword. I seem to do so much better with the Saturday crossword than with the weekday ones. I was going to go for a walk after lunch but my knee is playing me up, being very painful and stiff. I keep walking around the house to try and get it to ease up.

Rita, yes, I hope everyone is having lovely weather, as I am here. It's long overdue! Andrew is enjoying his week off work. He usually takes his birthday week as holiday, not that we've been able to do much this year (or last) due to Covid, but it certainly is good having him about, and not just "stuck" in our office upstairs for most of the day! It's a pity that where you live the infection rates are very high and so you dare not go into town by bus. I hope that once a larger number of people have had 2 doses of the vaccine, the infection rates will go down so that we can all get back to some kind of normality. It's good that you can go on a special pensioners bus once a week to Sainsbury's. That sounds like a really good service, especially as the driver takes your shopping right to your front door. I'm glad you enjoyed your cream cakes on arriving home! Well done on doing a little bit of weeding in your front garden yesterday, not a lot, just a bit in the middle and edges, and put some weed killer on persistent weeds which grow in the gravel. You don't have a lawn now as you can't keep it right now. You hoped to catch up with your daughter on computer chat maybe later that night. She and her husband live in a place called Hastings in Ontario, Canada. She was a radiographer living in London and her husband worked for the gas board and then they emigrated to Canada and were both working there when Leigh retired. Richard had heart problems and so he also retired and is still waiting to be admitted to hospital for a heart operation, but, of course, with the Virus the hospitals are too busy. These certainly are anxious times for everybody. You've been to Canada several times. It's beautiful but I don't think I'd like the very long, very cold winters there. It's good to have the internet so that you can chat and actually see one another, and she can take you with her and show you round her garden, seeing how quickly everything grows after a hard winter. Also you can see just what they are going to have for dinner, and peep into her oven etc. Technology is wonderful. Times certainly have changed! Your son lives in the same village as you. They have a beautiful house and garden, but his wife wants to move again, still in the same area as their daughter lives with them and works in an office in the hospital at Bedford. Your son comes to see you on a weekend, and is on call if you need him. His mother in law lives in the same village. She's housebound, but has an adult grandson living with her. Let's hope it won't be long before visiting restrictions are lifted so that you can all get together again.

Jean, I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time, starting with David not being able to get off the garden chair. Your grandson came but couldn't help him. An ambulance was called and they were
lovely and are getting someone to monitor him. The first one came in and sent him straight back to hospital, where he had 7 ECGs. Poor David! Then he was sent home and these people came every day for a week. To be told you have heart failure when you have never been told before was a shock, and also being told you have kidney disease too. To this end he is going to have that thing up his rear on Thursday next. Please wish him well from me. Before that, he has to have a covid test on Bank Holiday Monday. It's 20 miles there and back. I do agree that the docs. could have done it. There was no mention of parathyroid. Thanks for wishing us all a good Bank Holiday Monday. As you said, at least we can complain then about the heat!

I hope that Pauline and Dian are enjoying their breaks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum