Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Hello Everyone - Page 20 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:01 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!  I'm sorry not to have got in here yesterday but I was feeling somewhat tired with the sudden heat and humidity.  The weather here never changes gradually, does it!

We had lovely sunshine all morning and into the start of the afternoon.  Then we had a period of cloud cover, just like it did yesterday, when we had some thunder and a bit of rain although it didn't amount to much.  However, the sunshine has now returned, and so it seems the weather doesn't know what to do with itself!  Thunderstorms are still forecast for today in this area.

David was going to do the essential shopping early this morning as usual but when he came downstairs, he found that some flying ants had got into our downstairs loo; and so he had to set to and do something about them!  He did manage to get rid of the ones that had got in but there were others lurking about and so he went to our local ironmonger's shop (that sells everything) and bought some filler stuff and also some ant killer powder.  He set about solving the problem, which he did, and all is well again.

After lunch, he went out again to do the essential shopping and bought a newspaper as well.  He's now watching a Western on the TV.

I've done some of my physio exercises and will do the rest of them later on today.  I've done some walking around the downstairs of our house.  I've also done some reading and have done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I've also watched some TV.  Now that we have a newspaper, I shall tackle the cryptic crossword later on this afternoon.

JEAN, It was a lovely wedding yesterday but so hot.  They had the hymns you had at your wedding but different tunes.

You got  pink from tje sun whilst they were taking photos.

Hopefully you will finish the packing today.

YOU ARE GOING ON 16TH TO THE 23RD.  IT WAS SO HOT SO EARLY AND THIS THING REFUSES TO UNLOCK THE CAPS LOCK111111111.  Did it at last.

You went to church yesterday but saw nobody else.

Hope all are ok.

PAULINE, Yesterday it was another hot one and you got out in the garden early this morning and watered.

After doing a few small jobs outdoors, it got far too hot to continue outside and you came indoors and got on with jobs like tidying downstairs again and vacuuming around, put some items like the slow cooker back in the cupboard where it should be and just cleared the decks, plus cleared paperwork from the table.  As the shade got on the garden you went out there and finished that bed where the iris are now and also planted a penstemon a bit further along from them, got some seedlings potted up and dug up a geum that never did too well where it was and temporarily put that in a large pot then watered everywhere and felt too tired to continue with sifting potting fibre from 3 more large planters, so came in, had a cool bath this time and caught up on some reading and recorded t v.  After this post and answering a few emails, you will go out there and finish those planters and use a couple of them for putting in the rest of the smaller iris corms until they get larger and hopefully finish with that job today.

Rachel had an interview to attend on Friday, at St. Andrew's Hosptal here in Northampton and she honestly thought that another lady that was there for the same job, would actualy get it, because she was definitely full of NHS information and abviously a professonal that had worked in the NHS before and Rachel felt quite depressed about it all,  but 20 minutes after she got home they phoned her and offered her the job.  She frankly said that she thought the other lady would get it and the man on the phone said, "I have had enough of NHS experts, got them coming out of my ears and we want someone that we can sit down and talk things over with sensibly and we all thought that was you".  It's so refreshing to hear of an employer with that attitude.  She is so happy with it all and that is the one job out of another 2 interviews she had lined up, that she really liked.  St. Andrews is one of the top hospitals dealing with mental issues, drug addiction, etc., but although they do have NHS patients in there, they also have a lot of fee paying patients i.e. Boy George, years ago, had his drug addicton dealt with successfully there, so their budget is larger than fully depending on the NHS and they need someone like Rachel to look at their total budget, talk things through with them and make sure they are making the best use of the money that goes into that hospital.  She asked when they wanted her to start and she was told, "enjoy a holiday and break from work and then join us when you are ready".  Brilliant for her and as she said, so easy to pick you up on a Friday and take you up for a weekend in Rugby and bring you back on the Monday.  When she does start then they will need her there all of the working week for the first month, but after that, she will be able to do a lot of the work from home.  That's great news, Pauline!

Thank you for putting the photos of Lola on here.  She really is a pretty cat and she's certainly taken a shine to you and your house and garden!

Quick look in from you too today as off to get your prescription and top up shopping before you go to the club.

Yesterday you potted up some more African Marigold seedlings that are growing well and put some of the smaller French marigolds into spaces in the hanging baskets, where some of the Pansies are giving up in this heat.  It really was far too hot to get a lot done out there, but you did manage to get some of the smaller roots of the Bearded Iris into a large square tub and see how they might come along to make larger plants.

DIAN, This was just a short post yesterday as you had been working out on garden and then you watered the plants.  You did have a shower of rain during the night but would still need to go and water the plants.  You did manage to get some more done in the garden but still need to have more work to do in it.

Thank you for asking about my back.  I've meant to say that it's much better now.

Another nice day here today so going out to sit in the sun and later do another bit of gardening.

I hope that Rita is having a nice day.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:45 am
gosh I have to take Barry to the club today  I already have a headache due to the weather thunderstorms. we had one yesterday
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:23 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Xjm3ob10    Hi Ladies.

Because of the weather yesterday I had to turn my day around.  Just before I was going to get ready to go to the centre before the club, I took some rubbish outside and there were a few spots of rain and thinking that if we got the rain early and it just might be heavy, then I wouldn't be able to get on with the garden jobs when getting back from the club.  Well those few spots disappeared and so I did a few more small jobs in the garden and finished that about 11.30, then  got ready for the club.  Arrived there about 12.40 taking a raffle prize and a couple more books with me and found another book there that I wanted to read, had a coffee straight away and chatted with some of the members.

Margaret then had a word with all of us, as some of the members had said they would like a trip to the coast this year.  Well Margaret thought it best to leave it until early September, when the children had gone back to school and found out it was cheaper per person to hire one of the larger coaches, rather than the smaller ones, but even then you are looking at a cost of about £800, prices having gone up because for one thing, the higher price of fuel.  Last year we had gone to Skegness that was slightly closer to us here in Northampton and none of them wanted Yarmouth or Clacton, so Sherringham had been decided on.  Now that would mean leaving at 8.30 and not arriving until midday, so you are looking at a 3 and a half hour journey and the same again back, leaving there at 4 in the afternoon, so only 4 hours there.  I definitely won't be booking up for that one, because these days I couldn't be sitting in a coach for that length of time as I need to be moving around every so often.  I know any trip to the coast from where we are in the middle of the country is a bit of a trek, but North Norfolk is about the furthest in that area.  After that information, we had a couple of games and two quizes - first one our team got top marks, but failed miserably on the other one.  

After that off to the centre and because of the heat the bus we were on broke down (overheating) and the driver said that was the second one that day he had to deal with, but eventually got it going and hoped to not have to stop at too many stops and on the way to the centre, there were another couple of buses, going the other way, that had overheated also.  Heat was affecting all of the computer terminals and the one in Boots was taking forever, but eventually got my prescription (which had only arrived that day and not on Frday as was listed), then into a couple of other shops and Tesco to pick up some top up shopping.  Fortunately when I came out of the centre it had rained while I was in there, so I didn't have to face watering in the garden when I got home and I didn't have a long wait for the bus back, but was so thankful to get home because I was feeling really whacked by then. Expected the arthritis pains, but humid weather is the worst for me and I always end up feeling ill, so had a light meal, then bath and had to take 3 pain killers to get any relief last evening, but seeing as I only do that on the very odd occasion, that is okay and thankfully they did work.

Because I settled down quite early I was up at 5 this morning and since then I have been catching up on the computer with emails, etc., and indoor jobs, because I couldn't face any of that last evening and after I have posted on here, then I have one more email I need to answer, get a light lunch and then see what I can do in the garden again.

Dian, I always enjoy that break at the club at the start of the week, but it was the shopping afterward in that humid weather that did me in.  I did win a couple of items in the raffle yesterday, so was lucky there.  There is no way I am getting rid of Lola out of my garden, but she does make herself scarce when I get any tools or the hose out.  Hope it was pleasant in the garden for you yesterday and not as humid as it was here and you have another good day out there today.

Barbara, can agree with you about the humidity because if I hadn't have posted early yesterday, I couldn't have faced it later yesterday when I eventually got home.  See the rain you got yesterday didn't amount to much, but when I got out of the centre, we did appear to have had quite a downpour - several puddles around.  I don't reckon, with the climate change, that we don't have any hope of moderate weather these days, so we now have to face extremely hot weather and then the storms again. What a nuisance David finding those flying ants in the downstairs loo, but glad he managed to deal with it all and get rid of them.  Usual things for you and think at the moment, you are better off doing the walking indoors, away from the sun and see you are keeping up the physio exercises, which can't be much fun in this heat. Yes that was such good news for Rachel about the job and with regard to my feline visitor, she is such a pretty and gentle cat and she does make it so hard to resist letting her indoors.

Jean, see you and Barry are going to the club today and it is another hot one.  Definitely this weather causes headaches and with the storms we get that humidity and that isn't good for any of us.  At least not long to wait for your holiday when you can escape for a while.

Well I did start this in the morning, but it is now 12.20, so better get a move on and hope you all enjoy your day.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:56 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

Well, we have the lovely sunshine back again today and the temperature is definitely going up.  I hope it doesn't go up as much as it did last summer.  I love the heat but that was just too much for me.

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house.  I've also tackled the cryptic crossword but have a lot more to do on it, which I shall attempt to do later on this afternoon.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I've done some reading and have watched TV, including 2 soaps.  David went out on one of his long walks after lunch.  Just after he'd set off, I had a text from Boots, telling me that my prescription was ready for collection.  I told David and he went straight out again to pick it up!  He's now watching a Western.

JEAN,  You have to take Barry to the club today.  You already have a headache due to the weather thunderstorms.  You had one yesterday.

PAULINE, Because of the weather yesterday you had to turn your day around.  Just before you were going to get ready to go to the centre before the club, you took some rubbish outside and there were a few spots of rain and thinking that if we got the rain early and it just might be heavy, then you wouldn't be able to get on with the garden jobs when getting back from the club.  Well those few spots disappeared and so you did a few more small jobs in the garden and finished that about 11.30, then got ready for the club.  Arrived there about 12.40 taking a raffle prize and a couple more books with you and found another book there that you wanted to read, had a coffee straight away and chatted with some of the members.

Margaret then had a word with all of you, as some of the members had said they would like a trip to the coast this year.  Well Margaret thought it best to leave it until early September, when the children had gone back to school and found out it was cheaper per person to hire one of the larger coaches, rather than the smaller ones, but even then you are looking at a cost of about £800, prices having gone up because for one thing, the higher price of fuel.  Last year you had gone to Skegness that was slightly closer to you here in Northampton and none of them wanted Yarmouth or Clacton, so Sherringham had been decided on.  Now that would mean leaving at 8.30 and not arriving until midday, so you are looking at a 3 and a half hour journey and the same again back, leaving there at 4 in the afternoon, so only 4 hours there.  You definitely won't be booking up for that one, because these days you couldn't be sitting in a coach for that length of time as you need to be moving around every so often.  Pauline, I know how that feels!  You know any trip to the coast from where you are in the middle of the country is a bit of a trek, but North Norfolk is about the furthest in that area.  After that information, you had a couple of games and two quizes - first one your team got top marks, but failed miserably on the other one.

fter that off to the centre and because of the heat the bus you were on broke down (overheating) and the driver said that was the second one that day he had to deal with, but eventually got it going and hoped to not have to stop at too many stops and on the way to the centre, there were another couple of buses, going the other way, that had overheated also.  Heat was affecting all of the computer terminals and the one in Boots was taking forever, but eventually got your prescription (which had only arrived that day and not on Frday as was listed), then into a couple of other shops and Tesco to pick up some top up shopping.  Fortunately when you came out of the centre it had rained while you were in there, so you didn't have to face watering in the garden when you got home and you didn't have a long wait for the bus back, but were so thankful to get home because you were feeling really whacked by then. Expected the arthritis pains, but humid weather is the worst for you and you always end up feeling ill, so had a light meal, then bath and had to take 3 pain killers to get any relief last evening, but seeing as you only do that on the very odd occasion, that is okay and thankfully they did work.

Because you settled down quite early you were up at 5 this morning and since then you have been catching up on the computer with emails, etc., and indoor jobs, because you couldn't face any of that last evening and after you have posted on here, then you have one more email you need to answer, get a light lunch and then see what you can do in the garden again.

Regarding what I said yesterday about the rain in the afternoon not amounting to much, in fact we had a thunderstorm after that, with heavy rain, and it went on for ages. To coin a phrase, "It was chucking it down!"

I hope that Dian is having a good day and that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:59 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Fhfxpp30Pauline that was a very busy day you had yesterday and a lot happening at the club .That does seem a very long journeyl  for just a day out .Would not blame you for giving it a miss

Barbara that is nice having the nice warm weather again.You got on with your usual exercises computer work.and watching some tv David did his essential shopping and also picked up your prescription from Boots  when he was out on his long walk'

Jean hope you had a nice day out with Barry.

Sorry another short post but have had a busy day then got an invite to go out with my daughter and had a really nice afternoon tea so after getting home finished scrubbing back door steps and brought in my washing. Son popped in this morning and was pleased to see him as he was 60 today so he got his card.He did say he was calling back later today but I text him I would be going out. Now off to water the pants ......grrrrrr
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:30 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Egujbd10  Good Morning Ladies.  Personal gif this morning as 14th June was my Mum's birthday and usually about this time we would be having a family get-together (possibly a bbq) in her memory, but still garden is work in progress, but getting there.

Yesterday, having done a few early jobs, I came indoors out of that heat and tackled things again when the shade got on one side of the garden and that was sorting out the corner by the back gate, which is overlookd by the terrible council tree and this year it is loaded up with aphids and of course, all the sticky honeydew comes down from them and then the black sooty mold starts covering everything under it - total nightmare - so everything in that corner needed a good sort out and wash down - not finished yet, but looking a whole lot tidier.  I continued on then with the hose and watered the rest of the garden.

I finished up fairly early last evening, full of aches ad pains, not complaining, but that is the way it is in this extreme heat.  Finally went to sleep at midnight and was awake again at 4.50 this morning, so have been up since then getting a few things done, but  I am going back for a couple of hours after posting here and hopefully will feel better after some further rest.  This humidity always affects me badly and despite the sun being up from early I am now feeling shivery and with an unsettled feeling I always get when the humidity is bad.  We hardly ever get a really dry heat in this country, because of all the rain we get.

Jean, hope you and Barry enjoyed the club yesterday.

Dian, busy day for you yesterday with a nice break for afternon tea out with your daughter and your son looked in also, as it was his 60th birthday and he got his card.  After you got back it was on with more outdoor work of cleaning the steps, getting the washing in and then having to water the plants - same as me.  Enjoy your club this morning.

Barbara, this sudden plunge into such extreme heat, is too much to take and really tiring for all of us, so I see you got on with your usual things indoors, but David got in one of his long walks -I certainly couldn't have faced anything like that yesterday.  He also went out again after the walk to pick up the prescription for you.  I see you got a thunderstorm after that light rain the other day, but for me when I was in the shopping centre, I found it had rained quite hard, but I didn't hear any thunder when I was in there, although the wind was getting up on the way there.  Anyway no rain again yesterday, so out came the hose again as all the plants and seedlings were drying out.  

Well I know it is now 8.40 in the morning, but I have been up for nearly 4 hours and I am going to see if I can get a couple more hours sleep as I had such a short night.  Have a good day all of you.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:18 am
my car is playing up again in that it will not start. today found men working nearby at the lampos t hope they have gone if I go out with the car.
I  hope you get some more sleep Pauline
love the heat but on the beach
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:15 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Gtfday16Pauline Nice photo and nice to have those good memories .Hope you have caught up with yourself and need to be wary in this hot weather It certainly cheers us up when you can see the difference with all the hard work you have put in.

Jean not long now till your off on your break.Great to look forward to

Barbara I am sure you and David will be enjoying the nice weather and maybe manage a nice walk when it is a bit cooler.

not long in from Wed club .I did have a small win.I will sit in the shade and read a magazine as really too warm to work in garden .Maybe get some work done if it cools down.Even the cat staying in the shade .enjoy your day ladies
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:39 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

Once again, we have beautiful sunshine and it's nice and warm although I could do without the humidity.  It's very unpleasant.

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I haven't done my physio exercises today, as I have a stiff and painful neck.  It may be due to the arthritis, or it may be that I've slept awkwardly.  Whichever, it's so painful.  I've done some reading and have watched some TV, in particular a couple of soaps.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I haven't yet tackled the cryptic crossword but will do so later this afternoon.  I've also walked around the downstairs of our house.  David went to the terrain this morning to play in the club session.  He was a bit quiet when he came home and so it's my guess that he hadn't done very well.

Also this morning, I phoned the GP surgery to try and find out if and when I'll be having the Covid jab at home.  It appears that the situation has changed yet again and it's now back to the District Nurses to deliver and administer the jabs to patients in their homes, and not the GPs.  They must've changed their minds about it, I suppose.  It's all getting a bit urgent now, as the deadline for the jabs to be given is 30 June!  I do wonder if it will definitely take place.

DIAN, Sorry another short post yesterday but have had a busy day then got an invite to go out with your daughter and had a really nice afternoon tea so after getting home finished scrubbing back door steps and brought in your washing.  Son popped in in the morning and you were pleased to see him as it was his 60th birthday so he got his card.  He did say he was calling back later in the day but you text him you would be going out.  Now off to water the plants ......grrrrrr

Not long in from Wed club.  You did have a small win.  You will sit in the shade and read a magazine as really too warm to work in garden.  Maybe get some work done if it cools down.  Even the cat staying in the shade.

PAULINE, Personal gif this morning as 14th June was your Mum's birthday and usually about this time you would be having a family get-together (possibly a bbq) in her memory, but still garden is work in progress, but getting there.

Yesterday, having done a few early jobs, you came indoors out of that heat and tackled things again when the shade got on one side of the garden and that was sorting out the corner by the back gate, which is overlooked by the terrible council tree and this year it is loaded up with aphids and of course, all the sticky honeydew comes down from them and then the black sooty mold starts covering everything under it - total nightmare - so everything in that corner needed a good sort out and wash down - not finished yet, but looking a whole lot tidier.  You continued on then with the hose and watered the rest of the garden.

You finished up fairly early last evening, full of aches ad pains, not complaining, but that is the way it is in this extreme heat.  Finally went to sleep at midnight and was awake again at 4.50 this morning, so have been up since then getting a few things done, but you are going back for a couple of hours after posting here and hopefully will feel better after some further rest.  This humidity always affects you badly and despite the sun being up from early you were then feeling shivery and with an unsettled feeling you always get when the humidity is bad.  We hardly ever get a really dry heat in this country, because of all the rain we get.

You had no rain again yesterday, so out came the hose again as all the plants and seedlings were drying out.

JEAN, Your car is playing up again in that it will not start.  Today found men working nearby at the lamppost.  Hope they have gone if you go out with the car.

You love the heat but on the beach.

I hope that Rita is having a good day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:49 am
wow dog decided to get up at 6amd and then go back to sleep I kept awake. been out for the dog  walk early and it is so hot.
hopefully it will cool down a bit next week as I am nearer the sea
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:54 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Alsskz25 Well it is another lovely day with the sun shining and nice blue skies .
Pauline hope you are having a nice day .No doubt you will be busy. do hope your aches and pains not too bad .There is always work to be done in the garden .

Jean not long now till your off on holiday.

Barbara see you also still have the nice weather..Sorry about your painful neck so do hope it does not last long. and you can start your exercises again .You did work on your computer and got work on your phone also walked around downstairs Hope you finished the cryptic crossword. David visited the terrain but you think he did not do very well .Better luck next time .Sorry you still have not had your booster yet so do hope you have it soon

Now off to get on with much needed housework as daughter picking me up in the afternoon to go shopping as she will be at a wedding tomorrow .After shopping having  a barbeque at her house then home .Looking forward to it Have a good day all
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:21 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 H91xb310  Good Morning All.

Yesterday before I started the garden work again, I got out my massage therapy pad and sat with my feet on it for about 20 minutes and that did help with the circulation in the legs and eased the knees, so will do that again today before I go out there to continue on.  

After the shade got in that awkward corner by the back gate, I continued on with that and did some reconstructing.  There used to be the old shed there and when I had that removed and the wall taken down on the other side of the garden, I used the bricks (about 3 layers of them) on that site, covered them with landscape felt and covered the lot with large pebbles.  The edges were held back by breeze blocks (painted to make them look smarter) and gradually over the years some of the pebbles and dirt have worked down and pushed the breeze blocks out a bit further, so having had the back gate repaired I got to and pulled out the first two breeze blocks near the gate, got out all of the stones and dirt and put the breeeze blocks back where they should be and that gives the gate more clearance room when it is open.

In that corner I also sorted out the old recycling boxes that contained honeysuckle and a passion flower vine and got all of that hooked up on the trellis on the side fence, replanted the two grasses in their planters and that meant giving Henry a haircut (that was my old Henry casing that I used as a planter when it broke down).  Eventually I am satisfied with the work that was done there, although honestly, with that awful tree causing so much damage, there is only so much that can be done to keep it reasonable and that is why I use the recycling boxes in that area and none of my good planters.

Today have gone through the emails and answered my daughter and arranged a visit from her during one day next week, cleared the surveys and received a £25 voucher for Amazon from the Life Points surveys that I do and got that on my Amazon acount - reminds me that it makes it worthwhile doing some of these surveys, even though they can be tedious.

Jean hope the men had gone from working in the street when you got the car out and hope that got working in the end for you.  I did try and get some more sleep, but just rested for an hour with my feet up and felt better after that.  That is so true, the heat is a lot more bearable when you are near the sea with a breeze coming off of that and just home it is lovely reasonable weather for your holiday starting this weekend.

Hope Rita and her daughter and son-i-l  are enjoying their break this week and weather has certainly been good for them.

Dian,  thanks for your remarks about the photo of my Mum.  With this humidity around I do know when to gve in and rest up for a while, but yesterday it was that much cooler with a pleasant breeze, so was able to get on in the shade in the afternoon and can't say I am over the moon with that corner section of my garden, but it certainly looks a whole lot better. See you did get a win yesterday (although it was one of the smaller ones) and you were going to sit in the garden and read for a while, before you attempted any work out there and see Duke stayed in the shade.  Lola here kept moving around to find the coolest spots and then went and investigated that part of the garden I had just cleared - they are so nosy these cats and have to check out anything new.

Barbara, yes that humidity isn't at all welcome, but yesterday and today it doesn't seem so bad here.  David did the necessary shopping, but you gave a miss to the exercises because of a painful neck - doesn't take long just to lay the wrong way for a while and the arthritis soon starts in that area and hope it is better today for you.  You noticed that David was a bit quiet when he returned home from the club session, so you reckon it didn't go as well for him as it usually does.  I hope you have finally got the covid jab sorted - I have heard nothing further.

Well it has just gone midday and think I will get a sandwich, make a coffee and sit down with my feet on the massager again and also read my book for a while, before I do anything energetic today and hope you all have a good day.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:14 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We still have the lovely sunny weather and it's so good to not keep feeling cold, like I've been doing, and to not need to put the central heating on.  At least it'll keep the energy bills down while the good weather lasts!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I still have a stiff and painful neck but I've been gently exercising it and David bought me some Neurone capsules, which are also helping.  I find it awkward lying down in bed as my head just can't seem to find a comfortable position.   It should be better tonight.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house and that helps my knees.  I've tacked the cryptic crossword but have quite a bit more to do on it, which I will do later this afternoon.  I've also done some reading and have watched some TV.  I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my. laptop and have completed some of the puzzles in this week's Take A Break, with still more to do.  David is now watching a Western on the TV.

JEAN, Wow dog decided to get up at 6am and then go back to sleep.  You kept awake.  Been out for the dog walk early and it is so hot.  Hopefully it will cool down a bit next week as you are nearer the sea.

DIAN, After posting, you went off to get on with much needed housework as daughter picking you up in the afternoon to go shopping as she will be at a wedding tomorrow.  After shopping having  a barbeque at her house then home.  Looking forward to it.

PAULINE, Yesterday before you started the garden work again, you got out your massage therapy pad and sat with your feet on it for about 20 minutes and that did help with the circulation in the legs and eased the knees, so will do that again today before you go out there to continue on.

After the shade got in that awkward corner by the back gate, you continued on with that and did some reconstructing.  There used to be the old shed there and when you had that removed and the wall taken down on the other side of the garden, you used the bricks (about 3 layers of them) on that site, covered them with landscape felt and covered the lot with large pebbles.  The edges were held back by breeze blocks (painted to make them look smarter) and gradually over the years some of the pebbles and dirt have worked down and pushed the breeze blocks out a bit further, so having had the back gate repaired you got to and pulled out the first two breeze blocks near the gate, got out all of the stones and dirt and put the breeze blocks back where they should be and that gives the gate more clearance room when it is open.

In that corner you also sorted out the old recycling boxes that contained honeysuckle and a passion flower vine and got all of that hooked up on the trellis on the side fence, replanted the two grasses in their planters and that meant giving Henry a haircut (that was your old Henry casing that you used as a planter when it broke down).  Eventually you are satisfied with the work that was done there, although honestly, with that awful tree causing so much damage, there is only so much that can be done to keep it reasonable and that is why you use the recycling boxes in that area and none of your good planters.

Today have gone through the emails and answered your daughter and arranged a visit from her during one day next week, cleared the surveys and received a £25 voucher for Amazon from the Life Points surveys that you do and got that on your Amazon account - reminds you that it makes it worthwhile doing some of these surveys, even though they can be tedious.

I agree with you that that humidity isn't at all welcome, but yesterday and today it doesn't seem so bad here either.  I may well have lain awkwardly in bed and that may have started the arthritis off.  Hopefully I'll have a better sleep tonight.

Well it has just gone midday and you made a sandwich and a coffee and sat down with your feet on the massager again and also read your book for a while, before doing anything energetic today.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:34 am
well it is so hot yet again and it is early. went on the Wellibus to Overstone Manor and had a meal
should I pack a swimsuit?  then it  will surely rain
see you all after the 24th
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:31 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Pfmw1o10
Well June is certainly the month of the roses this year and mine are blooming so well.  Had to water again last evening before finishing up in the garden. Yesterday, in  between escaping from the sun to sit indoors and read for a while (and another book finished), I had a good sort out of two large crates under the old work table in the sideway.  A few years back when that car went through the fence and then when the section all along the sideway by the house, had to be replaced after a storm, there were several ornaments and items on those fences that needed attention and for the time being they got shoved in a couple of crates.  Well sorting out time arrived and I got a lot of them put into the rubbish and there are a few good ones that need attenton and now that lot all fit in one crate, for attention at a later date, so more space made.  Today I should get on with some more planters.

Jean, I would definitely pack the swimsuit and enjoy the weather while it lasts and have a good holiday in Norfolk.  See you also made the most of yesterday and went out on the Wellibus to Overstone Manor and enjoyed a meal there.  Let us know how everthing goes on your holiday when you get back on 24th.  

Dian, because your daughter has a wedding to attend today, you went shopping with her yesterday and hope you enjoyed that and found some bargains, then you were off for a bbq at her house and you were looking forward to that.

Barbara, hope those capsules helped with regard to the neck pain, that David got for you while out shopping, but you still got on with usual things  including getting in some reading and watching t v.  I seem to be getting through a lot of books at a pace, so more for the club members or the honesty library at the centre, where they raise funds for Macmillan.

Have a good day Ladies and good wishes for your journey to start your holiday Jean.  Coffee for me next and then to the garden again and more tidying.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:20 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Eyffgs75Another nice day but think we might have rain soon .The ground does need it

Pauline well done with all that garden work which you have got done .Laughed at Lola still visiting you. Good you got indoors to do some reading .Also see you will be busy in the garden today. Hope all went well with the planters

Jean enjoy your break and hope weather stays nice for you

Barbara David did the essential shopping and got you capsules for your neck pain .Hope you have a better nights sleep.You are still walking around downstairs  Also you got on with your usual daily work.Also did computer work on your phone and laptop and tackled the cryptic crossword .Well done with the puzzles in Take a Break .David watched a western on TV

Another very hot day but think we could maybe get thunder and rain soon.........Have a good weekend all
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:57 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We still have the gorgeous sunny weather and I'm loving it!  It's so good not being cold all the time!  The humidity is a bit much for me, I'll admit, though.

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house to help with the stiffness in the knees.  The pain isn't quite so bad now that the weather's warmed up but the stiffness is still as bad.  I've also done some reading and watched some TV.  I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop and have completed a few more puzzles in Take A Break.  I've almost finished them and then will submit them online, probably tomorrow.  My neck and shoulder are a lot better now but I've carried on for the time being with the gentle exercise and will continue taking the nurofen capsules for today and then see how my neck is.  David is now watching a Western.

JEAN, Well it is so hot yet again and it is early. went on the Wellibus to Overstone Manor and had a meal.

Should you pack a swimsuit?  Then it  will surely rain.  See you all after the 24th.  Have a lovely time, Jean!

PAULINE, Well June is certainly the month of the roses this year and yours are blooming so well.  Had to water again last evening before finishing up in the garden. Yesterday, in  between escaping from the sun to sit indoors and read for a while (and another book finished), you had a good sort out of two large crates under the old work table in the sideway.  A few years back when that car went through the fence and then when the section all along the sideway by the house, had to be replaced after a storm, there were several ornaments and items on those fences that needed attention and for the time being they got shoved in a couple of crates.  Well sorting out time arrived and you got a lot of them put into the rubbish and there are a few good ones that need attenton and now that lot all fit in one crate, for attention at a later date, so more space made.  Today you should get on with some more planters.

Well done on donating your read books to the honesty library at the centre, where they raise funds for Macmillan!

DIAN, You're having another nice but hot day and you think you could maybe get thunder and rain soon.  The ground does need the rain.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:43 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 0t3jot11 Hello Ladies  This morning is cooler and cloudy with a bit of sun here and there and probably getting ready for the downpour forecast for tomorrow, but wondering if that might arrive today. 

Yesterday was far too hot to work out in the garden in the afternoon, so got some more tidying up done on the work table in the morning and went indoors and waited until about 5.45 in the evening and worked out there until just before 9.45 until the daylight started fading.  I know I am probably doing everthing at the wrong time of the year, but managed to dig a deep hole and transfer one of my cherry trees from a large planter and put straight into the ground.  I will try and get the second one transferred today, because neither of them have done very well in planters.  I now have several large planters left over to use, but just might leave them empty for a while, because there are several other medium size ones ready for putting the seedlings in.

There was another crate where I had stored some large offcuts of 4 x 4 fence support poles and in the past had used them, criss cross on top of one another with a spare ceramic tile on the top and they give a rather Japanese style ornamental look and I placed them in the corner under the offending tree, where I cannot do much and there is now a planter on the top which has one of the ornamental grasses in, so makes things look a bit better in that corner and that cleared another crate.  I can now see the benefit of the work I have done so far and am happy with it, but still plenty to do.

Got a message from the dentists yesterday to say that my dentist was on paternity leave, so phoned them and re-arranged the appointment for August 22nd so that gives me next Tuesday free all day for my jobs and Susi will be popping in on the Friday for a catch up, so will phone Ann and arrange to see her during next week and later spoke to Stephen and they will be away from 24th June for a week's holiday in Turkey, before Rachel starts her new job.

Dian you had another nice day yesterday, but were expecting rain and we do need it - lets hope it arrives during the night and not the full storms that we are forecast.  As you can see from above, I got a lot more done, but left most of the work until the cool of the evening and spent quite a bit of time reading indoors.

Barbara, it is so good to feel warmer, but yesterday just got too much for me to handle and escaped back indoors all afternoon and as you say, the humidity is too much to put up with.  You talking about the stiffness in your knees, it isn't going to get any better with the dampness from the humidity and my hips were really playing up yesterday - would be so nice if we could get dry heat for a while, but here we go again with storms threatened and that means more humidity after them, when the sun shines again.  I see that your neck is feeling that much better and hope that continues.  That Honesty Library in our shopping centre, is a good place to give books too and also pay a reasonable price for other ones to read and raise funds for Macmillan and at the moment I am never short of books to read from them and other club members.

I expect Rita and family are on their way home from the holiday and hope that Jean's has started well and now I must away Ladies if I am to get plenty of jobs done today and hope you all enjoy your weekend.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:35 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We have the lovely sunshine here again today but it's a bit cooler and presumably that must mean that it's not as humid now, which can only be a good thing.  I much preferred the heat in Spain when I went there on a few holidays (a long time ago!).

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  My neck is feeling a bit better but I've left off the Nurofen capsules as I don't want to take too many of them.  I shall continue with the gentle exercise.  I'm certainly sleeping a bit better now that my head is comfortable on the pillow.  Jane suffers from that too and went to a private physiotherapist to try and get help but it wasn't really making any difference and at the same time was costing her a fortune!  It may be that my neck discomfort is due to arthritis, as I know I have that in my neck.

I've been walking around the downstairs of our house to try and help my knees to not get too stiff but it's a losing battle really.  All I can do is keep trying.  I've also done some reading and watched some TV.  Additionally, I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I've also submitted the answers to the puzzles in Take A Break online.  It'd be nice to have a win!

David has gone to the terrain to play in the club session.  He went there yesterday but lost both of the games that he played.  Let's hope he does better today!

I had a text from Andrew this morning saying that the rain had just arrived there.  We've had none here so far but tomorrow is supposed to be not a good day, with possible thunderstorms.  Oh what joy!

PAULINE, This morning was cooler and cloudy with a bit of sun here and there and probably getting ready for the downpour forecast for tomorrow, but you are wondering if that might arrive today.

Yesterday was far too hot to work out in the garden in the afternoon, so you got some more tidying up done on the work table in the morning and went indoors and waited until about 5.45 in the evening and worked out there until just before 9.45 until the daylight started fading.  You know you are probably doing everything at the wrong time of the year, but managed to dig a deep hole and transfer one of your cherry trees from a large planter and put straight into the ground.  You will try and get the second one transferred today, because neither of them have done very well in planters.  You now have several large planters left over to use, but just might leave them empty for a while, because there are several other medium size ones ready for putting the seedlings in.

There was another crate where you had stored some large offcuts of 4 x 4 fence support poles and in the past had used them, criss cross on top of one another with a spare ceramic tile on the top and they give a rather Japanese style ornamental look and you placed them in the corner under the offending tree, where you cannot do much and there is now a planter on the top which has one of the ornamental grasses in, so makes things look a bit better in that corner and that cleared another crate.  You can now see the benefit of the work you have done so far and are happy with it, but still plenty to do.

Got a message from the dentists yesterday to say that your dentist was on paternity leave, so phoned them and re-arranged the appointment for August 22nd so that gives you next Tuesday free all day for your jobs and Susi will be popping in on the Friday for a catch up, so will phone Ann and arrange to see her during next week and later spoke to Stephen and they will be away from 24th June for a week's holiday in Turkey, before Rachel starts her new job.

I see that we're both suffering from the humidity at the moment.  Oh for some nice dry heat!

I hope that Jean is enjoying her holiday and that Rita and her family will be on their way home now after enjoying their holiday too.  I also hope Dian is having a good day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:38 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Ijic0m10Good Morning Ladies.

I woke up at 6.45 this morning and the rain started at 7.00.  It was heavy for the first 5 minutes, but then became very light, but did go on for the next hour, but really we do need more and last night I dodged watering in the hope we would get the rain.

I completed the tidying of the sideway yesterday and got rid of a lot more rubbish and put everything undercover that is needed, so that is much better to look at. I had also wanted to transplant that second cherry tree, but this weather and the growth it is creating, got in the way.  At the end of the patio where that ivy runs, plus the honeysuckle, the ivy had got so heavy that it had broken the main piece of wood it runs on from post to post and because of that, the piece of wood I had put diagonally across from the wall post to that piece of wood, had got dislodged and honeysuckle was draped everywhere.  So that is the job I tackled and have cut back loads of the ivy, but still need to do more and in fact, am going to be far more ruthless with the ivy and possibly let the honeysuckle take up a bit more room.  Anyway the sun is now out, so we will see what I can accomplish today,  but I do know I need to get indoors a bit earlier today (worked until quite late again yesterday evening), beause I need to shampoo and set my hair after being amongst all of that greenery.

Dian, Hope you are enjoying your weekend and thank you for the emails - gave me a laugh and the story one was really good to read.  I don't know if you got the threatened storms, but we did get some rain at last this morning.

Barbara, It has cooled off this morning since the rain, but expect we will get the humidity back now that the sun is out and the rain arrived.  See you were still enjoying the sunshne yesterday.  Glad to read your neck is that much better, but you are still keeping to gentle exercises only.  Good luck with the entry of the Take a Break Mag Puzzles.

Hope to hear from Rita about how her holiday went and expect Jean is enjoying her break.  Enjoy your Sunday Ladies and I must away - another coffee first and then on with the garden jobs.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:04 am
Good Morning everyone!

We have lovely weather here once again.  Thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon but you never know, we may not get them!

David went out early this morning to buy a newspaper and a few bits and pieces.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house and have also been gently exercising my neck.  If I don't, it does get stiff and painful again.  I can't keep taking Nurofen.  I've also done some reading and have watched some TV.  Additionally, I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I haven't yet tackled the general knowledge quiz in the TV magazine but will do that later on today.  David has gone to the terrain to play in the club session.  Yesterday, he played 3 games and lost all of them.  I hope he's not losing the plot!

PAULINE, You woke up at 6.45 this morning and the rain started at 7.00.  It was heavy for the first 5 minutes, but then became very light, but did go on for the next hour, but really we do need more and last night you dodged watering in the hope we would get the rain.

You completed the tidying of the sideway yesterday and got rid of a lot more rubbish and put everything undercover that is needed, so that is much better to look at. You had also wanted to transplant that second cherry tree, but this weather and the growth it is creating, got in the way.  At the end of the patio where that ivy runs, plus the honeysuckle, the ivy had got so heavy that it had broken the main piece of wood it runs on from post to post and because of that, the piece of wood you had put diagonally across from the wall post to that piece of wood, had got dislodged and honeysuckle was draped everywhere.  So that is the job you tackled and have cut back loads of the ivy, but still need to do more and in fact, am going to be far more ruthless with the ivy and possibly let the honeysuckle take up a bit more room.  Anyway the sun is now out, so we will see what you can accomplish today,  but you do know you need to get indoors a bit earlier today (worked until quite late again yesterday evening), because you need to shampoo and set your hair after being amongst all of that greenery.

We still have the lovely sunny weather together with, unfortunately, the humidity.  There's always something to spoil it, isn't there!

I expect Jean is enjoying her holiday and I hope that Rita enjoyed hers with her family.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:08 am
Apologies from me - I didn't mention that I hope that Dian is having a good day!
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:04 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 1o3wsa46Pauline see you  still have got one cherry tree to still plant up.You must be very pleased garden looking so much better  Yes the ivy can take over if not kept in check .Reminds me I will need to tackle my ivy We had a thunderstorm the other night but still think not enough rain .Think we just might get rain later today.........I hope

Jean hope all is fine with your break

Barbara David did the  shopping this morning and you gently exercised your neck otherwise it will get stiff and painful You watched some tv and done some reading  also some  work on your computer and phone and laptop .You still have more work to do .Do hope David wins today

Quite a pleasant morning but think we will get rain later. I am going to hang out a small washing then have a nice snack
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:29 am
Hello Everyone - Page 20 Z10
Hell Ladies,  

After that first lot of rain yesterday the sun arrived and I thought there wasn't any point in carrying on with the maintenance on the ivy framework and getting rid of more of the ivy and being surrounded with wet cuttings if the rain came back, so I worked on more of the planters and got six of them sorted and plants and seedlings into them and that happened to be the best job to do, because in the afternoon the thunder started and I cleared the tools away quicly and came in, just in time as the rain started and this time it was quite heavy, so pleased with that lot of work.

Once in I cleared the emails and paperwork and sorted out ready for today and I will try to get to the centre early to get some top up shopping and then off to the club.  More books for the centre honesty library and one for any member who would like it.  I have also got to sort out a raffle prize before I go.

Barbara, well we did get the thunderstorm, but not so bad and the rain was welcome and expect it arrived your way too, as forecast.  Not a good day for David, because he lost all of the games he played, which isn't usual for him and you have kept on moving as best you can, with walking around downstairs and gentle exercises, because you feel you cannot keep taking the Nurofen.  I know I am not helping myself, with all of the garden work, but it has got to be done and must admit, I am taking a couple of the pain killers each night before I settle down, but does help to get moving in the morning without too much pain.

Dian, although it has been hard work so far to get the garden in order this year, I am happy with what I have achieved and am winning with regard to the back garden - still got the front garden to get under control and there are a lot of shrubs waiting for some hard pruning.  Hope you did get the rain to save any watering, because we did need it, but hope you got the washing dry before it arrived.

Must away now and get ready for getting to the centre early and hope you have a good start to the week.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:32 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 20 1i6fjy80Pauline you certainly have got the garden up to date in the back. Hope  you have a win at the Mon. club.

Hope Jean is having a nice time.

Barbara do hope David wins at the terrain today. Just know you will be busy with exercises and competitions in Take a Break .Hoping that your neck has eased off as know how painful that can be

Turned out another pleasant morning and it has rained during the night so will try and get some more gardening done.Pleased I got my back hedge trimmed down again but there is plenty more to be done and maybe I might start on the front.Will see how much I can manage before back gives in. Have a good day ladies
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum