Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Hello Everyone - Page 21 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We have yet another day of lovely sunshine although we did have some cloud cover this morning, but fortunately it didn't last very long.  I had a text this morning from Andrew who said that they didn't have any sunshine in Southend and could I send him some of the London variety!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've kept gently exercising my neck and that does help but I do have to keep at it.  I've also been walking around the downstairs of our house to try and keep my knees in order.  I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop and have watched some TV and done some reading.  I've tackled the cryptic crossword but didn't do very well with it.  I shall have another go later on this afternoon.  David did a lot better at Petanque yesterday, winning all 3 games that he played!  Well done to him!  He's now watching tennis on the TV.

DIAN, Yesterday you had quite a pleasant morning but thought you would get rain later. You hung out a small washing then had a nice snack.

Turned out another pleasant morning and it had rained during the night so will try and get some more gardening done.  You're pleased you got your back hedge trimmed down again but there is plenty more to be done and maybe you might start on the front.  Will see how much you can manage before back gives in.  I hope and pray for you that it doesn't!

PAULINE, After that first lot of rain yesterday the sun arrived and you thought there wasn't any point in carrying on with the maintenance on the ivy framework and getting rid of more of the ivy and being surrounded with wet cuttings if the rain came back, so you worked on more of the planters and got six of them sorted and plants and seedlings into them and that happened to be the best job to do, because in the afternoon the thunder started and you cleared the tools away quicly and came in, just in time as the rain started and this time it was quite heavy, so pleased with that lot of work.

Once in you cleared the emails and paperwork and sorted out ready for today and you will try to get to the centre early to get some top up shopping and then off to the club.  More books for the centre honesty library and one for any member who would like it.  You have also got to sort out a raffle prize before you go.

I hope that Jean is enjoying her holiday and that Rita is having a good day.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:26 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Gal_mu15
Hello Ladies.  Woke up to find it had been raining for quite a while and it still continued on this morning.  It has stopped now, but is a dull gloomy day after the lovely sunshine of yesterday, but rain was needed.  Everything I have put in the tubs and planters seem to have taken well and the cherry tree I got into the ground seems quite happy.  I still have the second one to transplant and the ivy to finish cutting back, plus a new piece of wood to replace the broken part on the frame and then try and get the honeysuckle back in order, but today isn't really a good day to work on it, so have been getting on with paperwork this morning and have some phone calls to catch up on this afternoon.

Yesterday I started off early to the shopping centre and took three small bags of rubbish with me (cleared from the front path leading to my front door and some other litter on the back bank that was blowing around) and was taking that to the litter bin by the bus stop, only to find the one on my side of the road was full, so crossed over and there was room in that one to get rid of the rubbish and when I crossed back to my side I found our bin had been emptied and saw the man emptying the one I had just used, so went back home, pulled up a lot more weeds on our public pathway and more outside the back gate and as far as I am concerned this is the council's job that they don't do, so all of that got dumped in the litter bin by my bus stop and off I went to the centre.  

The council contractors are doing less and less and as far as their gardening that should get done, I am not paying £55 a year for a fortnightly collection for them to take away the work they should have done.  I am doing this work for them and getting more upset about this lack of care from them. Along that pathway in front of the row of our four houses and opposite the last two, there is a small section of what should have been an ornamental garden which was only for low shrubs and now there are two large trees growing there (one of them a sycamore).  Retaining walls alongside the carpark opposite the last two houses in my row, are cracking and steps leading from the car park are packed with weeds.  If I do have to go out there with my tree loppers and cut those two trees down, into small pieces and then fill the council litter bins with them, they might just start getting the message.  That is me growling for today..............

After getting the shopping done at the centre I caught the bus home, put the shopping away and then had time to get a coffee and sit down for a while.  Then it was get ready for the club, books to take for other members and a raffle prize to sort and off I went and guess what, yes another lot of rubbish collected on the way and that got put into the cleared bin by the bus stop on the other side of the road - felt really wickedly happy about doing that Evil or Very Mad. Enjoyed the company, cuppa, cake and a natter and we played indoor curling - this time our team lost, but only by one point and then we had a quiz and we came second and I came home with a jar of whisky flavoured marmalade, won in the raffle (not that I like whisky, but am sure that Stephen will enjoy that on his toast).  Quite a bit of catching up with emails and paperwork in the evening and enjoyed a hot bath (because was aching by then) and into bed and caught up on some recorded t v.

Dian see you got rain the night before last, but followed by a pleasant day and you were going to get some more gardening done and was thinking about tackling the front garden - mine really needs a lot of work done on it, when I have finished the back.  Can see you were pleased you got the back hedge trimmed- trouble is, everything still keeps on growing and as fast as you get around another secton of the garden, you have to go back from where you started and do more triming.  I only won the whisky marmalade in the raffle yesterday, but it was still a win.

Barbara, I see that Andrew was asking for some of the London sunshine, as they didn't have any in Southend yesterday.  David did the early shopping and then did better at Petanque the day before and won 3 games.  You were still carrying on with gentle exercising and walking around indoors, got on with work on the computer and mobile phone and enjoyed reading and catching up on some t v and doing the puzzles.

Well must away now Ladies and hope the day goes well for all of you and Jean is enjoying her holiday.

BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:35 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had a thunderstorm very early this morning with heavy rain and it went on for seemingly forever!  It did stop eventually and then the sun came out.  The sky has kept on going dark but so far there's been no more rain.

David couldn't get out to do the shopping nice and early but he went out as soon as it stopped raining and bought a few bits including a newspaper.  My neck is still stiff and painful and I keep gently exercising it, which helps as a temporary measure but then I have to exercise it all over again.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house to try and ameliorate the stiffness in my knees.  I've also done some reading and watched some TV.  Additionally, I've done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  I've tackled the cryptic crossword in the newspaper but have still more to do on it.  I shall have another go later this afternoon.  David has just come back from one of his long walks and is now watching Royal Ascot on the TV.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I'd been on to the vaccine service again before coming online.  I told the person at the vaccine service the saga of my trying to get a jab given to me at home, which I'm eligible for.  She was very helpful and took all my details and then transferred me to someone who could help me book a slot.  That person told me that I'd be hearing from the booking service within the next couple of days, who'd give me an appointment.  She did add, though, that in some areas they've run out of the vaccine and that could happen in my area too.  The vaccine roll out will finish at the end of this month, which is now only 10 days away and so it's now "fingers crossed" time.  I must say that I've found it all very disorganised this time, unlike the roll outs that have occurred earlier and I'll be very disappointed and annoyed not to have the vaccine after all this palaver!

PAULINE, You woke up to find it had been raining for quite a while and it still continued on this morning.  It had stopped by the time you posted, but is a dull gloomy day after the lovely sunshine of yesterday, but rain was needed.  Everything you have put in the tubs and planters seem to have taken well and the cherry tree you got into the ground seems quite happy.  You still have the second one to transplant and the ivy to finish cutting back, plus a new piece of wood to replace the broken part on the frame and then try and get the honeysuckle back in order, but today isn't really a good day to work on it, so got on with paperwork this morning and have some phone calls to catch up on this afternoon.

Yesterday you started off early to the shopping centre and took three small bags of rubbish with you (cleared from the front path leading to your front door and some other litter on the back bank that was blowing around) and was taking that to the litter bin by the bus stop, only to find the one on my side of the road was full, so crossed over and there was room in that one to get rid of the rubbish and when you crossed back to your side you found your bin had been emptied and saw the man emptying the one you had just used, so went back home, pulled up a lot more weeds on your public pathway and more outside the back gate and as far as you are concerned this is the council's job that they don't do, so all of that got dumped in the litter bin by your bus stop and off you went to the centre.

The council contractors are doing less and less and as far as their gardening that should get done, you are not paying £55 a year for a fortnightly collection for them to take away the work they should have done.  You are doing this work for them and getting more upset about this lack of care from them. Along that pathway in front of the row of your four houses and opposite the last two, there is a small section of what should have been an ornamental garden which was only for low shrubs and now there are two large trees growing there (one of them a sycamore).  Retaining walls alongside the carpark opposite the last two houses in your row, are cracking and steps leading from the car park are packed with weeds.  If you do have to go out there with your tree loppers and cut those two trees down, into small pieces and then fill the council litter bins with them, they might just start getting the message.  That is you growling for today..............

After getting the shopping done at the centre you caught the bus home, put the shopping away and then had time to get a coffee and sit down for a while.  Then it was get ready for the club, books to take for other members and a raffle prize to sort and off you went and guess what, yes another lot of rubbish collected on the way and that got put into the cleared bin by the bus stop on the other side of the road - felt really wickedly happy about doing that.  Enjoyed the company, cuppa, cake and a natter and we played indoor curling - this time your team lost, but only by one point and then you had a quiz and you came second and you came home with a jar of whisky flavoured marmalade, won in the raffle (not that you like whisky, but are sure that Stephen will enjoy that on his toast).  Quite a bit of catching up with emails and paperwork in the evening and enjoyed a hot bath (because was aching by then) and into bed and caught up on some recorded t v.

I hope that Dian is having a good day; that Jean is enjoying her holiday; and that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:35 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 2f2p5z11
Hello Ladies on Midsummer's Day and the longest stretch of daylight we get each year.  I was up early again and got another load of my old gardening clothes washed at the cheaper early rate (plenty of them too and definitely not the height of fashion Rolling Eyes), sorted the emails and surveys (none suitable for me to do, which saves time today) and am aiming for more garden jobs today.

Yesterday I caught up on the phone calls and spoke to Ann (that friend of mine that is now getting heavier treatment because of the cancer) and have arranged to see her about 11 tomorrow morning and after that might call into B & M to see if there are any suitable plants for my two largest planters, having got the cherry tree out of one of them and plan to get the other one transplanted into the garden today.  Will make the most of today in the garden as the weather is good again, and what with going out tomorrow for part of the day and having Susi calling in on Friday, there won't be much time for garden work again until Saturday.  Yesterday I did get a small amount of work done out there when it started drying up from the rain, but that was just to collect together all of the pots and planters that are empty and having checked the rubbish collection site for my council, on the internet, I found out that we can now put polystyrene packaging in our black bin and I have had a sack full of that still left over from when I had the kitchen packaging to deal with and sorted through that and got it into two new rubbish bags and put them in my black bin ready for collection next week, so more space made.  

Hope you have a lucky time at your club today Dian and get a win.

Jean is certainly getting good weather for her holiday and I am hoping to hear from Rita about her trip with family.

Barbara, I see you got the rain yesterday morning like me, but you had the thunderstorm with it.  David had to leave it until later to get the shopping, because of the downpour and you were still keeping up the gentle exercises yesterday and hope at last you may have sorted out the vaccine - I still am no further forward with that one.

Well must away Ladies and hope today goes well for you.    
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:35 am
Good Morning everyone!

The weather is beautiful again here, with that lovely sunshine and no sign of any rain or thunderstorms, not for today, anyway.

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  He's now gone to the terrain as it's a club session morning.  I had a text from Andrew this morning, saying he hoped that Dad would win all his games.  It's a standing joke between us,  as we're so used to David winning all his games that it comes as a bit of a shock when he loses any!

I've been walking around the downstairs of our house as usual and have also been gently exercising my neck.  As it's been several days since I took any Nurofen capsules, I've taken 1 of them and will take some more later, as I can take 1 or 2 up  to 3 times a day.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop; have watched some TV and have done some reading.  I've yet to tackle the cryptic crossword and will do so later on today.

There's still no word from the vaccine service about my Covid jab and I'm conscious that time is running out, as there won't be any more done after 30 June.

PAULINE, We're on Midsummer's Day and the longest stretch of daylight we get each year.  You were up early again and got another load of your old gardening clothes washed at the cheaper early rate (plenty of them too and definitely not the height of fashion), sorted the emails and surveys (none suitable for you to do, which saves time today) and you are aiming for more garden jobs today.

Yesterday you caught up on the phone calls and spoke to Ann (that friend of yours that is now getting heavier treatment because of the cancer) and have arranged to see her about 11 tomorrow morning and after that might call into B & M to see if there are any suitable plants for your two largest planters, having got the cherry tree out of one of them and plan to get the other one transplanted into the garden today.  Will make the most of today in the garden as the weather is good again, and what with going out tomorrow for part of the day and having Susi calling in on Friday, there won't be much time for garden work again until Saturday.  Yesterday you did get a small amount of work done out there when it started drying up from the rain, but that was just to collect together all of the pots and planters that are empty and having checked the rubbish collection site for your council, on the internet, you found out that you can now put polystyrene packaging in your black bin and you have had a sack full of that still left over from when you had the kitchen packaging to deal with and sorted through that and got it into two new rubbish bags and put them in your black bin ready for collection next week, so more space made.

I see that you're no further forward with having your Covid vaccine either.  One of my friends has told me that a couple of days ago she went to her local hospital where she'd booked to have the Covid jab but was turned away as they'd apparently run out of the vaccine!  I must say that this present vaccine rollout hasn't been well organised at all, unlike all those previous ones.  Additionally, we're being told that this will be the last vaccine rollout, which isn't good news, as people are still catching it.

It's good that Jean is having good weather for her holiday; I hope that Dian has a win at bingo today; and I hope that Rita is having a good day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Flower48 Pauline you have really got so much work done in your garden and also some work the council should be doing .So sad about your friend Ann as it is so hard to find new ones as we get older .Good you had a win at the Monday club

Barbara good you are having nice weather. Do hope David won some games at the terrain.
Sorry your neck is still bothering you but has eased some.Good you got on with your usual work . That is so annoying that you still have not had your Covid jag

Hope Jean is having a nice time

Well we have been having heavy showers then the sun comes out and dries up the rain I got to the Wed club and had a nice time also won £20 in the last game.Then we had nice fish suppers  which were lovely .Now off to maybe do a little work in the garden if the rain stays away.Sorry a short post but had nearly finished one when it all disappeared.......grrrr
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Fvry2v11  Good Morning Ladies.  Quick look in from me this morning as I have a few indoor jobs to do before I go to visit Ann this morning.  Yesterday I decided there was a plant in the front garden that needed help and being put into a planter (another one I had prepared ready), but of course, that started off with quite a tidy of some of the front garden and found a few more sycamore seedlings sprouting, so they went. Heaps more to do out there, but happy with how that patch looks that I tackled and the plant looks very happy in the planter.  It is one of the larger hellebores with the clusters of small green flowers.

Barbara, usual things for you yesterday and see you got a text from Andrew with regard to David losing his games the other day - standing joke as it is so unusual for him to lose, but has to happen at times.  Same here with sunny weather all day, but more thunderstorms threatened for today, so I have held off watering.

Dian, yes our friends do get fewer as we get older and hard to replace the good ones, so will be happy to see Ann today.  See you have been getting quite a few heavy showers and then quickly drying up and we do need the rain today in this area  Held off watering last evening and this morning, because they are forecast for today.  Glad you got another win at the Bingo and enjoyed your club yesterday, including the fish suppers.  That is so annoying when you have nearly completed a post and then it is lost, but glad you got here on the second attempt.

Well must away now Ladies if I am to get the jobs done I want to do, before I leave here.  Have a good day.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:46 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Eyffgs76Pauline well done in getting some work done in the front garden .Mind you never ending in gardening .I am sure Ann will be looking forward to your visit .Do hope she is having a good day .

Barbara hope all is going along nicely for you and David today. and  your neck is not too painfull  Wonder if David got to the terrain and hope he has a win in his games.Wonder if any more information about your jab.Do hope so

Jean hope your having a nice holiday

Turned out a lovely hot day so going to try and do a bit more gardening as think we have rain tomorrow
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:32 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

Once again, we have the lovely sunny weather, although it has clouded over a few times, but the sunshine has always come back afterwards!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house to try and help with the stiffness in my knees.  I've taken some more of the Nurofen capsules and it has certainly helped with the stiffness and the pain in my neck.  I've kept on with the gentle exercises as they do help.  I don't intend taking the capsules for long, though.  I've done some reading and have watched some TV and have tackled the cryptic crossword but didn't do very well with it.  I shall have another go later on this afternoon.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  David is now watching the horse racing on the TV.  He won both Petanque games at the terrain yesterday.  Well done to him!

I've had a letter from the hospital regarding the brain scan the neurologist referred me to the MRI Department for.  Unfortunately, the date is fine for me but the time is not.  It's for 9am and that would mean that I'd have to be ready to leave the house by 7am, as I'll be going there by hospital transport again!  I've tried ringing the MRI Department but they're not answering their phone at the moment.  I expect they're short staffed.

I'm still waiting to hear from the vaccine service about having my Covid jab at home.  Time is getting shorter and shorter.

DIAN, Well you have been having heavy showers then the sun comes out and dries up the rain.  You got to the Wed club and had a nice time also won £20 in the last game.  Then you had nice fish suppers  which were lovely.  After posting, you went off to maybe do a little work in the garden if the rain stayed away.  Sorry a short post but had nearly finished one when it all disappeared.......grrrr.

Today turned out a lovely hot day so going to try and do a bit more gardening as think you have rain tomorrow.

PAULINE, Quick look in from you this morning as you had a few indoor jobs to do before you went to visit Ann this morning.  I hope you found her in not too bad spirits.  Yesterday you decided there was a plant in the front garden that needed help and being put into a planter (another one you had prepared ready), but of course, that started off with quite a tidy of some of the front garden and found a few more sycamore seedlings sprouting, so they went.  Heaps more to do out there, but happy with how that patch looks that you tackled and the plant looks very happy in the planter.  It is one of the larger hellebores with the clusters of small green flowers.

You and I had sunny weather all day yesterday, but more thunderstorms threatened for today, so you have held off watering.

I hope that Jean is enjoying her holiday and that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:29 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Zaiive11 Hi ladies.  I know we needed the rain and got plenty of that from late afternoon (with thunder) and again during the night, but it came down so heavily that the roses and double poppies have been given a good battering and everything is looking a bit dismal this morning.  I have also had to go on the early morning patrol (with gardening gloves on) and pick up the slugs and snails (and chuck them over the fence onto the grass bank for the birds' breakfast) as some of my marigold seedlings that had transplanted and were growing so well, had been chomped at.  Very cloudy at the moment with no hint of sun and more rain forecast.

Yesterday went over to see Ann and spent a pleasant couple of hours with her and despite her being so unwell, we had a good natter and a laugh.  I had thought I might do some top up shopping on the way back, but it was so humid that I came straight home when the 5 bus came along and had a rest for a couple of hours and finished off another book.  When it cooled down in the evening, after a light meal, I got on with some housework and tidied around the dining room end and kitchen and put away some of the gardening items I had been using - won't be needing them until at least tomorrow as Susi is calling about 10 this morning for a cuppa and catch up.

Dian, yes garden work is never ending, but there isn't any getting done today by me and it was good to spend time with Ann yesterday.  I see you got good weather yesterday and planned to do more work in the garden before the rain arrived. Well we got plenty of it here yesterday and it was needed, but a bit too heavy, flattening a lot of things.

Barbara, hope your sunny weather lasted out for you yesterday.  David did the necessary shopping and then went to the terrain and won two games. You did gentle exercising and heard from the hospital about the MRI scan and you are trying to get the time altered, because the appointment is far too early for you, although the date is fine.  Hope you can get that sorted.

Think Jean's holiday has ended up with some thundery showers in Norfok, but hope she is still enjoying the last couple of days.

Must away now Ladies and get the emails sorted, decide what to have for breakfast, then get a few more jobs done before Susi arrives.  Hope you all have a good end to the week.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:40 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Gmfrid12 Pauline a shame your garden took such a battering but I am sure with your help will soon be shipshape again. Good you and Ann had a nice time as would certainly cheer her up. Enjoy your catch up with Susi

Hope Jean is enjoying her break

Barbara David did his essential shopping and you got on with walking around downstairs to ease your knees and neck.Hope it did help. also you worked on your computer and laptop also the cryptic crossword though you did not do well with it Also watched some TV .David won 2 of his games at the terrain yesterday. Now watching the racing on TV.
Do hope you get your transport to the Hospital sorted........sorry still not got your covid jag yet

well more rain this morning off and on .Enjoyed out with my daughter and friend and just found out granddaughter has bought her first house with her long term boyfriend .She is the won doing mental health and has finished her 3year course. I am so pleased for them as getting so expensive for everybody now .
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:57 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!!

We've had mostly lovely sunny weather here today although it did get cloudy and overcast for a short while this morning.

David did the essential shopping this morning.  I've been gently exercising my neck and have taken some Nurofen capsules today but are going to leave them off tomorrow  to see how it goes.  If it doesn't clear up, I guess I shall have to try and see a GP, although I won't be able to go to the surgery and so will have to try and get a home visit, which are like gold dust nowadays.  I've also been walking around the downstairs of our house and have watched some TV.  I've also tackled the cryptic crossword and haven't done too badly with it this time but there's still more to do on it.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.

I seem  to have spent most of the day on the phone, trying to have that hospital appointment rearranged.  I just couldn't get through to the MRI department for a long long time but did eventually speak to a staff member.  At first I couldn't get him to understand that he was trying to "sell" me appointment times that were just too early for me, especially considering that I have to be ready to be picked up by the hospital transport crew 2 hours before my appointment time.  The staff member was quoting me silly times, like 8.30am, which would've meant I'd have had to be ready for the off by 6.30am.  He said to leave it with him and he'd try and sort something out.  He later rang me back with a suitable day and time appointment.

I then tried to find out if I'd definitely be having my Covid jab at home.  I rang the vaccine service to find out if they could help me with that but the gentleman suggested I ring the GP surgery to ask for a phone number for the District Nurses, who are once again the ones that will be giving the jabs to housebound patients.  I rang the surgery and spoke to a receptionist, who said that one of the local health centres would be able to give me the relevant phone number but I've tried and tried ringing them and the number is permanently engaged.  I suspect that all the nurses were out visiting patients, as no phone is engaged for that long!  I shall try again, probably on Monday now, as the weekend is coming up.  I'll try once to ring the number just in case the nurses are in residence tomorrow, but I doubt it.

PAULINE, We definitely needed the rain and you got plenty of that from late afternoon (with thunder) and again during the night, but it came down so heavily that the roses and double poppies had been given a good battering and everything was looking a bit dismal this morning.  You also had to go on the early morning patrol (with gardening gloves on) and pick up the slugs and snails (and chuck them over the fence onto the grass bank for the birds' breakfast) as some of your marigold seedlings that had transplanted and were growing so well, had been chomped at.  Very cloudy at the moment with no hint of sun and more rain forecast.

Yesterday you went over to see Ann and spent a pleasant couple of hours with her and despite her being so unwell, you had a good natter and a laugh.  You had thought you might do some top up shopping on the way back, but it was so humid that you came straight home when the 5 bus came along and had a rest for a couple of hours and finished off another book.  When it cooled down in the evening, after a light meal, you got on with some housework and tidied around the dining room end and kitchen and put away some of the gardening items you had been using - won't be needing them until at least tomorrow as Susi is calling about 10 this morning for a cuppa and catch up.

I hope that Dian is having a good day, that Jean is still enjoying her holiday and that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:58 pm
Oops! Dian's post and mine must've crossed in the post! I'll answer your post tomorrow, Dian!
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:13 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Oie_an18 Hi Ladies.  Restful day yesterday having a catch up with Susi and she was here until mid afternoon and to be honest it was too humid to do anything in the garden when she had gone, so took it easy indoors.  I don't know what to expect from the weather this morning as one minute the sun is out and then it goes cloudy and more rain is forecast, so undecided what to do today.  I really do need to get some top up shopping that I didn't do on Thursday after seeing Ann and I do need some more potting fibre for transplanting more seedlings, as my own compost is getting a bit low and on the lookout too, for a couple more ferns for those larger planters that can go around the shelter area for decoration.

Dian, on and off rain for you yesteday, but that didn't stop you enjoying the shopping trip with your daughter and friend.  That is such good news for your granddaughter, the one who has just finished her three year course in mental health nursing, that her and her boyfriend have just got their first house together.  Well done to both of them, because property purchase is getting so difficult these days for the first time buyers.  Liked your bright new Friday gif.

Barbara, sunny weather for you yesterday, like we had here.  You are carrying on with the gentle exercises for the neck and thinking of leaving off taking the Nurofen tabs to see how it goes - and hope it does go well for you.  Hope you get the hospital appointment finally altered to a more sutable time of day and manage to get the covid jab finally sorted.  I think I am going to have to go into town to one of the chemists near the bus station to get my jab as I have heard nothing more about any further vaccine arriving at my surgery.  With regard to the transport for the MRI scan, I do know they try and pick up several people for these scans on one of the trips and have got to say, that Gennie, that old friend of mine, who had to have dialysis three days a week, had to be ready so early in the morning for the ambulance to pick up as many patients as they could, so quite a long journey and the same coming home, which meant quite late on some of those evenings, by the time different people were dropped off and think about that for her three times a week!!

Well I had better make up my mind as to what I am going to do today, but get another coffee first and hope you all have a good start to the weekend.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:42 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We're having weather similar to Pauline's today, with lovely sunshine but then being replaced with a cloudy sky.  It just can't make its mind up!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've decided not to take the Nurofen capsules today but am continuing with the gentle exercise on my neck.  I hope it works so that I don't have to try and get a home visit by my GP, as I know they're not very keen on doing those nowadays.  I've been walking around the downstairs of our house in an attempt to help with the stiffness in my knees.  I've tackled the cryptic crossword and have done fairly well with it but have still more to do.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.  There are some updates to do on the laptop and I shall do those when I've finished using the laptop.  I've also done some reading and have watched some TV, including some catch up on programmes.

DIAN, You had more rain yesterday morning off and on.  Enjoyed out with your daughter and friend and just found out granddaughter has bought her first house with her long term boyfriend.  She is the won doing mental health and has finished her 3year course.  You are so pleased for them as getting so expensive for everybody now.

PAULINE, You had a restful day yesterday having a catch up with Susi and she was with you until mid afternoon and to be honest it was too humid to do anything in the garden when she had gone, so took it easy indoors.  You don't know what to expect from the weather this morning as one minute the sun is out and then it goes cloudy and more rain is forecast, so undecided what to do today.  You really do need to get some top up shopping that you didn't do on Thursday after seeing Ann and you do need some more potting fibre for transplanting more seedlings, as your own compost is getting a bit low and on the lookout too, for a couple more ferns for those larger planters that can go around the shelter area for decoration.

Those must've been really long and arduous days for your friend, Gennie, when using hospital transport to be taken for her dialysis sessions 3 times a week.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to have the covid jab yet as your surgery doesn't seem to have any supplies.  I was told by a lady at the vaccine service that in some areas, the supplies have run out, but that doesn't seem to tie in with reports that the booster take up this time hasn't been as great as with previous ones.  I've found the whole thing very disorganised and disappointing after all the successful boosters we saw earlier in the pandemic.

I hope that Jean is enjoying her holiday.  Do we know when she's due to come back?  I also hope that Rita is having a good day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Te7xpr10Pauline that was a nice time spent with Susi  and catching up on her news. Good you had a rest from the garden as was too humid but had a well earned rest indoors .Still you are certainly winning with the garden.

Barbara good you got hospital appointment sorted now just need to get your covid jag sorted too.......David did his essential shop and you got on with your gentle exercises .Hope your neck was not too painful without your capsules.also walked round downstairs to help your knees.Good you did better with the cryptic crossword.Also worked on your computer and laptop which you will update later.Also you watched some tv and  some reading and catching up on your TV programmes

Think Jean should be home soon from her break.

Another pleasant day so hoping to do another bit of work in the garden if the rain stays away.Not too sure what the weather is going to do.Sun pops out then disappears also quite a strong wind blowing.
Have a nice weekend all
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:09 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 0ge7xa12 Good Morning Ladies.

Decision made yesterday and I stayed on the bus for a couple of further stops to go to Aldi, as I thought there was a possibility of finding the plant and potting fibre I needed, but they had been refitted, no plants outside and the potting fibre was in 40 litre bags - far too large for my trolley, so had a look inside and did the top up shopping I needed from them and got the bus directly home. Put the shopping away, made a coffee and then took off again for the centre and first call was Lidls.

They had the potting fibre in 20 litre bags at a low price, so bought 2 of those and a couple more things I needed in there, got the potting fibre in the bottom of the shopping trolley first and then off to B & M to look for the fern I wanted. Had a good search and there was only one fern in the outdoor garden section and that had no price label, so took it inside the shop and waited for them to make up their mind about the price.  They came up with £8.50, but I reckon it had been a higher price than that originally because it was also in a lovely terra-cotta pot, so was happy with that and then home for a rest.  I intend to put that fern in a larger planter, but the pot will be used for some of the other seedlings that need potting up.

After those two trips I felt I had done enough for the day and sorted out the meal and had a restful evening, but today I hope to get more done in the garden and first of all should get some watering done, although we just might get the storms back later and they were threatened last evening, but didn't happen.

Barbara, similar weather your way yesterday, but in the end here, it became very hot and humid again.  I hope you got on okay without the Nurofen tablets, because if that humidity arrived your way, I reckon it would have made it difficult with the aches and pains.  I ended up taking a couple of Ibuprofen between the 2 shopping trips, because the knees started playing up and then later in the day I took the stronger pain killers, but nothing did much to make things comfortable yesterday and so I was up at 5 this morning before I stiffened up too much. That disorganisation with regard to the Covid jab, was the same here for the last Spring booster and yet the Autumn one was okay at my local surgery.  Hope you finally get it sorted, but I know I will end up going into town, probably on Tuesday, to get that jab at the chemist closest to the bus station.

Dian, you were hoping to get some gardening done yesterday, but you weren't sure what the weather was going to turn out like as the sun kept disappearing and there was a wind blowing, but hope you got something achieved.  After two days away from the garden I had better get cracking again today.

Expect Jean will be back now after an enjoyable holiday and I still haven't heard anything from Rita, although she would have been home for a week now.

Enjoy your Sunday Ladies and I am off for a cup of coffee and then to the garden.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We're having glorious sunny weather once again but we're both still being affected by the humidity.  It really is awful, especially during the night.  Mind you, I keep having to get up during the night to go to the loo anyway and so my sleep is always disrupted whatever the weather!

David went out early to buy a newspaper and some other bits and pieces.  I've kept on with the gentle exercises on my neck but now that I've stopped the Nurofen tablets, my neck is still very painful and stiff.  I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and request a home visit from my GP!  I've also continued with the walking around the downstairs of our house to try and stop my knees from getting so stiff.  I've tackled the general knowledge crossword in the Sunday newspaper but haven't done very well with it so far.  I shall have another go later on today.  I've done some reading and watched some TV, notable Laura K's morning programme, which I always find interesting.  I've also done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.

David has just come back from the terrain.  There's a club competition on today but he's not taking part in many of them while I'm so immobile, and so he only went up there to say "Hello!"  He's now going to watch the tennis on the TV.

DIAN, Yesterday you had another pleasant day so were hoping to do another bit of work in the garden if the rain stayed away.  Not too sure what the weather is going to do.  The sun pops out then disappears also quite a strong wind blowing.

PAULINE, Decision made yesterday and you stayed on the bus for a couple of further stops to go to Aldi, as you thought there was a possibility of finding the plant and potting fibre you needed, but they had been refitted, no plants outside and the potting fibre was in 40 litre bags - far too large for your trolley, so had a look inside and did the top up shopping you needed from them and got the bus directly home. Put the shopping away, made a coffee and then took off again for the centre and first call was Lidls.

They had the potting fibre in 20 litre bags at a low price, so bought 2 of those and a couple more things you needed in there, got the potting fibre in the bottom of the shopping trolley first and then off to B & M to look for the fern you wanted. Had a good search and there was only one fern in the outdoor garden section and that had no price label, so took it inside the shop and waited for them to make up their mind about the price.  They came up with £8.50, but you reckon it had been a higher price than that originally because it was also in a lovely terra-cotta pot, so you were happy with that and then home for a rest.  You intend to put that fern in a larger planter, but the pot will be used for some of the other seedlings that need potting up.

After those two trips you felt you had done enough for the day and sorted out the meal and had a restful evening, but today you were hoping to get more done in the garden and first of all should get some watering done, although you just might get the storms back later and they were threatened last evening, but didn't happen.

You ended up taking a couple of Ibuprofen between the 2 shopping trips, because the knees started playing up and then later in the day you took the stronger pain killers, but nothing did much to make things comfortable yesterday and so you were up at 5 this morning before you stiffened up too much.  Let's hope we both have an easier time when the weather gets a bit cooler, which is now forecast after today.

I wonder if Jean is back home now and I do hope that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 4cnhg173Pauline I have just lost a long post so this is short as had to close down comp as the keyboard stopped working Grrr
You certainly did very well in going out twice to shop and so good you got your 20 litre of soil also bought your fern( I spent 2 hours in back garden yesterday ripping out ferns as they were taking over .)

Barbara sorry your neck is still so painful.David did his essential shopping and later popped to the terrain for a short time .Also you got on with  your usual work

Hope Jean enjoyed her break

Sorry this is just a short post but just about to finish when keyboard stopped working so had to shut comp down and was pleased it did work when it started up again but time consuming
Have a good day ladies
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:21 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Flower14  Good Morning All.  It is definitely cooler this morning after another hot night and that drop in temperature is much appreciated.  Yesterday I did more transplanting of seedlings (some of them being wallflowers, ready for next year) and I have now emptied a lot of the seed trays.  Had to end up watering because so many plants were wilting and the promised storms and rain didn't arrive. Anyway the garden looks much better this morning after the plants had revived.  Off to the club this morning with another book and gradually I am reading more of the pile of books in a bookcase in the upper hall and really should avoid finding any others on offer at the club today.

Barbara, yes that humidity is hard to live with and makes for disturbed nights, but then, broken nights, whether caused by humidity or bathroom calls, actually are better than laying for too long in one place - not good for the arthritis.  I see you are thinking about asking your GP for a home visit - good luck with that.  David also isn't getting involved with too many games at the moment while you are so immobile.  I certainly was suffering from going out twice on Saturday and hips were playing up yesterday and woke up this morning with that trouble, but having got up at 5 and gone through the emails, had a drink and early breakfast, I went back to bed for an hour and made sure I was in a comfortable position and got another hour's sleep and now aches and pains have subsided.  I can understand you being worried with the immobility, because there are times when I woinder how badly this might affect me, but keep moving as much as I can.

Dian, How irritating, losing another long post with your keyboard playong up, but thankfully you did get a post on here in the end.  See you spent a couple of hours in the back garden on Saturday and there was you ripping out ferns and me on the hunt for a couple (and only found one) Rolling Eyes.  Good to read that after shutting the computer down, your keyboard started working again and hope you don't get any further problems with it.

Got a few little jobs to do indoors and then off to the club and hope the week starts off well for you all.  Hope also to hear from Jean about her holiday and also looking forward to an email from Rita.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:35 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We've had lovely sunshine again today but it hasn't been of the wall-to-wall variety.  At the moment, it's looking cloudy out there but I expect the sun will be back before long.  Thankfully, the temperature is a little lower and the humidity seems to be taking a break!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  I've been gently exercising my neck and have been walking around the downstairs of our house.  I've done some reading and have tackled the cryptic crossword in the newspaper but have still more to do on it, which I shall do later on today.  I've also watched some TV and have done some computer work on my mobile phone and on my laptop.

I've also phoned the second of the two health clinics regarding who is giving the Covid jabs to patients at home.  The first one, that I phoned on Friday, said that they're not giving the jabs but that the second one is.  I duly phoned the second one this morning but was told that they're not giving them either and that they keep receiving calls from people who are enquiring just as I am!  I then phoned the vaccine service again.  They couldn't tell me who is giving the jabs but said that they would try and find out and would ask whoever that is to ring me with regard to giving me an appointment at home.  I'm thoroughly confused with it all and have never known anything quite so chaotic!  I now have just till this coming Friday to have the jab.  I do love it when a plan comes together but unfortunately I don't think this one will!

David went on one of his long walks earlier this afternoon and is now watching tennis on the TV.

DIAN, You have just lost a long post so this is short as had to close down comp as the keyboard stopped working Grrr.  Sorry this is just a short post but just about to finish when keyboard stopped working again so had to shut comp down and you were pleased it did work when it started up again but time consuming.  Isn't it annoying when that happens, Dian!  However, you spent 2 hours in back garden yesterday ripping out ferns as they were taking over!

PAULINE, It was definitely cooler this morning after another hot night and that drop in temperature is much appreciated.  Yesterday you did more transplanting of seedlings (some of them being wallflowers, ready for next year) and you have now emptied a lot of the seed trays.  Had to end up watering because so many plants were wilting and the promised storms and rain didn't arrive. Anyway the garden looked much better this morning after the plants had revived.  Off to the club this morning with another book and gradually you are reading more of the pile of books in a bookcase in the upper hall and really should avoid finding any others on offer at the club today.

I do agree with you about humidity being hard to live with and making for disturbed nights, but then, broken nights, whether caused by humidity or bathroom calls, actually are better than laying for too long in one place - not good for the arthritis.  It's just that I don't seem to get a lot of sleep and I feel shattered by morning!  I was thinking about asking my GP for a home visit but my neck wasn't feeling too bad this morning, and so I'll leave it another day and maybe bite the bullet tomorrow morning.  It's getting through the barrier of the receptionists that seems the worst part of it!  I'm sorry to hear that you were suffering from going out twice on Saturday and that your hips were playing up yesterday and you woke up this morning with that trouble, but having got up at 5 and gone through the emails, had a drink and early breakfast, you went back to bed for an hour and made sure you were in a comfortable position and got another hour's sleep and now the aches and pains have subsided.  I'm very glad to hear it!

Got a few little jobs to do indoors and then off to the club and hope the week starts off well for us all.  Hope also to hear from Jean about her holiday and also looking forward to an email from Rita.

I too hope that Jean enjoyed her holiday and that Rita is all right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:44 pm
[i]Barbara we must have posted at same time.Sorry you are having so much trouble in trying to get your covid jab at home Do hope you hear some good news about it soon Hope David enjoyed the long walk and his tv[/i]
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:58 am
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Zvpmgq13    Good Morning Ladies.

Club was better attended yesterday with some members back from holidays and it being that much cooler, although still sunny.  Played a few games of Hoy (kind of bingo game with playing cards) and I won twice and got a bath foam and then a Zo Flora disinfectant - one of those that you can add water too, but I like to use them neat with reed diffusers and they last for a good amount of time and the scent is always there.  Then I won a packet of biscuits in the raffle and after that we had a couple of quizzes.

Long wait for a bus home again and our No 1 buses seem to disappear into a mystery zone - we see two of them going to the end of their journey which is about three stops on and then we have a long wait for them to come back and only one appears - I am sure they change numbers and one of them goes off on a different route Rolling Eyes .  Anyway when I finally got home I decided to take it easy and finished the book I was on, so that is for the club next week and despite what I said, I came home with three books from another member, so no catching up on the ones already in my bookcase.

Not sure what to do today, because it is very cloudy out there and I am sure I have heard a couple of rumbles of thunder, but probably will catch the bus into town, give in and go to that chemist closest to the bus station to get the booster covid jab.  While in town I will probably pop into Home Bargains and Iceland, because there really aren't that many shops left to look in.

Dian it looks as though you had posted before that last short post saying you had missed Barbara, but that hadn't appeared, so wondering if it was this site cancelling one of you out as you might have been posting at the same time. Anyway hope the week started off well for you.

Barbara, you had cloud on and off yesterday and it certainly is cloud cover today for us here, but at least we have lost the humidity and it was easier to sleep last night.  Well I hope you do manage to get a home visit for the jab sorted, but sounds as though you don't hold out much hope and as you can see from above, if I am going to get that done, then it is a trip into town for me.

Enjoy your day Ladies and hope we hear from Jean today about her holiday. 
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:53 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 Jofjtj11   Hello again, just popping back in to say that I had checked on the internet again for covid jabs at pharmacies near me and found the one on the estate where I go to the club, was giving them, so am booked in for early appointment tomorrow morning, so saves me that trip into town.  Still very cloudy out there and cool with it and think I had better get on with some indoor jobs like the pile of ironing that needs attention and I also have some small sewing jobs that need doing, so while I am doing them upstairs, I will catch up on some recorded tv.  Will probably be late tomorrow posting as I have to be off early for the jab.  Enjoy your afternoon.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:09 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 21 63708424Pauline always nice when you have a win at the club.That was good more people there yesterday..........yes quite sad that there is not too many shops around now. That is great you now have booked a time for your covid jab and I think very wise.See you will catch up on your ironing .Never ends Smile

Barbara that is such  a farce about your covid jab .Do hope you finally manage to get it
David did the essential shopping while you got on with gently exercising your neck and walking around downstairs .                  You tackled the cryptic crossword in the paper also got some reading done .You watched some TV also did computer work on your phone and laptop
David went for a long walk in the afternoon and after watched the tv.

Jean do hope you enjoyed your break

Well we now have the rain here all day so no work in the garden so will do some housework after I enjoy a nice cup of tea
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum