Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Hello Everyone - Page 21 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:15 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Bth_he14Pauline certainly getting getting a lot up to date  .Well done with all your surveys. See Rachel very busy too .Heres hoping  we are over the worst of covid but time will tell .

Barbara that is good your physio went very well and got more exercises to improve your walking .Well done with walking all the way home. Good you will be getting more exercises to improve your walking. Hope David managed to get his slippers in Croyden and  you got out for your walk.

Jean do hope you and David are feeling a lot better

Rita good you had your walk and spent time with your M_I_L.

Quite a pleasant day as sun shining and nice blue skies but chilly. Enjoyed my day at the Wed club but still quite a few missing .Hope all having a good day
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:33 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

There’s been no fog or frost today, thankfully. We’ve had some drizzle on and off all day but it looks as if it’s stopped now. We did have some sunshine earlier but it didn't stay for very long, unfortunately.

The physio sent me the exercises this morning and I’ve done the ones marked to be done today! Some are the same as I’ve been doing already. In addition to the exercises, I've been working on my computer, both this morning and this afternoon. I have yet to tackle the cryptic crossword and will be doing that later this afternoon. David was upstairs in our loft, playing with his model railway, but he's just come downstairs again to watch some more of the bowls on the TV. He much prefers playing Petanque but it's been too cold or wet for him to go and play at the terrain just recently, and so watching bowls is an acceptable substitute!

Rita, yesterday, once again you and your trolley had a walk, left your repeat prescription app at Dr surgery. You asked at the Pharmacy and to get a testing kit for Covid one has to ring 119 for a Code ? Why or what for, you didn't hear what else he said. You then bought a newspaper and on way back called in for an hour to see your son's ma in law. Sun was shining, but a grey day when you posted. You are glad you didn't clean your windows as you had thought of doing them earlier.

Pauline, you keep on finding so many fiddly little jobs to complete and finish that you don't seem to be crossing off the larger jobs on your list. Rachel phoned yesterday just as she had reached Homebase as she was after some paint to liven up some furniture legs. She had just papered one wall in the lounge and got new curtains up to add a bit more colour in there and was feeling creative and unlike you, had actually nearly finished a larger project. Your day was full up with surveys (but at least another £10 received to add to the amount you have in Amazon to spend), going through emails, security checks on computer, getting in the recycling bin, finishing off this year's diary and printing off bank statements and making sure they tallied with your accounts (which they did), washing the doormat just inside the patio door and all little jobs like that, plus a bit more creative cooking.

Today another small job awaited you. You really do need to update your Christmas card list and go through the cards you received and see if there are any suitable for cutting out for Christmas crafting containers. One of the club members mentioned to you the other day, that there no longer seems to be the collection points about for these, like there used to be. I wonder if they were discontinued when Covid came along, Pauline? Also where you sit at the computer it is next to the window in the side wall and there are two plant pot holders on the windowsill and one of them is flaking badly and needs attention. Thanks for posting a photo of one of them, to show what they should both look like!

Thanks too for your kind comments about my physio appointment. I do feel more hopeful now that something positive is being done for my health issue! David did buy slippers for himself yesterday and we did go for a walk in the afternoon. The weather was actually quite mild, which was nice.

Dian, I totally agree with you that we're hopefully over the worst of Covid now! I just hope that the restrictions won't be done away with too soon. Boris is talking about lifting them on the 26th!

I see that you've had quite a pleasant day as sun shining and nice blue skies but chilly. Enjoyed your day at the Wed club but still quite a few missing.

I hope that Jean and David are all right.

Here's hoping for good health for us all!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:41 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 G_m_l_19 Grrr just lost a post but it was my own fault. Pauline just know you will be busy as ever catching up on work of some kind or another.

Barbara good you did get some sunshine .You did some of your exercises also worked on the computer. Hope you won with your cryptic crossword.David played with his trains then came downstairs to watch the bowling on TV. Misses his Petangue but too cold to play

Jean do hope you and David are feeling so much better now

Rita hope your having a good day

Its a nice bright morning but icy cold outside with frost. Sun now out but no heat in it yet. Mad Wishing you all a good day
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:12 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 0pznvs10   Hi Ladies.  It did start off sunny this morning, but chilly out there and now the sun has disappeared.  Still busy indoors with all of the fiddly jobs and they are boring, but still getting through them.

Dian I was hoping we were over the worst of the Covid, but yesterday Aimie said they had all gone down with it.  The boys only needed a dose of Calpol and she wasn't too bad and today has managed to get the washing done, but it is Sean that has a really bad dose of it, so hope he gets clear of it quickly.  You enjoyed your Wednesday club, but like my one, there were still quite a few members missing.  It is so annoying when you lose a post, particularly when it is your own fault (like I did the other day), but got back to it and posted today which is a very cold frosty day for you, although you do have sun.  Expect you have found plenty to do indoors and perhaps looking forward to your usual trip out tomorrow.

Barbara, a day full of drizzle for you yesterday, so you got on with the new exercises that the physio had sent you, worked on your computer in the morning and also the afternoon, plus tackled the cryptic crossword.  Of course, David would prefer to be out playing Petanque, but the weather isn't suitable for that at the moment, so he is spending more time with the train set and also wathing bowls on the t v.  You might be right about the card collections stopping because of the covid and I also read that it is difficult to recycle the cards containing glitter.

Jean I do hope that you and David are now over the worst of covid - you can see above what I wrote about Sean, Aimie and the children now having it.

Rita, wondering if it is another outing for you today with a trip to Sainsburys.

Must away now ladies and get on with the boring jobs and cross them off of the list of to do things.  Enjoy your day all of you.

Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:16 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Oie_gl66  Just popped back to say that I had found myself another job of clearing things.  I finished this year's diary and while I was doing that I did think about the number of past diaries I had stored.  I had kept these along with the photo albums, so if there was ever any photo I needed to work out the date of when it was taken, I could refer to them.  Well those dates will come in handy when I get back to sorting through the rest of the photos that Stephen gave to me to look through which came from his Dad's Mum.

I did start keeping diaries from 66/67, but that doesn't mean to say there are 56 years of them, because some of them were very small pocket diaries, other 5 year diaries and some wall calendars.  Having thought about them I got them out and have started getting rid of them, just noting the main dates in them of holidays, family occasions, etc., and entering them on a sheet of paper, which I can use to date certain photos.  So far got through the first 3 years and those have now been shredded, so the clear out continues, although not the items I had intended to start on, but at least it is a start and there is a space on the shelves where that box once stood.

Enjoy your evening Ladies and you know what I will be busy doing.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:29 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had another heavy frost this morning. It did eventually clear but it took a long time! We've had lovely sunshine for a lot of the day but it's still very cold.

David did the essential shopping early this morning and then went out again to buy some more items he hadn't been able to buy earlier. I don’t have to do the exercises today as they're to be done every other day. I've tackled the cryptic crossword today and almost completed it. I've also worked on my computer. David and I were going to go for a walk this afternoon but before we could go out, we had a phone call from our central heating company, asking if their engineer could come and look at one of our radiators today instead of tomorrow. Of course we agreed, as the sooner the better! The engineer turned up about half an hour later and fixed the radiator straight away. Another job done! David was watching the indoor bowls on the TV this afternoon but has now gone upstairs into our loft to play with his model railway.

Dian, you had a nice bright morning but icy cold outside with frost. Sun was out but no heat in it at the time. Sorry to hear you lost a post this morning!

Pauline, it did start off sunny this morning, but chilly out there and now the sun has disappeared. Still busy indoors with all of the fiddly jobs and they are boring, but still getting through them.

You were hoping you were over the worst of the Covid, but yesterday Aimie said they had all gone down with it. The boys only needed a dose of Calpol and she wasn't too bad and today has managed to get the washing done, but it is Sean that has a really bad dose of it, so hope he gets clear of it quickly. Sorry to hear that. I too am hearing of more and more people going down with it. During the early days of the pandemic, I heard of hardly anyone having it. It just goes to show how much it's spread now.

Just popped back to say that you had found yourself another job of clearing things. You finished this year's diary and while you were doing that you did think about the number of past diaries you had stored. You had kept these along with the photo albums, so if there was ever any photo you needed to work out the date of when it was taken, you could refer to them. Well those dates will come in handy when you get back to sorting through the rest of the photos that Stephen gave to you to look through which came from his Dad's Mum.

You did start keeping diaries from 66/67, but that doesn't mean to say there are 56 years of them, because some of them were very small pocket diaries, other 5 year diaries and some wall calendars. Having thought about them you got them out and have started getting rid of them, just noting the main dates in them of holidays, family occasions, etc., and entering them on a sheet of paper, which you can use to date certain photos. So far got through the first 3 years and those have now been shredded, so the clear out continues, although not the items you had intended to start on, but at least it is a start and there is a space on the shelves where that box once stood.

I hope that Jean and David are getting over the Covid. I also hope that Rita is having a good day.

Wishing everyone good health!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Vaqmcb10   Good Morning Ladies.  Bit slow getting through computer work this morning as I have been doing security checks and then downloaded the up-to-date version of the Firefox browser and of course, having done that, had to log in again to several different sites.  Anyway all emails up-to-date, surveys done and now onto the pleasant job of reading and posting on here,  After this I am determined to get through most of those old diaries today, list the important dates out of them and then get on with the shredding of them.  I will then have to make a comprehesive list from all I have taken notes of and am sure that a couple of sheets of paper will certainly take up less room than a box full of diaries, so worth doing and something that has been on the back of my mind to do for quite a time.

It is very grey outside today and last evening it got to a real stage of intensive coldness and it is the same today, so happy to do indoor jobs.  Ache has gone from the knee after me using a knee support for an entire day, but now back is twinging, so sitting very straight while I am doing things - oh the fun of travelling arthritis in this weather  Rolling Eyes  Crying or Very sad.

Barbara I see that after David went on two shopping trips you had both planned to go for a walk, but the engineer for the central heating phoned and asked if he could visit you to see to the radiator, instead of the planned visit today.  You both agreed to that and he arrived and now the rad is working well - as you say another job done.  David spent more time with the trains and watching the bowls on t v and you got on with your cryptc crossword and computer work.  Yesterday you didn't have to do any of the exercises, but will be back to them today. Thank you for the good wishes to my Granddaughter and her family about the covid attack.  We certainly do seem to be hearing of more cases now, although milder and think it is this herd immunity the authorities are after.

Wondering if you have a day out planned Dian and whether you Rita went out yesterday on the Sainsbury's bus.  Hope Jean that you and David are both well again.

Going to make a coffee and then get on with the diary clearance and hope all of you enjoy your day.

Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:12 pm
What have I done wrong. It said "no post mode  specified" and disappeared,   I am OK and hope you are too Byeee
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had frost this morning but it was nowhere near as heavy as yesterday's and so it cleared in plenty of time for David and I to have a nice walk in the sunshine this morning.

Before that, David did the essential shopping. I did both sets of my physio exercises, one this morning and the other one in the afternoon. I'm enjoying doing them and some of them are the same as I was already doing. I've also almost completed the cryptic crossword and have worked on my computer both this morning and this afternoon. David watched the indoor bowls this afternoon and has now gone upstairs into our loft to play with his model railway.

Pauline, bit slow getting through computer work this morning as you have been doing security checks and then downloaded the up-to-date version of the Firefox browser and of course, having done that, had to log in again to several different sites. Anyway all emails up-to-date, surveys done and now onto the pleasant job of reading and posting on here, After posting, you were determined to get through most of those old diaries today, list the important dates out of them and then get on with the shredding of them. You will then have to make a comprehensive list from all you have taken notes of and are sure that a couple of sheets of paper will certainly take up less room than a box full of diaries, so worth doing and something that has been on the back of your mind to do for quite a time.

It is very grey outside today and last evening it got to a real stage of intensive coldness and it is the same today, so happy to do indoor jobs. Ache has gone from the knee after you using a knee support for an entire day, but now back is twinging, so sitting very straight while you are doing things - oh the fun of travelling arthritis in this weather. If it's not one joint, it's another, isn't it, Pauline!

As you said, we certainly do seem to be hearing of more cases now, although milder and think it is this herd immunity the authorities are after.

Rita, I'm sorry you lost a post today but am glad that you're OK.

Dian, I hope you're having a good day. Jean, I hope that you and David are starting to feel a bit better now.

Wishing everyone good health!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 4mw8uy10    Good Morning Ladies.  It has started off a sunny morning with temperatures up slightly from the last couple of days, so hence the springlike gif.

Last evening I cheated and popped a ready meal into the oven, because for two weeks now I have been doing so much inventive cooking, which of course, has created more washing up, so needed a break from all of that.  Also because of all of the cooking going on, it has cut down on the time I had to continue with all of the jobs.  Getting on well with the diary clear out, but still more to do and just hoping that I can finish that today.

Rita, sorry you lost your post and hope you will try again today.  Those words that you put on "no post mode specified"  I don't recognise from anything on this site.  Hope your week has gone well and look forward to hearing about it.

Hope Jean and David are okay as we haven't heard from her since Monday.

Hope you got your usual trip out yesterday Dian.

Barbara, back to both sets of exercises for you yesterday and in the afternoon you went with David for a walk.  In the morning he had done the essential shopping and then after the walk with you he played with the trains and then watched more of the bowls on t v. You got on with computer work - that never ends - and tackled the cryptic crossword - well done in completing that.  You are quite right as far as the arthritis is concerned, if it isn't one joint, it is another, although this morning I don't seem to be affected by it at the moment. but I do try and not sit for any length of time, even if it is to do a short walk in the garden or around the house.

Just caught up with Stephen on the phone and he had just arrived at the opticians for an eye test, which we have been nagging at him to do for quite a while, because we do know he does need glasses for close work at least.  40 minutes after his arrival there, Rachel should be arriving with Ralph as his regular test is due (being diabetic and already wearing glasses), so hope all goes well for both of them.

Must away now ladies and get on with that diary clearance.  Hope all of you enjoy your Saturday.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 am
Well somehow missed everyone.  We are fine now, clear and worn out. Got fish and chips yesterday for lunch, so weak, dropped them.

David is applying for his blue badge renewal and I am sure they only wanted a letter from the doc saying he could, but no, he has to have a summary. Cannot tell him. so that means we shall be stuck here forever now, he cannot walk far.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:13 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Eyffgs42 Pauline well done with the diary clearance I must do that too though quite like reading some of them but really must get rid of them all. Nice sometimes having a quick dinner when not in the mood to make one .Good to see some pleasant days now too. Hope all went well for Stephen and friends at the opticians.

Jean good you are feeling a bit better and hope David improves soon too and you can both get out once again.

Barbara well done in completing all your exercises also working on  the cryptic crossword and busy with computer work. David did his essential shopping then later watched the bowling and after that played with his trains upstairs

Rita well done in clearing your charity bags ect. Hope your having a nice day.

Sorry ladies but so tired when i got home yesterday did not manage in here. I did enjoy my long day out with my friend and also my daughter who took us.in her car It was like a nice spring day as blue skies and pleasant .I did quite a bit of shopping and of course a few stops for snacks.Cold and dull today but off to do a washing .Enjoy your weekend all
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:17 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

There was no frost today but it was still bitterly cold.  

David and I went for a walk this morning but there was no sunshine!  David went earlier this afternoon to a model railway shop but didn’t see anything he wanted to buy.  I tackled and almost finished the cryptic crossword and watched a TV programme that I’d missed during the week.  I've also worked on my computer.  I've had email notification that the slippers I ordered on Monday are now with the courier company and so should be with me one day next week.  We’ve been watching the Australian Open Tennis Championship and now it's the horse racing!

Pauline, today started off with a sunny morning with temperatures up slightly from the last couple of days, so hence the springlike gif from you!

Last evening you cheated and popped a ready meal into the oven, because for two weeks now you have been doing so much inventive cooking, which of course, has created more washing up, so needed a break from all of that.  Also because of all of the cooking going on, it has cut down on the time you had to continue with all of the jobs.  Getting on well with the diary clear out, but still more to do and just hoping that you can finish that today.

I'm glad you haven't been affected by the arthritis today and I hope that continues.

Just caught up with Stephen on the phone and he had just arrived at the opticians for an eye test, which you all have been nagging at him to do for quite a while, because you do know he does need glasses for close work at least.  40 minutes after his arrival there, Rachel should be arriving with Ralph as his regular test is due (being diabetic and already wearing glasses), so hope all goes well for both of them.

Jean, well somehow missed everyone.  You are both fine now, clear and worn out.   I'm so glad to hear that, Jean!  Got fish and chips yesterday for lunch, so weak, dropped them.  Oops!

David is applying for his blue badge renewal and you are sure they only wanted a letter from the doc saying he could, but no, he has to have a summary.  Cannot tell him, so that means you both shall be stuck there forever now, he cannot walk far.

Dian, you were so tired when you got home yesterday did not manage in here. You did enjoy your long day out with your friend and also your daughter who took you both in her car.  It was like a nice spring day as blue skies and pleasant.  You did quite a bit of shopping and of course a few stops for snacks.  Cold and dull today but off to do a washing.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Bells_27Pauline hope you have got some more diaries destroyed I am sure you have no doubt been busy as usual

Barbara good you had your walk with David. David visited a shop for his trains but did not see anything that he wanted You tackled the cryptic crossword and nearly finished it also caught up on your tv programs.Also you worked on the computer and found that your slippers ready for despatch. Do hope they fit nicely. You watched tennis then the horse racing

Jean do hope you and David are having a good day and do hope you are both feeling a good bit better also Coco

Rita hope your day is going along nicely

Another chilly day but dry so far. I have changed the bedding and hope to get it out for a little while on the line. wishing you all a nice day
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:14 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Floati10    Hi Ladies.  Woke up early this morning and made a drink, but went back to bed and eventually woke up at 9.30, so a good sleep in today and back to the long job of those diaries.  It is taking me much longer that I thought, but will be well worth doing when it is done with.

I was saying to Stephen yesterday on the phone that nothing changes - during the time we had the shop, you should have seen the number of entries that noted "pay Income Tax cheque" and "VAT inspection", "Appointment with Accountant", etc.  I know we were younger, but it was amazing that after running a shop with long hours and a 7 day week (because of also being a newsagents) we still managed to go out on the Sunday half day (at times visiting the in-laws in N. London or taking them back after a weekend with us) and in the evenings (particularly in the summer) and made use of the Bank Holidays (once the newspapers had been delivered and sold) and took it in turns to get away on holidays with the help of my in-laws helping my Mum when we were away with Stephen and then Brian and I managed when my Mum went on holiday with Stephen or also with the in-laws and Stephen, plus taking it in turns to take Stephen out for days and being in the London area there were plenty of interesting places to go.

During summer evenings we would drive out to Richmond Park, Epsom and Esher, where we liked the Berni Inn at "Moore Place" which had a golf course at the back .  There had been several mansions built on that site during hundreds of years, but the existing building had been owned by Lady Byron (widow of the poet).  Another building there was Claremont House and living there in 1850 the occupants of Claremont House were the former King Louis-Phillipe of France and his Queen, refugees from the aggressive reformism of 1848, but their grandson, the Compte de Paris, stayed at Moore Place with his mother (whose family were de Bourbon of the Orleans family), at the invitation of Lady Byron. That building had quite a history and the staff of the Berni Inn never minded Stephen wandering off around the house and exploring.  That place has since been used for various reasons and some of it partly demolished and is now a care home.  Another lot of history lost for modern use, which has happened to a lot of the stately homes.  We have a lot of that happening here in Northants, with these type of buildings now being used as spas and hotels.

Well enough of the trip down memory lane and that is what is taking me such a time to go through those diaries.

After the trip to the opticians, Stephen has ended up with varifocals for close work, computer screen viewing, etc., and Rachel helped him choose the frames.  Ralph just needed new lens as his existing ones were a bit scratched, but no alteration for him.

Jean, nice to hear from you yesterday with the information that you were both getting over the covid, but still leaving you a bit weak from that.  Another lot of bother for you to deal with about the renewal of David's blue badge - more forms to fill in and a summary required from the doctor to get this, so good luck with that.

Dian, well you can see what has happened to me with the diary clear out, that you also need to do.  Such a trip down memory lane and of course, taking me much longer thinking about all of those memories, so you know what to expect if you start that job!!  You can see from above about the trip to the opticians, so all of that over for them and Stephen is ending up with the glasses we have been nagging him about for ages.  Good to read you had a long and enjoyable day out on Friday with your friend and daughter in springlike weather, but yesterday the weather had dulled off again and you were catching up on the laundry.  Chilly today, but at least dry and you hope to get the washing outside for a while as you have stripped the bed again.

Rita hope your weekend is going well and you manage to get a post on here, without losing it this time.

Barbara, Bitterly cold day for you, but you and David got out for a walk and David had earlier visited a model shop, but didn't find anything he wanted for his train track.  You almost finished the cryptic crossword, caught up on a t v programme you had missed and also did the computer work.  Both of you watched the tennis from Australia and then the horse racing.  Hope the slippers do arrive when they have stated during this week and they are a good fit.  

Off to make a coffee now Ladies and then onwards with the diaries and hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.

BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:41 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We've had no fog or frost today but it's still bitterly cold and there's been no sunshine at all.

David did the essential shopping this morning and then we went out for a walk, well wrapped up, of course! It was good to be out in the air, despite the cold.

Later in the morning, David went upstairs into our office to do some tasks on the computer up there. I did one lot of my physio exercises and tackled the general knowledge crossword. After lunch, I did some work on my computer and will be doing the other set of exercises shortly. David is watching the horse racing on the TV.

Dian, I've had no more notifications about when my slippers will arrive but I don't suppose the company works on Sundays. I expect to hear more tomorrow.

You're having another chilly day but dry so far. You have changed the bedding and were hoping to get it out for a little while on the line.

Pauline, woke up early this morning and made a drink, but went back to bed and eventually woke up at 9.30, so a good sleep in today and back to the long job of those diaries. It is taking you much longer than you thought, but will be well worth doing when it is done with.

You were saying to Stephen yesterday on the phone that nothing changes - during the time you had the shop, we should have seen the number of entries that noted "pay Income Tax cheque" and "VAT inspection", "Appointment with Accountant", etc. You were younger, but it was amazing that after running a shop with long hours and a 7 day week (because of also being a newsagents) you still managed to go out on the Sunday half day (at times visiting the in-laws in N. London or taking them back after a weekend with you) and in the evenings (particularly in the summer) and made use of the Bank Holidays (once the newspapers had been delivered and sold) and took it in turns to get away on holidays with the help of your in-laws helping your Mum when you were away with Stephen and then Brian and you managed when your Mum went on holiday with Stephen or also with the in-laws and Stephen, plus taking it in turns to take Stephen out for days and being in the London area there were plenty of interesting places to go.

During summer evenings you would drive out to Richmond Park, Epsom and Esher, where you liked the Berni Inn at "Moore Place" which had a golf course at the back . There had been several mansions built on that site during hundreds of years, but the existing building had been owned by Lady Byron (widow of the poet). Another building there was Claremont House and living there in 1850 the occupants of Claremont House were the former King Louis-Phillipe of France and his Queen, refugees from the aggressive reformism of 1848, but their grandson, the Compte de Paris, stayed at Moore Place with his mother (whose family were de Bourbon of the Orleans family), at the invitation of Lady Byron. That building had quite a history and the staff of the Berni Inn never minded Stephen wandering off around the house and exploring. That place has since been used for various reasons and some of it partly demolished and is now a care home. Another lot of history lost for modern use, which has happened to a lot of the stately homes. You have a lot of that happening in Northants, with these type of buildings now being used as spas and hotels.

After the trip to the opticians, Stephen has ended up with varifocals for close work, computer screen viewing, etc., and Rachel helped him choose the frames. Ralph just needed new lens as his existing ones were a bit scratched, but no alteration for him.

Good Luck with finishing the diaries!

Fingers crossed that my slippers arrive soon!

I hope that Jean and Rita are having good days!

Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:49 pm
It is a horrible murky day today, have the lights on of course and no doubt the smart meter will say I have used more electric.   Still awaiting repair on that.  To think once I worked full time, took the boys swimming and walking and now today my legs are all wobbly.  My middle grandson is still ill with covid.

To this end David is not well and he will ring that specialist, even though it will cost money.  His idiot said that he had the matter in hand on the 23rd December.  Heard nothing of course and am sure they are awaiting him to die. Their turn will come.
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm
I still have not  decided whether or not to buy a new computer. Last July I bought a mobile DORO phone, on Friday, it stopped working, so had to go to O2 from where I bought it and complain. They could not get it going so offered me an exchange, so I took a new Moto. Once home. I couldn't get it going again, but today Peter came and after spending time he has it working ok.  It is mainly for me to have just for appointments, not for conversations, as I have problems hearing, but hopefully all will be well now.  

Saturday I walked to local chemists with neighbour, I picked up my monthly prescription for eye drops and bought a newspaper.

Mary  is worried about her Granddaughter, but cannot do anything.. The girl just turned 17, has boy friend (no.2) and goes to his home and stays there sleeping together.  His parents said she could choose to be in spare room or in boy's bedroom.  She lives with her Dad who has no say, she says she is old enough and he has had custody of her since she was 10. Long story he is a good man, had to give up his job as he was 'on call'  so many times, as the mother, banned from seeing her daughter whom she has neglected, kept turning up at the school, drunk.   All so very sad.  The girl is well spoken, pleasant, has just started work, still has to see a social worker once a month because of all the turmoil of her childhood.        

JEAN it is a very worrying time for you still waiting for news from Addenbrookes or indeed any medical help at all for David. Are you both recovering a little from the Covid?  It seems to affect people in different ways, especially when not well anyway.

DIAN.  Like you I put out washing  on line and it did dry a little.

BARBARA.  You have been able to enjoy the sunshine and get out for gentle walks, enjoying David's company.

PAULINE,  You've done more reminiscing when clearing out, happy memories.

I try to keep going, make myself walk with the trolley, as not been feeling so good and as soon as I get back home just fall asleep in the chair.  Slept three hours, woke up when it was dark, but Spring may be on its way so I am sure I will get a boost then.

My daughter in Canada has the Virus, but she says is OK, very tired, headaches, leg and back pains, is taking paracetamol, etc., like flu.  Sleeping separate room. Trying to keep distance from husband. Her neighbour, dog walker, seems had it, but didn't know then, so it's easily passed on.

Cheerio all take care
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Crbj6y11   Hi Ladies.  Another cold grey morning and am getting on here this morning as I am off to the club today and then going shopping after that.  Later in the day hopefully there will be a few bargains to be found and I do need a full shop as getting low on most necessary items.

Barbara, a bitterly cold day for you yesterday with no sunshine, but well wrapped up, you and David got in a walk.  After that David did work in the office on the computer, while you did one lot of your exercises, plus tackled the crossword.  After lunch David watched the horse racing on t v and you got back to more computer work and you were planing to do the second lot of your exercises.  Thank you for the good wishes to me in the hope that I can soon finish the diaries.  Don't think there will be much done on them today what with the club and shopping to do.  Hope you don't have too long a wait for your slippers to arrive.

Jean, when looking back we do realise what we managed to get through, compared to what we are able to do now.  Sorry to read your middle grandson is still ill with covid and still nothing coming through with regard to treatment for David.  Such a stressful time for you both and do hope that things improve for you both.

Dian I hope you managed to get some of your bedding partly dry yesterday and look forward to hearing from you today.

Rita, Good to read you sorted out the phone with o2 on Frday and got a new one from them that Peter has set up for you.  Saturday you walked to the chemists to collect your prescription for the eye drops and enjoyed the company of a neighbour going there and also have gone out with your trolley to keep going as you haven't been feeling so good and hoping that things will improve for you when the Spring arrives (think we all feel that way), but then had a good sleep in the chair when getting home and woke up when it was dark and that really doesn't matter because you had got in some exercise with a well earned rest after that.  See your daughter is having to be careful not to pass on the covid to her husband and sounds as though she has a bad attack of that and hope she is over it soon.  Seems perhaps she got this from a neigbour dog walker who didn't realise she had it at the time.  She is certainly making sure that her husband is safe so soon after his heart op. Yes plenty of memories to think about while I am seeing to the diaries.  As far as your friend Mary is concerned being so worried about her granddaughter, knowing her sad background, I think we all have to realise life is so different these days with regard to the older teenagers and although 17, that girl is in her 18th year, so really an adult and like all of us, has to learn from her own mistakes, but do hope that things go okay for her.

I must away now ladies and get a few little jobs done before I get ready to go to the club.  Hope the week starts going well for all of you.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:35 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 1i6fjy54Mondays seem to come round so quick these days Very Happy
You certainly led a really busy life when you had the shop Pauline and visited such interesting places. I have been to Richmond park a long long time ago.It was a nice park with people riding horses through it thats the bit I remember. We did not have time to moan about things but just put the head down and get on with it .Nobody was coming to bail you out Hope you have a nice day at the club.Guess it taught us to rely on ourselves  

Jean do hope you and David to start to feel a little bit better but do be good to yourself and David .hope Coco is fine too.

Rita good you managed out for a walk and good to have a chat .Well you did well with your walk so entitled to a nice nap .Afraid its a different world the young people live in today.Some good some not. Hope your daughter recovers soon and her husband does not get it.

Barbara hope your slippers arrive soon for you.Good you got out for a walk with David even though it was bitter cold David worked on the computer You did exercises also worked on the computer and did your crossword.Later got more exercises done and David watched the horse racing

Cold but bright morning and now the sun is out. Got my bedding dry Now waiting on a friend popping in Have a good day ladies
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 pm
Rita that girl seems to know how to take care of herself.  Things are certainly different these days.  Do not know if it is good or bad.

Went down town to Halifax to get some money out and am now worn out. David had nausea again this morning for half an  hour.  Still cold here.

Glad everyone is ok.  Sorry short but worn out.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:42 pm
Good Morning everyone!

The weather was just as cold as it was yesterday and was cloudy but at least it still stayed dry. Still no sign of the sun, though!

David did the essential shopping early this morning and then we went for a walk. Afterwards, I tackled the cryptic crossword but didn’t do very well at all with it. I shall have another try later today. This afternoon I’ve done some work on my computer.

Jean, you had a horrible murky day yesterday, had the lights on of course and no doubt the smart meter will say you have used more electric. Still awaiting repair on that. To think once you worked full time, took the boys swimming and walking and now today your legs are all wobbly. I'm sorry to hear that, and that your middle grandson is still ill with covid.

I'm also sorry to hear that David is not well and he will ring that specialist, even though it will cost money. His idiot said that he had the matter in hand on the 23rd December. Heard nothing of course.

Rita, you still have not decided whether or not to buy a new computer. Last July you bought a mobile DORO phone, on Friday, it stopped working, so had to go to O2 from where you bought it and complain. They could not get it going so offered you an exchange, so you took a new Moto. Once home. you couldn't get it going again, but today Peter came and after spending time he has it working ok. It is mainly for you to have just for appointments, not for conversations, as you have problems hearing, but hopefully all will be well now.

Saturday you walked to local chemists with neighbour, you picked up your monthly prescription for eye drops and bought a newspaper.

That's very sad about Mary's granddaughter and her family but it seems to be the way of the world now, and that's sad in itself.

You try to keep going, make yourself walk with the trolley, as not been feeling so good and as soon as you get back home just fall asleep in the chair. Slept three hours, woke up when it was dark, but Spring may be on its way so you're sure you'll get a boost then.

Your daughter in Canada has the Virus, but she says is OK, very tired, headaches, leg and back pains, is taking paracetamol, etc., like flu. Sleeping separate room so as to try and protect her husband, as it's not long since his heart op. Her neighbour, dog walker, seems had it, but didn't know then, so it's easily passed on.

Pauline, you had another cold grey morning and got on here this morning as you are off to the club today and then going shopping after that. Later in the day hopefully there will be a few bargains to be found and you do need a full shop as getting low on most necessary items.

After posting, you went to get a few little jobs done before you got ready to go to the club.

Dian, I'd say it's true that Mondays seem to come round so quick these days!

You had a cold but bright morning and then the sun came out. You got your bedding dry and then waited on a friend popping in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Flower39Pauline hope you enjoyed your Mon club and got more shopping done

Barbara see weather still as cold as ever .David did his usual shopping and then had a walk. You tackled your cryptic crossword but did not do too good with it but will try again later, Later you worked on the computer

Jean good you got to Halifax and got your money out .Hope David is having a better day

Rita hope you have got to grips with your new phone. So annoying anything we get new now is never straight forward to work.

A dry cold day but better than the rain. Just waiting on daughter popping in for a cuppa after her work.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:44 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Npftmb10 Hi Ladies,  Just been taking things a bit slower this morning after a busy day yesterday.  Enjoyed the club, but left a little bit earlier as I didn't want to be home too late from the shopping and in fact walked home from that while there was still some daylight left.  Got the shopping away (and quite a few bargains found at that time of the day in Tescos) and then straight up for a hot bath and into pyjamas early, because left knee was aching a bit from all of the walking, all set for an easy evening.

Made a few phone calls this morning, one of them being that my next dental appointment was made for 18th April and when I was filling in the new diary I realised that was the Bank Holiday Monday after Easter (which they wouldn't have realised at the time) and now booked in for Friday 22nd April.

Dian, you are so right, these weeks seem to go by so quckly and I never do seem to accomplish all I had planned to do in the week.  It is many years since I went to Richmond Park, but always enjoyed it there when we got the chance and that is also so true, we always had to get our head down and tackle what got thrown our way, no good wasting time moaning about it.  I did enjoy the club and see you got your bedding dry yesterday and hope your friend popped in to see you. I see today although it is cold, at least it is dry and it is the same here and you are looking forward to your daughter popping in after work for a cuppa.

Jean seems to be taking quite a time for the covid to get out of your system as you are still getting worn out quickly and hope that David is better today than he was yesterday morning.

Barbara, the usual normal day for you yesterday and you and David got the walk in, at least still in dry weather, although very cold.  Hope you got on better with the cryptic crossword with a second attempt and there was the usual computer work to do after the first attempt.

Hope the week is going well for you Rita.

Just stopping for a light lunch and then back to make a few more phone calls and hopefully a bit more work on the diaries.  Wishing you all a nice afternoon.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:23 pm
Well I slept late again.  Just wondered if David was still with me as he did not wake up either.  He is driving me mad, he cannot do much, but is ok as I do it anyway.  The latest is that he had to reply to the doc re the blue badge and then I had to do it.

It is a another murky day today.  Changed the bedding and that wore me out. It was either that or it walked to the washing machine by itself, still weak and wobbly.

Middle grandson has had one clear test. Coco keeps looking at me and saying what have I done?  Had hoped to get her out today, but she had a car ride yesterday.  Hopefully the sun will shine tomorrow.

Had a Tesco delivery which charged for things I did not have, am still awaiting to hear from them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum