Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Hello Everyone - Page 3 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Flower31 Pauline great bar now finished and it is looking so smart See bedding all done another chore out the way. Will do mine very soon. Great Stephen,s garage nearly finished too.My what a lovely snap yesterday morning Yes still very cold and miserable here
Jean so annoying when post disappears into space .Good to hear Carol got out. Yes we are all missing the sun
Rita hope your day has gone along nicely and you are starting to feel a bit better
Barbara great you now have had the vaccine .That is great David will get his soon. Good David got out to do some shopping .Your sister will miss her phone so hope she manages to get it repaired. Good you can phone her husband should you need to get in touch .Hoping spring is just round the corner and we can see the back of the ice and snow.....
Well another cold morning but we now have some light rain and snow slowly melting so do hope it keeps getting warmer to be rid of the ice.I did a small washing but will not be going outside. Pleased got hair trimmed so now looking a bit better.It was beginning to look like a scarecrows Embarassed
Trusting you are all having a good day
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:10 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

There was still a lot of ice around first thing this morning, including all over Andrew's car, but by lunchtime, it had nearly all gone. Thank goodness for that! David went out early to buy a newspaper, and, off and on, has been upstairs in our loft playing with his trains. Andrew has had a lazy day and has spent quite a bit of time, binge watching a programme on the TV about renovating classic cars. Even I actually find it quite interesting! He's just gone out to give his car the once-over, not that he'll be going anywhere today. This morning, I watched a Mass online. Faith services are now allowed under Covid, with social distancing measures, but the problem for me is that the Covid rules state that the church toilet must be kept locked at all times! Also, all doors must be kept open for as long as Masses are in progress! I didn't feel like going out today, but took a walk round to Sainsbury's in Addiscombe (our local shopping centre). It wasn't as cold out as I'd thought it would be, but all the same, I was glad to get back home afterwards! I think that being stuck indoors while we had the snow, had made me feel a bit nervous about going out. Hopefully, now that I've done it, I'll feel a lot better next time. I have 2 medical appointments coming up this week. The first, a chiropody appointment, is on Wednesday in Central Croydon, a short tram ride away. The second, an eye appointment, is on Friday at our local hospital, and is a slightly longer bus ride away. The eye appointment was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, and it's only now that the clinic is clear enough to provide outpatient appointments.

Pauline, that's a beautiful gif for St Valentine's Day that you've posted. Thank you. You'll have been pleased to have got the bar finished, as well as stripping the bed, putting the washing in the machine, and putting the bird food out. The photo you took did look a bit ominous, with the red sky in the morning, but the weather didn't turn out as badly as it might've been, although it was very cold despite the temperature apparently being one degree above freezing. Our forecast was also for rain later. The sky is changing and so we might get the rain too.

I've had another email from my sister today and she's had no luck with contacting the phone provider. She'll try again tomorrow.

I'm glad that everyone in here has now had their first vaccine jab. I must say that the government is making a splendid job of the vaccine rollout. The Fairfield Halls was always a worthwhile entertainment venue but unfortunately Croydon has fallen on hard times, partly to do with Covid and partly because our local council has made some very bad decisions over the years and is now bankrupt! The Fairfield was one of the casualties of the bad management. After being closed for a very long time, refurbished at great expense and then reopened last year, it's now closed permanently; hence it being available as a vaccine centre. We're hoping this won't be the end of the Fairfield Halls and that it'll have a new lease of life when hopefully the economy of our country is in a better state.

I don't remember a group called Link 50. When I joined Shiny Hut, I became a member of Joan's group and so met several of you. It was a shame when Shiny Hut closed but I met up with most of you again in Joan's group in Groupbox. This one is a very good group to be in and it's good that it's a "secret" one.

I know what you mean about finding it difficult to stick to a diet during lockdown. We were all eating more chocolate than was good for us, and with not enough exercise, but thankfully we're all a bit more sensible about it now.

Jean, it's a pity that your post yesterday got lost in space. I think most of us have experienced that at one time or another and it's so annoying! So far today you've stayed in as the weather is so cold. Has Coco been itching to get out for a walk? I know how much she enjoys it. It's good that Carol was able to get out today, as it wasn't as windy in Hatfield.

Dian, I'm definitely looking forward to spring too, and not just for some warmer weather. I do so love it when the spring flowers make an appearance. It does brighten the place up a lot! You've done a small wash today but won't be going outside. I think we all feel a lot better when we've had our hair done. It gives a real boost! I'll be so glad when the hairdressers can open up again!

Stay safe and well and warm, everyone!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:50 pm
Its good that you are all keeping busy even though still restricted, we are used to it now, almost normal.  My son popped round this afternoon, I've been thinking of getting a different mobile phone, only for occasional use, but thought would be nice if I had one with a keyboard type on instead of abc. Keys. However  we were looking at so many on line and I have decided to wait and use up all the credit I have on my present tiny phone and then think again, as I do not need one with Internet on, just need it for phoning/ texting.

I made a few fairy cakes but did not make cream icing  to go on them, Lol! My way of trying  to cut calories.

Its still very cold,   But daughter said it was minus 15 deg daytime in Canada. Her dog didn't like having to wear his boots and have coat on.

I am feeling better today, just hope it lasts as its over three months since I first saw Doctor.

Dian,, great having your hair trimmed, I'm sure you will feel lighter altogether.  .did you get out today?

Barbara, you did well to venture out in the cold. You mention not being able to get to Church, perhaps they have their services all on computer, our Village churches do.

Jean, do you keep in touch with your friend in Canada on the Computer, as I do with my daughter.   Have you been out for a walk with you dog?

Pauline, I see you've been on the phone keeping in touch with  everyone, you must miss seeing them all.  Muriel phoned me, she is anxious waiting for more results from hospital for date to go for more tests, she is still losing weight.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Ndapod10  Hi Everyone.  A very miserable Monday morning with regard to the weather - the rain did arrive yesterday and it is still here this morning, but at least the temperatures are up.

Finally got the bar finished (with that minor alteration), back in place and everything back in it, bed did get made and hair got washed, but didn't bother to set it and will do that later today.  The bed clothes that I washed dried so quickly on the rads that they went straight back on the bed - no ironing needed as it is one of those sets that dries without many creases, so that saved the ironing pile from getting any higher.  First job this morning is get a lot of the tools back in the cupboard and after catching up with emails, I will cook a couple of banana breads as I have 4 bananas going nicely black ready for that and happened to mention on the phone to Stephen and Rachel on Saturday about that and they said yes please, so better get them done as she possibly has laptop deliveries to make in this area and will call in tomorrow.

Jean, I see you too lost a post yesterday.  Maria is 5 years younger than me and seeing as I will be 79 in March, that makes it her 74th birthday last week.  Glad to read that where Carol lives in Hatfield it wasn't so windy and she was off for a walk yesterday - not good enough for that in this area for us and yes, we did get the threatened rain and it is still here this morning, so doesn't look as though Coco will get her walk today.

Dian that photo I took yesterday morning, said it all with the red sky in the morning warning and all that beautiful sunrise disappeared in minutes and as the rain arrived the plants are now looking bedraggled instead of frozen solid, but I suppose the rise in the temperature is better than nothing.  I see it was still very cold and miserable your way and you have the rain too.  You too got some washing done, but like mine, is drying indoors and that was good getting your hair trimmed by your daughter and expect you were happy with that.  Well as you can see from above I did wash mine and will trim a bit off before I set it today - definitely do look like Worzel Gummidge at the moment.

Barbara I see that most of the ice has gone in your area, which is a good thing and sounds as though it was a nice restful Sunday in your house, David having been out to get his newspaper and then off to spend time with the train set, Andrew binge watching a tv programme about renovating classic cars, which you liked too.  That is quite a problem having to keep church toilets closed, although services are allowed to take place with all the safety measures in place, so you watched one of the services on t v. I think with these prolonged stays indoors, you can lose confidence in going out, but see you walked to your local Sainsburys, but was pleased to get home.  Hope your two appointments for chiropdy and at the opticians go well.  I have managed to get a dental appointment at last for next month and should also have my eyes checked in that month.  

Thanks for the remarks about the gif I put on here yesterday - today's one I think shows how I feel about this rainy Monday morning.  I used to deal with Photobucket, but have stopped using them now, as they got too expensive and demanding, but I still have a lot of designs stored on my computer, plus photos of my own and if I want something different I now look at Google image designs and then I use a site (and have put the link to that below) where I can add wording with different colour and size fonts - have used that site for many years and it is safe to use and then a lot of the gifs I make I then store on my own computer - which does remind me that I should get a lot of them transferred to my external hard drive to stop the pc from getting too overloaded.  Here is the link:- https://www.online-image-editor.com/.

Still no luck for your sister with regard to contacting the company with regard to her non-charging phone and hope she can get that sorted soon.  Yes, I think too that the vaccine roll out is going so well and think it sensible that a lot of the restrictions still be kept in place and not rush into anything.  I personally would love to see the charity shops open again - because I have loads of items for them and also it would be good if I could go to the Wren showroom, but think it is only sensible to be patient and wait.  That is sad news about the Fairfield Halls and hope that at some point in the future it will get back to better times.  We have certainly been in many different groups over the years, but luckily holding on in there and keeping together still - small in numbers, but large in quality.  True, too many luxury goodies over Christmas and very hard to diet in cold winter weather, when we all like a warming meal, but have started off strictly this morning with a light breakfast (and then I am going to cook cakes later  Rolling Eyes, but at least one of them will be given to Rachel tomorrow).

Rita I see you and Peter had a good look at phones on line yesterday, but probably a good idea to keep your present one and use up the credit on that, although perhaps it might be a good thing to wait until those stores open again and you can see the models they have on sale and talk to the staff.  As I said, I found our local Tescos so helpful and have been with them now for a year and am very happy with their network and the phone, plus their charges are so reasonable - I was so lucky that I got that sorted before the first lockdown last year..  Cake cooking for you yesterday - hard to resist, but at least you didn't put any icing on them  Wink.  I shouldn't cook those banana breads today, but don't like seeing food items going to waste - well that is my excuse!!  I see that Leigh's dog doesn't like having to wear his boots or coat in the cold weather in Canada, but sensible for Leigh to put them on him in their temperatures.  I do hope that improvement lasts, now that you have taken the last of the medication and good to read that you were feeling that much better yesterday.  I am glad that I can keep in touch with everyone with the phone calls and internet, but of course, we are all missing seeing Aimie, Sean and the boys (my two gt. grandsons), but just got to be sensible about it all.  It will be absolutely lovely when I can get them all here for a family get-together and meal, once again.  Tomorrow when Rachel looks in she said I have to have the plan and dates for our birthdays in March - hers is on 1st and mine on 6th and be up in Rugby in the family bubble tor those.  That certainly isn't good news from your friend  Muriel, with her still losing weight and anxiously waiting for the results of hospital tests and further appointments.

Must away now ladies and first, as it has just stopped raining, put some bird food down in the garden and then tackle the baking.  Wishing all of you a good start to the week xx.

Last edited by Pauline on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:55 am
the sun is shining and it is not so cold. will probably have to put something cooler on. been for the walk with Coco, but there are many leaves lying around which makes
it slippery.
Rita I keep in touch with my friends in Canada, by phone , email and letter. one of them is writing loads of letters at the moment. I got one on the 2nd February and then
the one she sent on the 24th January arrived. did you go to the falls when you were there? Do not see the Maid of the Mist advertisement like we used to.
thank you for the inform about Maria Pauline.
Barbara I use to be on Happy Talk, with you and another lady Pat, who sadly died from a brain tumour.  lovely lady she had three daughters and one son.should have said with Rita!!
we are having our valentines presents today, via Tesco delivery, some maltesers for me and a bar of choc. for David.
hope you had another good shop Dian
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:54 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 1i6fjy34 Yipee snow all gone though still chilly and now got rain
Pauline good your bar now all finished. Great your bedding all dried and back on with no ironing Smile Your banana bread does sound tasty and a good way of using up black ones. Yes we are all feeling isolated from friends and family so lets hope the vaccine gets us back to normality very soon
Barbara at least David has a nice hobby he enjoys indoors. That was good you enjoyed Andrews programme too. Hopefully will not be too long till you get back to your church in safety once again. Think we are all so fed up with being housebound so hopefully not too long till we all can get back to some normality
Jean hope you enjoyed your Valentine gift.....I,m sure you did Yes still need to watch those slippy leaves as so dangerous
Rita so pleased you are feeling a lot better Long may it continue. Think its wise till lockdown gone before you get a new phone as Pauline says
Just catching up on housework and got some windows opened wide now must go and close them when I remember. Still raining......better than snow
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:13 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

It rained here first thing this morning and went on for a short while but since then, we've had lovely warm sunshine with just a gentle breeze. I don't like the look of the weather for tomorrow, though! It's forecast to rain all day!

David did some essential shopping this morning but waited a while for the rain to stop. He prefers to go out very early before the shops get too busy, especially as a lot of people don't seem to know the meaning of social distancing! He was pleased to receive his NHS letter this morning, inviting him to go for his first Covid jab. He rang our surgery and a kind receptionist arranged it for him, and at The Fairfield Halls where I had mine done. It's so nice and convenient for us to get to on the tram, although he'll probably walk in. Andrew has been working hard today, upstairs in our office, and only came downstairs to make and eat his lunch before going back upstairs to resume his work. He's working longer hours now than when he was in the office. I suppose it's harder to switch off when you work from home. I went for a walk this afternoon in the lovely warm sunshine and did some shopping before going back home again. Once I've got used to being out of the house, I'll be going for slightly longer walks again.

Rita, I think, as others have said, that you might be better to wait until the lockdown is finished so that you can go to a mobile phone shop to see what they have on offer. I've tried going on line to try and choose a new phone but think I'll be better being able to see before I buy. I see you made some fairy cakes but didn't put any icing on them. I think I'd prefer to have them with the icing on, lol, as I have a very sweet tooth! I'm glad you're feeling better now and I hope that continues. As with a lot of churches, the one I go to has one Mass every Sunday online, and also on other days for special occasions. It's not the same, obviously, but is better than nothing.

Pauline, it's good you finished the bar and got everything else done that you needed to do. I like the sound of the banana breads and no doubt Stephen and Rachel will enjoy them too. I think it's quite a problem for a lot of people, having to keep the church toilets closed, especially as there are a lot of young families going into the church! Although I enjoyed my walk out this afternoon, once again I was pleased to get back home. You're right that it can make you lose your confidence quite quickly when you have to stay indoors for several days. I received a letter from our local hospital this morning, confirming my appointment on Friday and also a text from the chiropodist reminding me of my appointment with them on Wednesday. I've received an email from the dentist, reminding me that it's been a long time since my last appointment but they seem to have forgotten that they cancelled 2 of the appointment following the first lockdown. I too will be glad when the charity shops are allowed to reopen, as I have some donations here that I hope they'll be glad of. They've certainly suffered financially during the past year, as they rely on their shops quite a bit. As you've said, we're small in numbers in here but large in quality. We've all known each other for a long time.

Jean, I expect you and Coco enjoyed your walk out today but you had to avoid slipping on the wet leaves. Thankfully, ours have now gone but there are still berries on the pavements from the trees outside our houses. They can make such a mess if they get on our shoes! Yes, I don't remember a site called Happy Talk, although I did know you on Joan's site and the one we've just left which had Craig and Vork on there too. I hope you and David enjoyed your Valentine's Day presents. I know I would've done!

Dian, you'll be so glad that your snow has now all gone! I agree that we're all feeling isolated from our family and friends. It'll be a year next month since I saw my sister in person, although we have had video chats a few times, but it's not the same. We're all longing for the day when we can get back to normal. You've caught up on some housework and have to remember to close all the windows!

Stay safe and well, everyone!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Hi I have just looked in to say Hello. , it's been sunny so got sheet and washing fairly dry, just enough to get it ironed and on clothes horse to air.
I am still not well bladder wise, this third lot of anti biotics has not cured it. . Reading on here I see how the weather varies for each of us, even
When not far away. It's been brilliant sun thi cold here today, but I've only been as far as the clothes line
I hope you all have a good week ahead and can maybe get out for a while.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:23 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Dv2jcd10  Hello Ladies,  I will be back here as soon as I can to post and read your messages, but at the moment am quickly finishing off some jobs because Rachel will be here about midday and I also received a phone call from Trevor late afternoon yesterday.  

He has spent the last two nights at Maria's and she has weakened so much that he called for the ambulance.  The paramedic knowing the treatment Maria is going through and for what, actually wanted to take her straight to Cynthia Spencer Hospice, but she wanted to go to the hospital and think she needs to hear from the doctor that the treatment isn't helping and they should stop it.  Apparently the staff have already spoken to her about end of life and whether she would want resuscitation and she has said no, but think she wants to hang on until Alex is back in the country which she has indicated might be next week, but that isn't going to be much help because then she will have to stay in one of the quarantine hotels for several days and that would mean prolonging the distress that Maria is in.  

Trevor is going to phone me to let me know what is going on (and I know with regard to end of life - other than the virus - they were allowing visitors to see Gennie) and Maria actually mentioned this to Trevor, so he is going to find out about this and whether they are moving her to Cynthia Spencer Hospice, but all depends on doctor's advice at the hospital.  I have got a few other friends to quickly phone this morning (and don't want to be on the phone too long each time because of Trevor trying to get through) and I hope that perhaps when Rachel gets here, we can see Maria today.

Will let you know as soon as I can about the up-to-date news. xxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Eyffgs26 Pauline so so sorry to hear how bad Maria is and getting neglected with the health service and not getting proper attention .Bet prisoners get better treatment. It is so good Trevor is looking after her Think she would be better off in a Hospice .Do hope you and Rachel manage to pop in and visit her

Jean do hope your having a good day. Wonder if you will get out with Coco for a walk or outing
Rita so sorry to hear your still suffering from urine infection. Better to get in touch with the Doctor again. Great you got your washing out to dry

Barbara good news for David about his vaccine. I am like David prefer to shop early as find it is so much quieter .Well done David with all his walking. See Andrew is very busy working from home My daughter did not like working from home and after 2 weeks went back to work in Health service even though she was shielding but pleased she has had the vaccine. Great you now have appointment for hospital and also your chiropodist afraid so many people have suffered  with this lockdown and goodness knows when they will recover if ever for some

Nice fresh day with sun out so might try and do a little tidy up of back garden well at least start Got letter from bowling club  so will need to pay fees but do not mind as they have had it so hard I do not think I will ever play bowls except in fun as back still so poorly.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:16 pm
it is one of those days today; went out for the first time in a week to tescos to get a few bits (they have a £5 blouse in there I sneaked in) got back to the car and the tyre had gone down. David pumped it up and we got to the garage, who changed the wheel as David cannot do it with his arm and we have to go back to collect it this afternoon. Found out the baby is a boy. Catch up tomorrow.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:28 pm
just managed to read back before going to the garage. So sad about Maria, hope she gets some treatment. Must go David shouting at the door.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

It's a lot warmer here today but the rain has arrived! It's been raining off and on all day. I prefer it to the snow and ice - but only just!

David went out early this morning and did some essential shopping. Other than that, he's been playing with his trains upstairs in our loft. Andrew has as usual been working hard in our office upstairs, only coming downstairs to make and eat his lunch and then do his washing up. I've had a reasonably lazy day, working on my computer and doing crosswords and other puzzles in a magazine. When I've completed them, I'll send them to the magazine online. It's been a long time since I won a prize but I keep trying! Tomorrow I have a chiropody appointment in Croydon, and David will have his Covid jab at The Fairfield Halls. Hopefully I'll get online later in the afternoon.

Rita, you had a sunny day yesterday and so you got your washing fairly dry, and ironed, and put on a clothes horse to air. I'm so sorry to hear that you're still not well bladder-wise, as the third lot of antibiotics hasn't cured it. I'll say some prayers for you, if that's all right.

Pauline, you've done a quick post for now, as you were expecting Rachel to arrive about midday, and had some jobs to finish off before she arrived. You also received a phone call from Trevor late yesterday afternoon. Sadly, it wasn't good news, about Maria. She's weakened so much over the last 2 days that he called an ambulance. The paramedic wanted to take her straight to a hospice but she wanted to go to the hospital first, to hear from the doctor that her treatment isn't working. She'd already told the staff at the hospital that she doesn't want resuscitation, although she wants to hang on till Alex is back in the UK, which might be next week, but Alex would first of all have to go into a quarantine hotel, which would add to Maria's distress. Trevor is going to inform you as to what's going on in regard to whether Maria will be transferred to the hospice. You're hoping that when Rachel arrives, you'll both be able to see Maria.

Dian, I see that your daughter didn't like working from home and so went back to work at the NHS. It's good that she's had the vaccine. It's so sad that people have had to wait a long time for their operations and the like due to the hospitals being so busy with Covid patients. The sooner we can all get back to normal the better, and that especially includes the hospitals. You're having a nice fresh sunny day and so will start a tidy up of your garden. You've had a letter from your bowling club and so will need to pay your fees, which you're happy to do, as they need the funds, but unfortunately, your back is still so poorly that you won't be able to play bowls competitively again. That's how it is with me regarding playing Petanque. My back "goes" every now and again and also, I'm no longer able to stand for any length of time.

Jean, you went out today for the first time in a week, to Tescos, where you bought a new blouse as well as a few bits, but when you returned to the car, a tyre had gone flat. David pumped it up and then you took it to a garage, where they changed the wheel. Unfortunately, David can't do that now due to his bad arm. You have to go and collect the car this afternoon.

Stay safe and well, all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 pm
That is a shock Pauline, but I can understand Maria's thinking. I hope you will be able to see her. Trevor must be so anxious and worn out himself.

I will look in here later.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Dwisnx11   Back at last and first of all I am going to read through your posts and answer them and then bring you up-to-date about Maria.

Jean, gone back to previous page and your post yesterday and see that although you took Coco for her walk you still had to be careful because of the slippery leaves - yes plenty of them still laying around here.  Hope you got the Tesco delivery and enjoyed the Valentine's chocolate for you both.  I laughed about you getting that blouse bargain sneaked in the shopping today, but not so good when you got out of the shop to find the tyre down.  Lucky that David at least got it pumped up again, but off to the garage for the tyre change and hope it was ready when you got back there this afternoon.  See you have another great grandson on the way - no great granddaughter yet for you, but so long as all goes well and the baby is healthy, that is what we all wish for.

Dian I see the snow was all gone yesterday although still cold and raining your way, but you did get some windows open and housework done.  Lovely sunny day for you today and here we have rain and it has got much heavier this evening.   I see you daughter was shielding, but soon got back to the work in the NHS.  So brave of her and you know how much everyone has appreciated all that is being done by everyone in the NHS.  Well done you getting some garden work done and hope the weather starts improving now so we can all get some of the garden work started on.  That is kind of you paying your bowling club fees, even though you don't think you will bowl again because of the back trouble, but still a nice club to attend when they can open again.

Barbara I see you got out for a walk yesterday in nice weather, but you are right about the rain today - plenty of it my way.  See that David got the shopping done yesterday morning and has received the confirmation letter for his vaccine appointment and you also got out for a walk in the afternoon and did some shopping on the way home.  I should imagine it is harder for a lot of people to switch off while working from home and see that Andrew was back to long hours after a more relaxed Sunday.  Ralph (my step grandson) one day last week, actually made Rachel get away from the laptop and hours she had been working on there, plus the phone calls to her team and clients and got her out for a walk with their dog and she did feel more relaxed after that.  See you got the letter from the hospital confirming your appointment on Friday and a text reminder for your chiropody appointment.  Same here with regard to dental appointments being cancelled and then you receiving a letter from them letting you know how long it had been since you attended - as if it was your idea to wait so long Rolling Eyes   Mine is on 15th March and also I should book an appointment at the opticians for that month.  Today despite the rain I see that David went out for some more essential shopping and then kept himself occupied with the train set, Andrew busy working again and hope you do soon win a prize with the crosswords on line - all word games like that help to keep our brain in good working order.  I have had a game on my computer for years and that is Bookworm and that keeps me amused when I take a break from the other work on the pc. From what I could remember, I did think that you had back trouble and that stopped you playing petanque - same as Dian doesn't expect to play bowls again.  Same here with me, I badly damaged a joint at the base of the spine and nearly spent 3 months at right angles and that was caused by me bending from the waist down doing gardening and then instead of standing up and moving along,  I unwisely reached too far sidways.  I make so sure these days how I move and bend.  Hope the appointments for you and David go well tomorrow.

Rita I see you made the most of the sunshine yesterday and got the washing out and you even got your ironing done.  I am so sorry to read that the last lot of antibiotics still haven't done the trick with the bladder problem and that can be painful also.  I laughed about your walk to the washing line and back Wink.  Bet you are glad you got that done yesterday, because if the weather your way is the same as here, then there would be no chance of getting it dry and ironed today.  I see you said today that you would look in later to see if there was any further news and I hope I am not too late posting this.

First of all, thank you so much for your comments and thoughts about Maria.

Well Trevor and I are both baffled.  The paramedic that was at Maria's house, wanted to get her straight away to the hospice and also one of Trevor's friends, who works at the hospital, having seen Maria, actually said to Trevor "you know she is near the end, don't you?" and taking into account how Trevor has seen the quick deterioration in her, plus the fact the staff in the hospital were asking her end of life questions, we now don't know what to think, because he was told they would keep her in for a couple of days on a drip and get the fluid down and then she would be going home.  One of the Macmillan nurses said to Trevor that he had done more than enough and shouldn't do anymore and I agree with that and he has put his foot down and told them that Maria lives by herself and needs a complete care package with 24 hour care.  I agreed with Trevor and said put your foot down firmly and insist on this if they are going to send her home.  Some of the problem might have been caused because Maria has said that she would rather die at home, when a couple of weeks ago she had been quite willing to go into the hospice. Maria left her key at home and Trevor has the only key to the house, so they are going to have to take that into account if Trevor stays firm.  They tried to tell him that a bed could soon be got there into the downstairs room and a commode for her, but he has insisted that she lives alone and needs 24 hour care and he can do nothing further.  He has been absolutely marvellous.  Rachel said to me that she could help here and there and I said absolutely not, Maria has worked hard in this country, paid her dues in and deserves that care in the last stages of her illness.  

She is in Talbot ward that has all of the cancer patients in there, so there is no visiting and of course, we can understand that because of the risk to them from visitors taking in the virus or other infections, but I would have thought that if they really thought she was near the end, then why wasn't she being put in one of the side rooms where visitors could go?  I hope that she does consent to being transferred to the hospice.  With regard to Alex her goddaughter, she is hoping that Indonesia opens up again within the week and she can get a flight home and bearing in mind that they have been very strict about nobody going into their country and that she could have a covid test before the flight home, then she wouldn't have to go to one of the hotels, but I would have thought that she would still have to isolate at home before being able to see Maria.  We have been left in such a muddle over all of this and the conflicting information from the hospital, then I really couldn't phone any of her friends until we know something more definite. So, sorry I can't let you know anything further at the moment.

Rachel was happy to get her banana bread today and also had a slice of the other one I had cooked with a cuppa and enjoyed that.  She had delivered the laptop to the new client on the estate where Gennie lived and I used to, so rang me to say she was on the way and arrived four minutes after that.  Had a good natter with her and what a sweetheart, she bought me a nice bunch of yellow roses.  She had a look at the Wren brochure and was amazed at the different colours they did and I said to her "there is no good you falling in love with any of them because you and Stephen have a nice kitchen already and have just spent quite a bit of money on the garage".  She agreed on that one, but said how tempting they were.  We finally decided that she would pick me up on Friday 26th of this month and as she has so many holiday days owing to her, she would take that Friday off and the Monday too, which is her birthday and then I would go back during the following week and it really didn't matter if I went home before my birthday and also it would be Mother's Day on the weekend after that, but perhaps we could combine them all in that week, not that we can go anywhere, but at least can have a special meal at home in the family bubble and exchange presents.  Also, not knowing what might happen with regard to Maria this might all have to be cancelled out.

Well this has been a long post and sorry it is so late and hope I didn't miss anything from your posts.  Wishing you all a peaceful night - sleep well xxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am
I am not good at posting, seem to press wrong spots.
Yes Pauline, I did stay up and see your post, thanks for taking time to let us know about Maria.   What a sad frightening state for her to be, seems whilst she has been having hospital visits no one has wondered about her home care.  I thought that Macmillan nurses were there to care for Cancer patients! Seems not!

With this Covid it is awful that very sick people are so isolated.   It is so mixed up and no one knows what Maria actually said about her care, but I would have thought that seeing the very serious state of her illness that someone somewhere would have helped.  A friend died recently but she had had 24 hour care for years at her home. I think got to pay for care. However, we can only wait and wonder. Trevor will be so tired and anxious, having done all and more than anyone could.
I will sign off for now. Bye...
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am
I just hope that something will be sorted for Maria. you get nothing unless you beg for it and in her case it has been so dreadful.  Wonder why she changed her mind about the hospice. maybe she is not thinking straight due to all she has been through and Trevor has been so good to her.

My brother stayed in the hospice for one night, as he was in a ward with four men and no windows, just waiting to die, so he went back home.  He did have the Macmillian nurses and especially at night, one used to hold his hand through the night. marvellous people.

As for her goddaughter coming back to the uk, cannot see why she went off in the first place
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 D9ypv024 Pauline so sad the way Maria is being treated. Do hope she gets the treatment she deserves soon .It is not right the way she is getting shoved from pillar to post .Do hope it gets fixed soon for her
That was a nice visit from Rachel and so kind with the nice flowers. Yes can be tempted by kitchen brochures especially with nice coloured ones You will be looking forward to meeting up on the 26th with all the  people in your bubble. nice to have something to look forward too

Jean laughed about the blouse as something i would do .Good you got the tyre fixed .Nice to look forward to another grandson

Rita hope your having a good day and feeling a bit better

Barbara good you can enjoy your games ect on comp. David will be looking forward to getting the vaccine Good you got out for a walk as does make us feel better .See Andrew is working very hard at home. Good you now have appointment for the hospital also the chiropodist

Another dry day so far but still very cold...........now going to close windows as quite chilly and get on with some needed housework also bins need to be put out
Son popped in with a few items I wanted in Lidls so pleased got them. Have a good day ladies
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:33 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 I74ll813  Good Afternoon all.

Well hopefully it looks as though the weather is improving, but we did start the day here with strong winds and then sun, followed by some rain and am now back to a dry dull afternooon.  Anyway with the idea and hope in mind that the weather might be improving I thought it was time I got on with those garden oraments and have been repairing and painting more of them today to get them out of the way indoors.  Nice to get back to some crafting for a while.

Rita bless you for looking back in as promised and waiting for my post yesterday.  All we can hope for now is that Trevor, having been firm about everything, that Macmillan will now swing into action for her.  It might not be the best thing for Maria, but if that is what she wants, to die at home, then that is her choice and she is entitled to get all of the help that involves.  It might be more costly for the services involved, but Maria has worked hard and paid her dues and think of all the money she has helped raise for Marie Curie and Macmillan in the past.  To be truthful Rita, nobody is going to push to give more homecare than they have to, while there is someone who is willing to do this and I am glad that finally Trevor has said no more depending on him. I will let you know as soon as I hear anything further from Trevor.

Jean. not having been able to speak to Maria since last week, before the emergency, I really don't know why she changed her mind about the hospice.  She told me that she had been busy changing her Will to leave a bit more to her sister's children in Spain (because a while ago she won some money from one of the charities lotteries she has supported) and Trevor has helped her with all of that and getting things witnessed (he has been a real blessing).  At the same time she never mentoned anything about that lot of treatment and being sent home at 2 in the morning (it was Trevor who had to bring me up-to-date on that one) and whenever I have phoned her and there is no reply, I have always left a message and waited for her to get back to me when she feels able to and then I let her tell me what she wants to and not keep firing questions at her, because I know she has been getting weaker, so Trevor has known more than me.  That is such good news to read about your brother and the Macmillan nurses and hope that happens for Maria.

This morning I had an email from Margaret (the secretary of our Residents Council) saying that she had called on Maria and a friend who was doing some clearing up there (and I assume that was Trevor) told her about Maria being in hospital.  Now only last week, coming back from shopping, I saw Margaret and told her how aggressive this new treatment was and that I wasn't visiting her at the moment, because I wasn't taking the risk of her catching any virus or germs from me and if I did it would be for me to keep her exposed to that so very cold weather (which she mustn't leave herself exposed to with the chemo treatment), but obviously that went in one ear and out of the other, so she emailed me to say she had called on her and I told her that until we knew exactly what had been decided for Maria, there was nothing further I could tell her and when I heard from Trevor then I would get back to her and other friends -  pity she never listened to what I said last week and decided it was okay for her to go worrying Maria.

Jean that is what I think also, plus Trevor too, that Alex shouldn't have gone to Bali in the first place.  I know we sound critical, but Maria does think a lot of her and we have to bear in mind that she was a real help to Maria when Tony died and did all she could then.  Hope you got out with Coco for a walk when the wind subsided today.

Dian, yes that is what we are hoping for, that if she is so determined to die in her own home then Macmillan will swing into action for her.  It is bad enough for Trevor and myself not knowing what is what at the moment, so goodness knows what Maria is going through stuck in Talbot ward with no visitors.  Those flowers from Rachel look lovely - all bright and yellow and doing well and I am looking forward to being with them in the family bubble at the end of the month for a few days - just hope we can stick to the arrangements. That was good of your son bringing you a few things you needed from Lidls and see it has been a dry day for you, although still chilly and see you got on with some housework, but didn't leave the windows open for too long.

Barbara I hope all has gone well for you today with your appointment and the vaccine for David.

Back to a bit more crafting now the first coats of paint have dried, because some of them also need a coat of varnish and will get on with that.  Enjoy the evening ladies and relax.  
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm
Good Afternoon (or is it evening by now?) everyone!

Just a quick post from me for now, as I had my chiropody appointment today and, although it went well, it takes it out of me much more now than it did pre-Covid. I'm not used to travelling about any more, not even just the short tram ride into Croydon. This is probably the result of the stress caused by Covid. Once this lockdown is over, I must get out more, starting with going into Croydon without any appointments to go to, and just going in to do some so-called "non essential shopping". I say "non essential", as it seems to me that shops are only "non essential" until we need to buy something from them!

Anyway, I shall post more tomorrow, but would just like to say to Pauline that although I don't know Maria, I really feel for her and what she's going through; and also for Trevor and Pauline and everyone else who've done all they can to help her in her time of need.

Bye for now, and keep safe and well, everyone!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:13 pm
Hello ladies, we are all safely thro another day. I have hardly stirred from my chair but must try and move around a bit tonight.  When I think of all I used to do I feel useless now and yet  I manage to look after myself and home without help so should be thankful.

Barbara, I think I know what you mean about being nervous outside, it's  ages since I was last outside and then it was to see a Doctor.  I have had to cancel appointments for Dentist and  for eye tests.   Thank you for offering prayers for me, I honestly feel that I am being looked after, but  do not ask, as I am just a thankful speck amongst all those in real need.

Dian, like you I open windows to let the morning air blow thro, hah, maybe silly letting all the warmth blow out then turning the heat up again.! The last time I was in Lidls was when I had been to the Dentist and noted how much lower prices were than from at my local shop.

Jean, I see you got a bargain blouse at Tesco, hoping you get a chance to get out and go somewhere when you wear it.  I seem to be just washing and wearing same sets of clothes, always clean and tidy but not for going out in, if you know what I mean.  Did it cost you much to get your tyre fixed, prices are soaring now.

Pauline, I bet you enjoy brightening up your garden ornaments , got to be careful those paint fumes don't affect you.  Re.Margaret and you telling her about Maria, isn't it galling when folk do not listen or take heed to a word you say, grrrr . Seems just got to sit back and wait to see what is happening to  Maria, helpless situation.

I nearly lost this post just now, so goodnight all
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am
The tyre cost £50 Rita, the garage were very good about us going up there and putting the spare on it. Hopefully this car will be changed at the end of this year, maybe add mine as well and get something else, not that we can go very far.

On our doctors website on facebook, there was a comment about them not caring about us anymore. I agree with that. I would love to know what they are doing all day, this lot are letting people ring and then telling them they cannot answer the phone and ring later.....

I understand Pauline that you tell people things and they do not hear.  David does a lot of that.

I am having a new bathroom floor and the shower is being altered as I cannot get my foot over the bit where you get out.

Barbara I think a lot of people are wary of going out too far, as we are not used to it anymore, I have nowhere much to go either, as all things are closed. It was a strange feeling when I went into a supermarket after the last lockdown.

Dian do you still have snow?
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:16 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Qnz3ea10  It would be so easy to laze around like those bears because it has been on and off rain here since yesterday evening and couldn't do anything outside today, but feed the birds.  I have got on with catching up with emails like answering Wren and letting them know the process I want to go through when their showrooms are allowed to open again and saying at the moment I am a bit in limbo land not knowing what is going to happen with regard to close friend who is terminally ill, so that will keep them off my back for a while, reading through the new PayPal user alterations, emailing a lady who is requesting spider plants on Freecycle and I have plenty of plantlets that need to come off of my large spider plant - not sure if she will want these because my one is the unvariegated type - large and plain green, so waiting for a reply from her, catching up with a couple of surveys and earning more points with Toluna, Crowdology and Hiving and generally clearing the backlog on the computer. Still waiting to hear any further news from Trevor and might phone him this afternoon if he hasn't rung me.  Yesterday got quite a few of the ornaments repainted and today want to varnish the finished ones and hopefully get them out of the way and back in the garden when they are dry.

Barbara I see the chiropody appointment went well, but it took it out of you, even though it was only a short tram journey.  That is the trouble with the winter and lockdown, none of us have been able to do the amount of walking we did before all of this started and hopefully will be able to get some more exercise and walks in when the weather improves. With regard to the "essential" and so called "non-essential" shopping, I did think how stupid it was when the first lockdown was announced that all of the garden centres were forced to close and all of the stocks of plants and flowers (particularly coming upto Mother's Day) had to be destroyed, just when people with gardens could have got more exercise doing work in them.  Thankfully these are still open now (although of course, all refreshment places in them are closed).  Thank you for those kind remarks about Maria and the situation we are in here.

Rita you are far too critical about yourself because I reckon you are absolutely great the way you cope with things and keeping your own house in good order, plus the gardening that you can attempt here and there.  I am younger that you Rita and I know that I have definitely slowed down from what I used to be able to do and reckon at our ages we all deserve to be lazy from time to time.  Like you, open up the windows and patio doors to let the fresh air come in, but am glad of the warmth when they are closed again. With regard to Lidls, last year Aldis was listed as the cheapest supermarket, but this year they share the top spot with Lidls.  Lidls is nearer to me and I have used them regularly over the years, but find their selection on certain frozen foods has got less and Aldis has increased, but there are still some items that I can get cheaper in Tescos, so I am lucky that Lidls and Tescos are near one another for me and if I needed Aldis I would have to stay on the bus three further stops.  I am lucky also that I have Poundland in the shopping centre and B & M opposite that, so quite a good choice of grocery shopping for me within easy reach.  Alway quite a bit of choice too when it comes to household cleaners, etc., with Wilkos and Savers in the centre too.  Same here with regard to clothing, not that many better clothes being worn by me, because of the lack of going out, but mainly work clothes being used in and out of the washing machine - particularly as I am now using paint quite a bit.  No worry Rita about paint fumes because the paint I am using are the acrylics on the ornaments and the varnish isn't that bad and is quick drying.  Yes a bit of a limbo land situation with regard to Maria and not being able to help or visit and yes, a bit annoying with regard to being ignored with regad to visiting  by that lady, but who then emailed me yesterday to ask for the up-to-date news and I hope she has let that sink in this time.  I really cannot phone any of her other friends at the moment, because there is nothing definite to tell them and mainly I want the phone available in case Trevor tries to get through to me.

Jean glad to read that the tyre was sorted for you and the garage were helpful and you are thinking of changing that car and perhaps yours at the end of this year.  As you say, not that either of you go very far, but you both find them so useful.  You don't seem to have many good doctors around your way and when I checked once there weren't many good ratings for any of them.  I had a giggle about your remarks about people not listening, with regard to David - these men are so obstinate when they want to be.  Good luck with the bathroom alterations and hope you find it all easier once it is done.

Expect you will be posting later Dian and the day is going well for all of you.

I am off to make a light lunch (stick to the diet and have a lot of salad in the sandwich) and onwards with the crafting.

Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Oie_gl22 Pauline at least your garden ornaments will look so nice and fresh and cheer you up Do hope Maria will get the care she needs So sad Pauline we posted at the same time good you have quite a variety of shops near you which is a big help and your ornaments will look like new

Jean think we are all so fed up with all the problems with this virus. Funny how quick we can loose our confidence in going out. hope you manage to get out with Coco

Rita I think you are doing so well in looking after yourself. Heres hoping as year goes on lots will start to open up and gradually get back to  near normal

Barbara yes funny how much lockdown has made us loose confidence in going out. do hope your day has gone well with your appointments .I am sure David and Andrew will be busy as ever

Well quite a miserable morning with rain on and off. I have showered and set my hair now off to get on with some needed housework. hoping all are having a good day
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had rain from early this morning and into the early afternoon, although it wasn't heavy at all today, contrary to the forecast! It's also not at all cold.

David's jab went well yesterday and, like me, he wasn't kept waiting about or having to wait outside in the rain. By the evening, though, he was feeling a bit fluey, with his feet being really cold and his legs a bit wobbly. This morning, he had a bad headache but no other symptoms. I went out during the morning to buy him some Paracetamol and some other bits for me. He's been sleeping a lot today, which is so unlike him!

I'm feeling a bit shattered myself today. I think the trip into Croydon and back, and the chiropody appointment took it out of me more than I thought.

I've read all your posts and wish everyone well, including Maria, and I hope she's looked after by the hospital or the hospice very soon. She doesn't deserve to be kept in limbo.

I have my eye appointment at the hospital tomorrow. It's a bus ride away and so I expect to feel really tired on coming home afterwards.

I'lll post more, probably on Saturday, when I hope to be feeling a lot less tired.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum