Nifty Fifties Plus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Pauline
Pauline
Admin
https://nifty-fifties.forumotion.com

Hello Everyone - Page 3 Empty Re: Hello Everyone

Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Kmru4x11   As soon as I finished typing yesterday and said I was off to get that clematis correctly climbing to the trellis, then down came the rain and it was on and off all day, so settled for the jewellery work and with the help of my jewellery tools and two small sets of pliers, I managed to get on and repair a lot of things that had been hanging around for ages and added those to the jewellery already displayed and then took some photos of the finished articles.  

With my fingers the way they are, what I did find difficult was hanging the earrings for pierced ears on that old blue toy game frame, but that is where the pliers came in very handy. This morning went on a second rummage through the last box that I knew had good things in and found quite a bit to display, so will get on with that lot today and hopefully add a few more things after doing some more repairs.   Anyway here are the photos I took of the original display yesterday:-

Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130939  Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130940 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130941 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130942 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130943

Today we have more rain forecast, although at the moment we have lovely sunshine, but several black clouds around, but do have a choice of outdoor or indoor work to do. Anyway I will get this post on and then read all of your posts and answer them.

Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon May 16, 2022 3:29 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Tf0gix13    Back again to read your posts.

Rita, answered your email this morning and hope, if you do get the washing out and go for a walk, that you have your umbrella with you, because we do have more heavy showers forecast. I see your post got on here last evening, although why you were told there was someone else posting (possibly me), that was long before yours arrived.  Anyway yours got posted on here so that was good.  What a nuisance that your t v went off just after the Jubilee programme, but came back again later so you could see the rest of it.  I did watch that while I was working on the jewellery and it was all enjoyable.  You did so well getting all of that work done in your garden, particularly as you have to be using your stick while working and you must have got better weather than me, because it was more rain than sun yesterday here.  See you enjoyed the trip to Olney with your neighbour, but had to wait quite a long time for the return bus.  You can always look up the timetables with Stagecoach on the internet - that is how I got the times of the buses for you when we met up in Northampton.  By the way, it isn't until this Friday coming that I get the phone call from the doctor and that is so true, the damp weather doesn't help with the aches and pains, but am afraid that a lot of the population of these islands have to put up with that due to the weather that arrives here.  My burning is up-to-date at the moment, but there are always more things to cut back in the garden as you know.

Jean, so far, only slight patches of rain my way, but heavier showers are threatened, but do have a choice of indoor or outdoor jobs to get on with.  That was a strange call about Barry and I am presuming that came from the surgery - have you found out anything more since then?  The neighbours went on quite late - as they were still out there with the noise when the Eurovision started and don't think they even stopped to listen to their entry in the song contest.  Same as I mentioned to Rita, the doctor is phoning me this Friday coming, so have to wait until then to see what is planned for me, or what might be wrong.

Dian, they went on quite late on Saturday, but I came in and shut out the noise, got on with the jewellery and watched the song contest.  Yes it is difficult with my fingers the way they are (very frustrating), but using those small pliers to grip with, I managed quite well.  I see you have another wet one today, so indoor housework planned for you - we can always find something to do indoors and at the moment I just seem to be wrecking my home with pulling things out from where they have been packed, but when I have got everything ready for the coming car boot I will have a massive tidy up once again and should have more room to put things.  I have also sorted out a lot more for the charity shops with the jewellery and other items.

Barbara, hope all is ready for tomorrow with you, ready for the shower installation and expect you will post later.

Enjoy the rest of the day ladies and at the moment we have one of the dark gloomy patches, so reckon it is more of the jewellery work for me..
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 pm
P.S Just as I had finished posting the above, it started raining and it is pouring down really hard, as forecast Crying or Very sad , so on with the jobs indoors.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Mon May 16, 2022 4:36 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

David came 3rd in yesterday's competition and came with a trophy and a bottle of red wine.  It had been a horrible day for weather, though, all day, and he came home like a drowned rat!

We were forecast thunderstorms yesterday evening, into the night and until 5 o’clock this morning, but luckily for us, they didn’t arrive.

David did the essential shopping early this morning and then went into Croydon as his electric shaver had died and he needed to buy a new one.  He came home just in time as there was a delivery of the materials that will be needed for the shower that we’re having installed tomorrow.  They should have been delivered tomorrow but someone had made a mistake.  We don’t know whether it was Orange Badge or the delivery company.  It’s a good thing we were at home, as otherwise the materials would have had to be taken away again!  David helped the delivery driver to take the materials upstairs, some in our bathroom and the rest in Andrew’s old bedroom.  Before the delivery driver went away, I checked with Orange Badge that they were our materials and not someone else’s, as there’s another Mrs Randall who’s a customer of theirs, and she too lives in Croydon.  As it turned out, they were indeed our materials.  After breakfast, I did the first set of my physio exercises and I also tackled the cryptic crossword but didn’t do very well with it.  I’ll try again later and will also do the second set of exercises.  After lunch, the mobile chiropodist arrived to treat my feet, especially the hard skin that keeps appearing under one of my toes.  I now feel as if I’m walking on air!  Once the chiropodist had gone, I caught up on 2 TV programmes.

I’ve got my fingers firmly crossed that all will turn out ok with the installation of the walk in shower!

Pauline, yesterday morning it did look a bit cloudy compared to the sunny day on Saturday and also you had rain during the night.

On Saturday your neighbours decided they would have their own Eurovision Song Contest from quite early in the morning, so there was no way you were getting up the step ladder to deal with the clematis, particularly as they were chopping up goodness knows what and burning on the bbq, so kept your head down and under the smoke.  Started clearing the remainder of the things that had been dumped on the garden table, which included the last lot of poles from the undamaged gazebo frame and as they were dry, wrapped them up in two plastic sacks and placed them in the old shopping trolley you had kept for shifting things around, so having cleared a lot of that and as it was a calm day and your neighbours were already burning, you then got on and sorted out the full up incinerator.  Got that all sorted and started to burn some of the items with it then only a third full and gradually added more to it and completely cleared it all finally.

Came in after that from the noise from next door and not too pleasant cooking smells and continued with the jewellery displays, going well into the evening, while watching the Eurovision Song Contest, which this year seemed to be well worth watching and well done Sam for the UK (with that magic touch of David Bowie and Brian May).  What is left now for you to sort through are the earrings which are never easy to display, but got to be done and  you tried to finish that lot yesterday.

As soon as you finished typing yesterday and said you were off to get that clematis correctly climbing to the trellis, then down came the rain and it was on and off all day, so settled for the jewellery work and with the help of your jewellery tools and two small sets of pliers, you managed to get on and repair a lot of things that had been hanging around for ages and added those to the jewellery already displayed and then took some photos of the finished articles.

With your fingers the way they are, what you did find difficult was hanging the earrings for pierced ears on that old blue toy game frame, but that is where the pliers came in very handy. This morning went on a second rummage through the last box that you knew had good things in and found quite a bit to display, so will get on with that lot today and hopefully add a few more things after doing some more repairs.   Thank you for posting the photos you took of the original display yesterday.

Today you have more rain forecast, although at the time of posting, you had lovely sunshine, but several black clouds around, but do have a choice of outdoor or indoor work to do.

Enjoy the rest of the day ladies and at the moment you have one of the dark gloomy patches, so reckon it is more of the jewellery work for you.

Rita, yesterday was a quiet day, but you did get out into the garden for an hour and weeded and cleared a small patch round a rose tree and put some seeds in.  Bit difficult leaning on walking stick.

On Saturday you went with a neighbour on bus to Olney, a pleasant little place, you were not sure of bus times back so sat for an hour on a seat at the bus stand. Buses are one and half hours apart and there are no current times shown at bus stops. Nevertheless it was good to get out and about and have a cuppa in outside cafe.

Afterwards you watched TV, programme celebrations from Windsor.

Today is a dull damp day there, so not a washing day for you.  Last night you wrote on here then it said someone else (Pauline) posted at same time, did you want to amend it?,  but you just left it as written.  You sat down to watch Tv last night then just when singers, etc., were due to come in, tv went off, so by time it came back on it was horses etc.  It will have been disappointing for you when the TV went off.

Jean, it's been raining hard today.  You had a phone call that Barry (Jill's husband) has had to go to the docs and they will phone you later as they want to see you.

Dian, well another Wet day so you just caught up with some housework.

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Lots of love from me to all!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Hgbh8q11 Good Morning Ladies.  Well it certainly was rain most of the day yesterday so got through a lot with regard to the jewellery and that, along with a few other things, are now packed in two large storage boxes ready for transporting.  Have also found loads more items for the charity shops and will pack my trolley with that lot and take them on Thursday when I have the appointment for the eye test and also need to do a lot of shopping that day.  I now have an empty corner in the craft room and that will help with the tidy up in there.

Barbara that was so lucky that you were in and David returned in time for the delivery of the items for the shower installation today and hope that it goes well for you.

Wishing you all a good day Ladies and the sun is shining here, so outdoor work for me today.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Tue May 17, 2022 11:03 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 6ujrhj33Pauline your jewellery looking so attractive so I am sure will sell quickly. See you have had another clear out too .Makes such a difference when you do have a good clearance .Hope your eye test goes well on Thursday .See it is this Friday to hear from your Doctor .Hope it is good news

Jean do hope you are having a good day with Coco...wonder if you heard how Barry is ???

Rita also wishing you a good day with no problems.

Barbara good David won a prize even if he got. drenched .That was good your materials arrived for the bathroom also the chiropodist turned up for your foot which made a big difference for you .David popped into Croyden to buy a new shaver as his had failed. You did one lot of exercises and will do the rest later also tackled the cryptic crossword After the chiropodist left you watched some TV

Started of a nice bright sunny morning but has now turned dull and looks like more rain .grrr .Have a good day ladies
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 pm
Been to the  golden years club with Barry. He is a little confused, but we both won a prize.  Next week it is alpacas, never been close to them before.

It is hot here.  Went out very early with Coco and then sat in the garden for a while with her.  The phone call from Barry was about the above.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Tue May 17, 2022 4:24 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We’ve had lovely sunny weather all day today and it’s been just marvellous!

David did the essential shopping early this morning and then finished sorting everything in readiness for the arrival of the fitter, who was due between 8.30 and 9am today.  However, those times came and went and so I rang Orange Badge to find out when the fitter would be arriving.  The people in the office were amazed that he hadn’t turned up.  To cut a long story short, one of the managers had authorised the fitter to go to the house of a customer who’d had some sort of an emergency but he hadn’t told anyone else in the office and he certainly didn’t tell us!  Someone got in touch with the fitter, who said that he’d be able to come to us just after 1pm.  In fact, he turned up at 1.55.  He’s been here since then and has been able to make a start on the work but will be leaving here at 5pm to go home.  To say that David and I are unimpressed is an understatement!  We’ve been promised by said manager that the fitter will be here for the rest of the week and won’t be called out to any emergencies.  Watch this space!

Because of all the disruption and waiting around, it’s been a funny old day and I haven’t been able to get round to the things I usually do but shall make sure that I do at least one set of my physio exercises today!

I've read all your posts and wish everyone well but I'm feeling a little cream crackered now and so will say "Cheerio for now!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Tue May 17, 2022 8:15 pm
This morning I went out for the 10 o'clock bus, which came 30 mins late. I had intended to walk by the river but they are  redoing the paving there so I wandered about and then went into a pleasant cafe on the Square, had a nice meal and watched folk going by. Bought loaf of bread and got bus home. I get very tired so dozed in chair most of afternoon.

BARBARA,  That is so annoying the builder not coming to start work, surely he could at least have phoned you to say why he did not come, but just left you waiting,

JEAN,  it is good that you got out  to the club with Barry, so nice to be amongst people.

DIAN , it's been a lovely day, did you get your flower plants put in?

PAULINE,  your garden will be looking wonderful now,  Do you have time to sit out in it and relax a while?  Are your pains easing at all? , I find using the walking trolley my hands sometimes get 'fixed'  in position thro holding on so long.

It's clouding over darkly now so I hope the rain is overnight and a clear day tomorrow.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am
Today it is  breezy and the dog walk was cut short. so much for the sun.  It is a bit overcast here now.  Coco cannot wait to get back into the garden but it is too cold for me.

How are you getting on with those tests Pauline?

Rita see you have been busy.

Barbara one day will catch you on Facebook.

Dian see you had a nice time.
Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Wed May 18, 2022 2:02 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Fvlifi38Pauline hope your having a nice day and just know you will be busy as ever. Hope your hands not to painful .

Jean that was a nice visit you had with Barry yesterday .Good you also won a prize .Sounds good for next week too

Rita good you got out and about yesterday. Nice to have a visit to a cafe and watch the world go by .

Barbara that was so annoying the workmen not turning up on time.Do hope they made the time up. Just got to think it will be nice when it is all finished

Just in from the Wed club.Did not win at Bingo but enjoyed the chat and nice
cuppa then good to get the bus home to my door
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Wed May 18, 2022 2:56 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Z7x9cg10Hi Everyone.  I have had a real struggle this morning trying to deal with g.mail - problem with Google, but thankfully all sorted and coming through properly now.

Yesterday thankfully got that clematis untangled and trailing through the trellis where it should be and also got some of my hanging garden ornaments shifted from indoors and hanging on that trellis and here are some photos that I took at 6 this morning:-

Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130944 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130945 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130946 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130947 Hello Everyone - Page 3 P1130948

Also had to do some more cutting back yesterday of soft branches, plus the bluebells had finished flowering so all of those leaves cut down and where they have been I can now place some pots, probably with the geraniums in and they will be removed late Autumn and put under cover for the winter and then the bluebells will start shooting through again. The soft cuttings are laying on the lawn because the grass needs mowing and that lot will all go in the compost.

Today I would like to continue in the garden, but do need to sort out ready for tomorrow - make sure I have everything packed for the charity shops and in the trolley ready, drop that lot off, do the shopping (quite a bit needed) and then into Boots for the eye test.

Dian, yes that is so true, we all feel so much better after a clear out and hopefully I will get rid of a lot more of the jewellery at the car boot sale.  I see that yesterday started off well and then looked like rain and hope that didn't arrive.  Glad to read you enjoyed the Wednesday club, although no bingo win today, but you enjoyed the chat and a cuppa.

Jean, well see the phone call from Barry got sorted and although he seemed a bit confused he enjoyed going to the Golden Years club where you both won a prize.  Next week if that talk is about Alpacas, I can tell you they are very gentle animals.  We visited my adopted two (Inti and Lupi) at the Hillside Sanctuary in Norfolk, when we managed a break in between lockdowns.  They are like Llamas, but smaller.  I think it must have warmed up by now your way, so hope you can sit in the garden with Coco.  My eye test is tomorrow and the Doctor is phoning on Friday, so will find out then what results have come from the blood tests.

Barbara, what a nuisance the times for the fitter to arrive was altered by his manager, without letting the rest of the staff know and you had to phone and find about all of that.  I don't suppose he managed to get much done between this late arrival and him finishing at 5, but just hope all is going well today and for the rest of the week, as he is supposed to be fully on your job.

Rita, well a couple of times this morning I have sat in the garden with a cup of coffee, enjoying the changing scenery.  Bluebells all finished and Forget-me-nots looking a bit seedy now, but the saxifraga (London Pride) is taking over now with its clouds of pink flowers and the common Geraniums blooming - pink and purple.  Polyanthus struggling a bit now with the sun and wallflowers going back to seed - so more seed collections to do.  Although the bus arrived late yesterday, you managed to get into town and enjoyed a walk around and a meal at one of the pleasant cafes in the square.  I can certainly understand what you say about your hands being painful after gripping your walking trolley and getting fixed in one position.  Pain isn't so bad in mine today, but it is the lack of feeling in the fingers that is bothering me, so will see what the doctor says during his phone call on Friday.  I reckon you did get that rain during the other night like we had here, but hope it is sunny and calm for you today, like the weather here.

Must away now ladies and continue with the sort out and wishing you all a peaceful remainder of the afternoon and a restful evening.  
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We have lovely weather again here today and it’s warming up a bit too, which is fine by me!

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  After breakfast, I did one set of my physio exercises.  We then waited for the fitter to arrive.  It wasn’t too bad today as he was only half an hour late and he did get straight on with the work.  David has just mown the lawn in our back garden and I’ve done some online banking and some other work on my computer.  I've also tackled the cryptic crossword, fairly unsuccessfully, I must say!  I shall do the second set of my exercises later today.

Rita, yesterday morning you went out for the 10 o'clock bus, which came 30 mins late. You had intended to walk by the river but they are redoing the paving there so you wandered about and then went into a pleasant cafe on the Square, had a nice meal and watched folk going by.  Bought loaf of bread and got bus home.  You get very tired so dozed in chair most of afternoon.

The fitter did turn up yesterday but he was about 5 hours late!  It was the fault of one of the managers, who sent him to a customer who had an emergency, but didn't tell anyone in his office about it and certainly didn't tell us!  We were singularly unimpressed!

Jean, today it is breezy and the dog walk was cut short.  So much for the sun.  It was a bit overcast there when you posted.  Coco cannot wait to get back into the garden but it is too cold for you.

Yes, we keep missing each other on Facebook.  I hope we can catch up with each other some time soon!

Dian, you were just in from the Wed club.  Did not win at Bingo but enjoyed the chat and nice cuppa then good to get the bus home to your door.

Yes, I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it once we have the walk in shower.  I won't know myself!

Pauline, you had a real struggle this morning trying to deal with g.mail - problem with Google, but thankfully all sorted and coming through properly now.

Yesterday thankfully got that clematis untangled and trailing through the trellis where it should be and also got some of your hanging garden ornaments shifted from indoors and hanging on that trellis.  Thank you for posting the photos that you took at 6 this morning.

Also had to do some more cutting back yesterday of soft branches, plus the bluebells had finished flowering so all of those leaves cut down and where they have been you can now place some pots, probably with the geraniums in and they will be removed late Autumn and put under cover for the winter and then the bluebells will start shooting through again. The soft cuttings are laying on the lawn because the grass needs mowing and that lot will all go in the compost.  I too love the bluebells when they come through but just wish they flowered for a bit longer.

Today you would have liked to continue in the garden, but you did need to sort out ready for tomorrow - make sure you have everything packed for the charity shops and in the trolley ready, drop that lot off, do the shopping (quite a bit needed) and then into Boots for the eye test.  I hope the eye test goes well for you, Pauline, and the blood test results which you should get on Friday.

Yesterday the fitter managed to disconnect the bath and put it in our front garden ready to be taken away at the end of the job, but that was about all he was able to do in the shortened time!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Wed May 18, 2022 6:12 pm
Hi, I have had a very pleasant afternoon, a short service and talk at church then usual chat and tea and cakes.   The sun was lovely but now it's dull and quite cool.

Barbara, you wil be thankful when your builder/plumber finally gets your shower fitted.  My friend Muriel was messed about by the builder Man nexr door who partly installed a shower then disappeared to do another job.  However her son from Australia is over here on holiday and he sent Mum and Dad to a hotel  for five days whilst he and his 13 yr old son removed large triangular bath, and everything, properly installed shower, flooring, whole bathroom really. They are delighted and her builder son and his family are off continuing their holiday in UK.
Pauline, I am glad you got sorted with Google Tv.  You had loaded up your shopping trolley with good things for the charity shops who would be pleased to receive them, and then you went food shopping, did you get any bargains this time?

Jean, how  is your toe now, has it healed ok?, so that you can enjoy your walks with Coco.

Dian,  thanks for all the interesting/funny mail you send me. Did I tell you that I did go to the Range at shopping centre, and did not buy anything there thought and then decided  in all that store there was nothing I really wanted, although I did enjoy looking around.

Now it's time to make something to eat, not really hungry, but will see what's there.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Thu May 19, 2022 8:54 am
Well it is  a bit overcast here today, am going on the dog walk earlier and then up the docs for a blood test.

Rita foot is not quite right yet.  Have to go back there next Friday.  Glad you had a nice day out.  What a good son Muriel has, mine came up for 10 minutes only as he does not like to be here now his father is not.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu May 19, 2022 9:35 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Lwobte10  Well what a storm that was through the night.  The heavy rain started later in the evening and then all the thunder and lightening arrived in the early hours.  Drying up now, but still cloudy and checked the weather forecast and the BBC and Met office forecast sun, but the umbrella is up on my tool bar here on the computer.  Well whatever it is like when I leave for the centre, the umbrella will go with me!!

Did a lot more sorting out yesterday and trolley is nearly full for the charity shop, but at the same time got the house more untidy, but at least there will be more room to store things tidily when I get around to the clear up.

Barbara I see you and David were busy yesterday as usual and the fitter did arrive (although half an hour late), but seems as though the work is progressing and the weather was good enough for David to be able to mow the lawn - mine is still waiting and too wet today, after last night's storm, to do anything about that.  That is all you can do, keep happy thinking about the use of the shower when it is finally fitted.

Rita, I see you enjoyed the trip to the church and the company there with the chat and tea and cakes.  That is such good news about Muriel and her husband, with her son and his son finishing off the bathroom for them and hope their builder son now enjoys the rest of their holiday in the UK with his family.  It wasn't the t v I had trouble with, but the gmail, but all sortd now, but having mentioned the t v, the one in my bedroom had been getting a poor signal, so sorted that out yesteray and had to tighten the aerial fitting which had been causing the trouble and it is working properly once again.  It is today I am off to the opticians, charity shops and to do quite a bit of shopping (hopefully without getting rained on.

Dian, I hope the remainder of yesterday went well for you when you got home from the Wednesday club and expect you will be going out tomorrow and looking forward to that. Thank you for the email funnies - always have a good laugh with them and  learn from the information in a lot of them that is so interesting.

Jean, well going by your post, it doesn't seem as though you didn't get the storm over Wellingborough last night and seeing as we aren't that far from one another, that is a puzzle, but perhaps you slept through that.  See it is blood tests for you today and more treatment on the foot Friday next week.  Yes, very overcast now here and hope you and Coco managed the walk without getting rained on (which is still threatened here). Obviously Paul will miss those times with David when they watched the football together and it will take a time for him to get over that.  Same as you, David not being with you now leaves a big hole in all of your lives, but do know you wont be missing the football!!

Well Ladies, I must get on with a few indoor jobs and then get ready for the off.  Will leave here in time to go to the charity shops first and then pop into Lidls, which is near them, then to the opticians and after that visit Tescos to get anything else I need. Hope you all have a good day.

Dian Gavin
Dian Gavin

Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Eviffi33Pauline garden looking a treat and you certainly have worked hard in it but it is never ending .Good you got Google sorted. You will be pleased getting so much cleared out. Great you also got your TV sorted .

Jean hope you get out a walk with Coco.Do hope good results of your blood tests.

Rita  bet Muriel was so pleased her son finished her bathroom .Hope they enjoy their trip out and about. So good to get out chatting to people.

Barbara good bathroom now started and it will be a big help for you. David did the essential shopping also got the grass cut. You also got one set of exercises done and worked on computer did some banking. and tackled the cryptic crossword You will do your second exercises later.Good so far work in bathroom is going along nicely .

Well we did get that storm the other night and my such a heavy down pour of rain.Just discovered I had a fountain of rain above kitchen window so gutter needs sorting.Daughter knows someone so hopefully will get it sorted. Daughter text me this morning will pick me up at 1.30 today and pop into  another shopping mall not too far so looking forward to that.Washing just finished so will get it out and hopefully no rain today.
BarbaraR
BarbaraR

Thu May 19, 2022 4:37 pm
Good Afternoon everyone!

We had thunderstorms during last night and they went on for ages.  There was lightning as well but I didn’t see that, unfortunately.  It's been said that it was a good light show!  The thunder was really loud, though.

David did the essential shopping early this morning.  The electrician, who should have come yesterday, arrived this morning with his assistant, and they tested the electrical system, to do with the installation of a walk in bathroom for us.  All was well but they had to wait for the arrival of the fitter, as they needed to discuss it with him.  The fitter has been working hard all day and I’d say he made quite a bit of progress with the work, and that’s good, especially after the poor start on Tuesday.  

I’ve done the first set of my physio exercises and tackled the cryptic crossword, not very successfully, I must say.  I’ve also worked at my computer.  I shall be doing the second set of my exercises and having another go at tackling the cryptic crossword later on this afternoon.  David has been busy assisting the fitter when necessary.

It’s our wedding anniversary today and we shall probably have a takeaway and a bottle of wine this evening, as we haven’t been able to go out during the day, as we couldn’t leave the fitter here on his own as he has to go backwards and forwards to his van quite frequently, and we can’t give him a door key.

Rita, yesterday, you had a very pleasant afternoon, a short service and talk at church then usual chat and tea and cakes.   The sun was lovely but then turned dull and quite cool.

Jean, well it is a bit overcast here today, am going on the dog walk earlier and then up the docs for a blood test.

Foot is not quite right yet.  Have to go back there next Friday.

Pauline, well what a storm that was through the night.  The heavy rain started later in the evening and then all the thunder and lightening arrived in the early hours.  Drying up now, but still cloudy and checked the weather forecast and the BBC and Met office forecast sun, but the umbrella is up on the tool bar on your computer.  Well whatever it is like when you leave for the centre, the umbrella will go with you!!

Did a lot more sorting out yesterday and trolley is nearly full for the charity shop, but at the same time got the house more untidy, but at least there will be more room to store things tidily when you get around to the clear up.

After posting, you had to get on with a few indoor jobs and then get ready for the off.  You left home in time to go to the charity shops first and then pop into Lidls, which is near them, then to the opticians and after that visit Tescos to get anything else you need.

Dian, well you did get that storm the other night and such a heavy down pour of rain.  You'd discovered you had a fountain of rain above kitchen window so gutter needs sorting.  Daughter knows someone so hopefully will get it sorted.  Daughter text you this morning will pick you up at 1.30 today and pop into another shopping mall not too far so looking forward to that.  Washing had just finished when you posted, so you got it out and hopefully no rain today.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Hello Everyone - Page 3 Empty Now it says someone else posting. Well if it's not on here I tried...

Thu May 19, 2022 7:25 pm
Hi I am late on here again!  This morning as usual I went to Sainsbury's and as usual tired out, had lunch and dozed in chair.

I have had phone calls over two days, same number, which I could not hear properly, thought it seemed from the Council so I went and asked neighbour and she thinks it's property type scams.  Anyway she was expecting her gardener who now has apprentice with him and charges £30 hour for the two of them.  So I came home and hoed out a few weeds!

I think it rained here in the night but looking at TV news it seems that it was a storm just a few miles away. Once I have taken out my hearing aids I cannot hear anything at all, total silence.

Barbara, I hope your bathroom work is proceeding well with not too much disruption.

Dian, did you have successful shopping trip?  So many empty spaces in towns now, no large stores to browse round.

Jean, it is good that you are getting out amongst people, the days and evenings on ones own seem to go on for ever. I was 69 when my husband died, just had our 49th anniversary, not like you with 60 years together.

Pauline, the charity shop would welcome your stuff and I guess you would enjoy your club afterwards.

T v news on and that couple who won all that money! WOW.
Ritadonni
Ritadonni

Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 pm
It said posting at same time and did I want to modify, anyway I see it is here.
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Thu May 19, 2022 11:50 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 G_e_gl11 Hello Ladies. I am posting on here this evening and won't be on here tomorrow as I don't want to be in the middle of typing on the computer when the doctor phones and also because today was mainly taken up with going out, I do have a lot to catch up on here.

Well I did take the umbrella with me, but it has stayed dry all day with pleasant sunny weather.  Really pleased about that because we certainly got torrents of rain during last night and by the news on the t v, Northants was one of the worst areas.  Even with my bedroom curtains closed (which are quite thick and lined) the whole room was lighting up and there were so many lightning strikes going on for a long time.  In fact there was one serious house fire not far from me and three people taken to hospital due to a lightning strike hitting the house.

Got the trolley unloaded at the charity shop and they were pleased with all of the items, then walked along to Lidls and did most of the shopping there.  Got to the opticians after that (15 minutes early) and in fact was seen earlier than the appointment and happy to say that my right good eye has no alteration at all, so didn't need any new glasses, so that was good.  After that popped into Poundland for a couple of things and then to Savers to get those Vit D, then down to the bank to draw some money and they were closed by then, but next week I will go in there and get some change for a float for the car boot.  Home after that with only a short wait for the bus, put the shopping away and then caught up with things on the computer.

Jean hope all went well with the blood test for you today and the weather certainly did cheer up.

Dian, so true the garden work is never ending and got to get that grass cut before I can get on with anything else like that trellis and catch up on some more staining.  See you got that storm too and it certainly was a bad one, but thankfully not those high winds this time.  I know how you feel about the guttering and the rain pouring over and now need to get that done.  I have one section like that above one of the bifold doors and must get that seen to as it hits the ledge above that and pours over. Good that your daughter knows someone who will see to that for you.  Hope it was drier today for you so your washing got dry while you were enjoying a trip out with your daughter to another shopping mall.

Barbara, bad stormy weather for you too during the night and can certainly confirm that it really was a terrific light show and yes, the thunder was heavy (certainly son et lumiere).  Glad to read that the fitter is getting on well and the electrician also arrived today and checked things out with him.  Usual things for you, exercises, computer, tackling the cryptic crossword and David, having done the necesary shopping, helped the fitter when it was needed.  Shame you couldn't get out for your Wedding Anniversary, but see you had planned to have a take away this evening with a bottle of wine and hope you enjoyed that.

Hello Everyone - Page 3 Barbar10

Rita that always puzzles me that you would get that message because as you can see nobody had posted while you were typing and there was a big gap between Barbara's post at 16.37 and yours at 19.25 - that is so strange.  Anyway, as you have said, it got here and enjoyable to read too.  See you got to Sainsbury's to do your shopping, put that away and had lunch and then had a rest for a while.  Those sales and scam calls are such a nuisance and probably was what your neighbour said - one of the property scams.  I got one today from someone who said he was Sam from Windows, Ltd., and could he confirm I was the home owner - I just answered him to say I had all the new windows I wanted and again he repeated all he had said from the start and again I said the same thing and put the phone down.  From what I can find, there is no such company just called Windows, Ltd.  Just after that the phone rang again and I was just about to growl at "Sam", but it was Stephen phoning me to see if I was okay and I have promised to let him know tomorrow what the doctor says after he phones me.  No club for me today Rita, after the charity shop I did the shopping in Lidls and then off to the opticians and thankfully, no new glasses needed.  Club for me again on Monday.  That gardener with his apprentice that your neighbour uses, still charges quite a lot for an hour, but with two of them I hope they get through the work quickly for her. I see you went home after talking to her and did your own hoeing - well done you.  

That amount of money that was won by that couple is totally silly money. Think about all of that worry, the accountants that will be needed, etc., and you wouldn't be able to spend all of the interest earned from that if it was invested - trust funds too to be set up for family members, etc.,  and going public with that news I don't think was a wise move - can you imagine all of the begging letters they will get!!  It is lovely if you win just enough to help your children pay off any mortgages, etc., and help your grandchildren get a foot on the propperty ladder, but the amount they have would be a real worry for most of us.

Well I am off to bed now Ladies and hope you all have a good day tomorrow.

Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 am
Hello Everyone - Page 3 Zltsvi12    Good Morning Ladies.  Just looking in quickly as it is just before 7.30 and don't suppose I will get any call from the doctor before 8.00.  Back to rain here and do hope that clears away for all of you.  

When I have finished typing any paragraph, that is when I have to go back and corrrect a series of mistakes, because of the finger trouble.  I miss out letters because I haven't hit the keys hard enough or hit the one next to the one I need, so all of that is a big problem when I want to post and takes me double the time, like a lot of the other jobs I want to do, so hope the doctor has an answer to it all and the problem can be dealt with.

Hope it will turn into a good weather day for all of you.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri May 20, 2022 9:09 am
Hope you have good news from the doc Pauline.

Have been out quite early this morning as it is now raining again.  Should be going to bowls this afternoon hopefully.  it is quite humid here today.
Jeanmay
Jeanmay

Fri May 20, 2022 9:10 am
Have a nice day today Barbara and David,  how many years?
Pauline
Pauline
Admin

Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 pm
Hello Everyone - Page 3 F1dcuz12  Back again with a quick post as the doctor has been in contact and yes, it is still raining.

Jean, seems nothing too serious from the results of the blood tests.  Hope you enjoy your bowls today.

Well he did mention the high cholesterol and noted what I said about the statins having caused so many problems in the past, but he has asked me to try a different type of tablet (not a statin), which is supposed to help with lowering cholesterol, so will give them a try and see how those go.  Also he has written a prescription for folic acid for me and at the same time I asked him for another ventolin as I have been using my one several times lately (due to the tree pollen) and that is now getting to the end.  He has asked me to take another blood test next week (but having spoken to the surgery I have to wait until Monday 30th for the first one available.  After one month I am to let him know how things are and if I am getting along okay with those tablets (and hopefully they will be causing no problems), but if they do, then he will have to think that one through again.  If everything has been okay then in 3 months I am to have a further blood test and he will be in touch after that result.  Told him I had already bought the Vit D and he did mention that my potasium is a bit high - really don't know what causes that because the foods that contain that I very rarely eat.  Anyway it boils down to the fact that I am generally healthy and there are no nasty illnesses causing the numbness in the fingers - just one of the delights of getting older, the nerve endings playing up.  So diet or no diet I celebrated with a bacon sandwich  Wink.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum